U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,843,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Where is all of this extra wealth going to come from? Do we just print it out of thin air?
Maybe you should look closer.

700 billion of it comes from cutting existing programs, and their associated overhead.

The rest would come from higher taxes. And heres some news for you-for a LOT of people those higher taxes would be offset by the check they receive.

Really in a lot of ways this is our current system, EXCEPT that theres less overhead involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM

30,193 posts, read 16,624,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The government wouldn't be giving anyone anything. It would be the taxpayer as usual.

If someone wants money, make them work for it. What a weird concept nowadays... Work to support yourself. Oh?!
Dang! What is wrong with people? They are so messed up in the head!!!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM

14,298 posts, read 8,108,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Money Fairy, of course!

Clad in the most simmering samite flowing robes, the Money Fairy will mount her Unicorn and descend from the Great Ivory Tower on the Isle of Utopia in the Sea of Kumbaya and dispense free money.

We can make that happen right now. All we have to do is hold hands and sing We are the World.

Donning hearing protection...

Mircea
You just described the liberal's Utopian vision of Obama in 2009. don't worry though, because liberals are brainless lemmings, they will drop one Utopian dream, and pick up the next future failure, and march ever closer to the cliff's edge. Even pointing out the cliff won't halt them, because they are convinced the bottom will be a soft pillowed landing.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Maybe you should look closer.

700 billion of it comes from cutting existing programs, and their associated overhead.

The rest would come from higher taxes. And heres some news for you-for a LOT of people those higher taxes would be offset by the check they receive.

Really in a lot of ways this is our current system, EXCEPT that theres less overhead involved.
$700 billion a year will not be enough. We have averaged the federal government spending far more then that each year, and look at our sad economy.

You think the poor, or average American can possibly spend their money more wisely then the master minds in the federal government can? Wow, that's certainly turning modern liberalism on it's head.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Wow we really are obsessed with money, i mean we are number one in Average Wage, number on in Purchasing power and the largest consumer market and we still want more money?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Most people suggesting these ideas are very specific that they should ONLY apply to natural born citizens.

Some might argue for legal immigrants as well.
Those same people are arguing for illegals to get in-state tuition, free education, home loans, welfare, SANP, Obamacare, etc... and you think this is where they would draw the line?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,287,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why should you help others go to college when no one is helping you. That is called "what's in it for me" selfishness.

Exactly! Why should I? I have no problem helping, but I am not financially responsible for you. I have enough trouble making enough money for myself and my family. Yet, you want to give more of my hard earned dollars. How much will make you happy? When you take 100% of my income to give to someone else? Any time you want something "free" it comes out of someone else's pocket. What about that can't some of you realize? NOTHING in this world is free. Not food, not shelter, and sure not education.

I'm sorry your parents could afford to send you to school. Mine couldn't either. But instead of setting around griping about it, I got to work. And I sure didn't expect anyone to give me anything for free....

Old 11-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,320 posts, read 14,038,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What is the difference between basic income and minimum wage?
minimum wage is higher.....only draw back is you have to work for it....oh my...there is that 4 letter word liberals hate....work

Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,843,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Those same people are arguing for illegals to get in-state tuition, free education, home loans, welfare, SANP, Obamacare, etc... and you think this is where they would draw the line?
VERY few are arguing for that. They can keep arguing for it til they turn blue. Shrug. Im sorry if some possibility in the future scares you. But "these same people"...are lumping together lots of different people. Its a falsehood.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,636,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What is the difference between basic income and minimum wage?
For minimum wage, you need a job. For basic income, you don't. Basic Income is money the government sends to everyone. You don't do anything to earn it. It's an idea that has been floated around a few times over the years as an alternative to the various welfare programs. Institute one basic income program that goes out to everyone, and then eliminate all the individual assistance programs.

The theory is that it would be enough to supplement the poor so they would have a better lifestyle, while at the same time not being so much that an able bodied person would be incentivized not to work.

It's an idea that has been put forth by both liberals and conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies