Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would rather see that money go towards free higher education and trade school education.
Nothing is Free. You mean you would rather give non-paid education to some while others pay for it correct?
While I'm not arguing that an education isn't necessary, the poor have a much better deal now than the middle class when paying for higher education. Ever filled out a FAFSA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Nothing is Free. You mean you would rather give non-paid education to some while others pay for it correct?
While I'm not arguing that an education isn't necessary, the poor have a much better deal now than the middle class when paying for higher education. Ever filled out a FAFSA?
If you wish to get technical, technically everyone would pay for the education by the jobs they achieved after college or trade school, thus paying for future generations. I come from a middle class military family and FAFSA is the only way I was able to go to college, which outside of the grants I used, I still have plenty of loans to pay back which would have been much easier have as it been tied to everyone's taxes rather than saddling people with person debt while they are young.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
This sounds like Star Trek. I am not sure that it is really realistic but more idealistic I would say.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
^^^^^This.

Basically, I get really tired of people saying we should give out free stuff, lots of it....to poorer people. Oh, and when asked how to pay for it....of course the answer is to tax richer people....whom will never see a cent of the money going to programs to help poorer people.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully support social programs that help those that cannot help themselves, those that cannot support their children etc. (school lunches and so forth). However, when you start talking about things that a young adult CAN do through effort and hard work like going to college while working a job etc etc. then it starts to become unfair.

I worked 60-70 hour weeks during the summer when I was in college to help pay my tuition, my parents were middle class. I worked 20 hours a week in highschool at a grocery store and saved a good chunk of that for college. Sorry folks, you want to go to college etc....work for it. If the 5500 in pell etc. aren't enough then go cry somewhere else.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
And the government wiping every American's little tushy would prevent soiled tushies and brown striped underwear.

Where does this BS stop? Whose responsibility is your livelihood? Maybe we all should just stay in cradles for life--the government provides everyone a cradle and little blue or pink blanky... and a robo-nanny with lifelike mammary glands to nurse from. That would end pretty much every discomfort in life, right?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,965 times
Where's this money going to come from?
Sounds like something close to perpetual motion. Tax the crap out of everybody once and it will feed itself from now on. Wouldn't our "shares" get smaller and smaller as the population grew?
Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was it destroyed in a day. A plan like this would effectively start the process.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^^^This.

Basically, I get really tired of people saying we should give out free stuff, lots of it....to poorer people. Oh, and when asked how to pay for it....of course the answer is to tax richer people....whom will never see a cent of the money going to programs to help poorer people.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully support social programs that help those that cannot help themselves, those that cannot support their children etc. (school lunches and so forth). However, when you start talking about things that a young adult CAN do through effort and hard work like going to college while working a job etc etc. then it starts to become unfair.

I worked 60-70 hour weeks during the summer when I was in college to help pay my tuition, my parents were middle class. I worked 20 hours a week in highschool at a grocery store and saved a good chunk of that for college. Sorry folks, you want to go to college etc....work for it. If the 5500 in pell etc. aren't enough then go cry somewhere else.
I worked 40 hrs a week while doing college full time, worked overtime during my summers, paid rent, bills, and food and still had to build up loans to afford to go to college because the cost of college have risen much faster than inflation making it much harder to go to college debt free without having wealthy parents. Granted I had to take go a few extra years due to only being able to afford part time from time to time, though I am much luckier than most because my debt isn't that high, but it would make more sense to have people graduate debt free, this also includes eliminating useless degrees that do nothing but rack up heavy debt with little reward.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
And the money comes from.................where?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
There is already a basic income.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you wish to get technical, technically everyone would pay for the education by the jobs they achieved after college or trade school, thus paying for future generations. I come from a middle class military family and FAFSA is the only way I was able to go to college, which outside of the grants I used, I still have plenty of loans to pay back which would have been much easier have as it been tied to everyone's taxes rather than saddling people with person debt while they are young.
Germany has a system like this as do some other European countries.

There are pros and cons to this system though.

The pro is that if you are a top 20% student you get free college.
The con is that if you are a hard worker but poor test taker they railroad you into trades etc.

Essentially, when you start taking peoples money you are ceding control of your life to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies