Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times

Advertisements

What freaked me was the smoking of cigarettes by newsman on camera, interviewing people smoking cigs, and I think it might of been the Michael Douglass show where his guest were smoking cigs .Another is less partisanship by media and the people. If event happened in our era could you imagine the things CNN and others would say to convince people it was done by {R}s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I would not like the smoking back then. My main observation was how much better the people on the street looked back then.
I like 60's dresses Kathrine Hepburn and Jacklyn Kennedy did set a trend. Seems it was more the religious and the people with money that could afford the nice suits and dresses. Then it went to people like Twiggy and some of the styles she wore are still in fashion today.
BabaMail -Test Yourself: Which Decade Wore it Best?

This is an interesting article on how fashion changed forever........Vintage 1960s Dresses - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly

It was British youth culture, however, that changed fashion, as we know it, forever. In the early '60s, anti-establishment innovators and icons in London like Mary Quant, Ossie Clark, Celia Birtwell, Jean Shrimpton, and Twiggy emerged—eventually they became even bigger influences in the fashion world than the top Paris couture houses.

For the first time since the war, middle-class teenagers and young adults had disposable income and free time to blow, giving them a new power they never had before. Suddenly, the youth in England were a cultural force to be reckoned with. Their parents, sobered by the trauma of World War II, appreciated the value of luxury and sought quiet, modestly successful suburban lives. The kids, on the other hand, rejected and rebelled against this buttoned-down and well-mannered society, which they viewed as oppressive.

These "mods" or "modernists" in the London of 1962 lead fast-paced, high-energy lives, and they were particularly drawn to bright colors and modern shapes. They rode around on Italian scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas, and spent their money on clothes and modern jazz and American soul records. They took amphetamines so they could they dance the night away at clubs that spun rock records by The Who, Small Faces, and The Kinks. Some mods even engaged in highly publicized skirmishes with "rockers"—a more-rural youth "greaser" movement hung-up on the rockabilly styles of the '50s.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Not surprising. What was said on every one of those specials is that Kennedy was beloved by the American public--more than any president since, that the assassination marked the end of innocence in this country and that it was the last time the time people trusted the government in this country. What else could be expected after one nut with a gun changed everything, and gave us Johnson and Nixon? Traumatic to say the least.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
I have been watching those specials on TV about the John F Kennedy assassination. While the act of killing President Kennedy showed there was evil in 1963, the scenes of the people were eye opening.

1) The people were so well mannered and well dressed. Very few fat people, no tattoos, very few sloppy looking folks, men wore suits and ties out in public, women wore dresses.

2) The people interviewed seemed so sincere and nice. There was little of the harshness of today's society.

3) On the negative side, when they showed people of authority, nearly everyone was a middle age white man. My wife kept saying, where are the women? Where are the people of color?

It seemed like a different world.

Anyone else have observations about America in 1963 as shown in the TV Specials about John F Kennedy?
Yeah, it was the 60's. Times change.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
What freaked me was the smoking of cigarettes by newsman on camera, interviewing people smoking cigs, and I think it might of been the Michael Douglass show where his guest were smoking cigs .Another is less partisanship by media and the people. If event happened in our era could you imagine the things CNN and others would say to convince people it was done by {R}s.
Everyone seemed to smoke back then........I bought this big ash tray at an antique store the other day. It's totally 60's orange specking with brown scrolling The lady laughed and said "you must have a plan." not really!

It reminded me of the one my dad and uncles all used and it was always sitting in the middle of the kitchen table.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Yes, tons of smoking.

As far as the media, the Russians (actually Soviet Union but everyone said "Russia" b/c it was easier) were our enemy and everything got blamed on them.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Yes, people did dress better back then, Jack Ruby even wore a suit when he shot Oswald, no "hoodie" for shooters those days.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Everyone seemed to smoke back then........I bought this big ash tray at an antique store the other day. It's totally 60's orange specking with brown scrolling The lady laughed and said "you must have a plan." not really!

It reminded me of the one my dad and uncles all used and it was always sitting in the middle of the kitchen table.
Those big ash trays must of weighed 10 lbs. My fondest memory of those ash trays was watching my dad throw one thru the TV screen during a Nixon speech. We had to watch a black and white for a month with crappy reception

Old 11-18-2013, 09:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
I have been watching those specials on TV about the John F Kennedy assassination. While the act of killing President Kennedy showed there was evil in 1963, the scenes of the people were eye opening.

1) The people were so well mannered and well dressed. Very few fat people, no tattoos, very few sloppy looking folks, men wore suits and ties out in public, women wore dresses.

2) The people interviewed seemed so sincere and nice. There was little of the harshness of today's society.

3) On the negative side, when they showed people of authority, nearly everyone was a middle age white man. My wife kept saying, where are the women? Where are the people of color?

It seemed like a different world.

Anyone else have observations about America in 1963 as shown in the TV Specials about John F Kennedy?
If you are retired now you should remember 1963 and not have to rely on TV for images.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are retired now you should remember 1963 and not have to rely on TV for images.
Good grief what was that all about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies