Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Your argument is a red herring. Wages are set by supply and demand, not by lifestyle choices.

People need to think before setting themselves up with obligations they cannot handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
. My neighbor Juan has worked as a stocker @ Walmart for 14 years, receives section 8, food stamps, and energy assistance, he is married with two children, and is always asking for extentions in paying his rent and other bills. He recently asked another neighbor for $800 to pay his rent and utilities.

Perhaps his Walmart should have a employee food drive to help other needy employees?
You really had the nerve to put this in this thread as if it's a black mark against Walmart??
Go ahead, make it better. Tell us his kids are under the age of 14.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is a good move by this one Walmart to make it a more known issue with how little they are paying their own employees that they need help from others to put food on their tables. Too much money from our country goes to help feeding Walmart workers and other low wage companies like them.
you are completely wrong about that. Yes, there are some who are paid very little and rarely do they have full time work, it is more like 20 to 30 hours a week, but these same people are totally uneducated and many are lucky that WalMart will hire them, no one else would. You don't have to like Walmart, you don't have to shop there, but I will tell you one thing, they are among the top givers to charities of all kinds.

If people want better salaries, they need to get out there and get some serious training or more education.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not look at the employees instead of Walmart.
Walmart hired them; they applied to Walmart.
If they don't like the min wage salary they are free to quit and go elsewhere.
FF/retail has a 75% turnover rate.

You're all acting like these are slave workers making no money.
This is the US folks.
Walmart, just like Target, Kohl's and Macy's is doing nothing wrong and are following all the laws.
My feelings exactly. again, look at many of those who are working at WalMart, they would have trouble finding work at other places. People seem to think everyone should be paid the same or raise the min wage, which means raise the wages for those who are making a little more and this will solve the problems. They still won't really have enough to make ends meet cause the price of everything will continue to increase.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Actually -
Quote:
The original version of this story stated that Wal-Mart was asking customers to donate food. The food drive is actually among employees.
Read more: Wal-Mart Asks Workers To Donate Food - Business Insider

AND if you had read the article, you would have know that. Additionally, you would have found out other pertinent information, that makes this thread a fail.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
It's hilarious when the death vortex known as Walmart moves into a local community, closes all the local competition, closes tons of manufacturing because almost all of their products are cheap made in China crap, and then workers get blamed when the only jobs available that are still left are cashiers at Walmart. There has always been a class of people with less education since this country existed yet we are creating poor Americans at a record pace. There is clearly something systemically wrong with the so called American dream. 40 or 50 years ago CEOs at companies weren't making 3000x the incpme as the average employee- the same CEOS responsible for off shoring all our jobs, killing off labor rights, and still getting paid golden parachutes when their decisions put their companies in the toilet. Only in America does Joe Schmo on the street side with uber rich 1% ers when they're failing to see the pplutocrats continue to gain more power over them through our government and killing off employment. We might as well go back to king, queens, and serfdom at the rate we are going.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
If the majority of Walmart's employees are on welfare programs, then we, the tax payers, are subsidizing their workers while the heads of Walmart cash in.
Who says the majority of Walmart employees are on welfare?

Walmart executives are not responsible for how Walmart employees manage their finances, or how they have managed their lives. They are only responsible for running a successful business and turning a profit for the shareholders (the owners of the company).

Walmart pays its employees to do the job they were hired to do, and they pay them a wage or salary that is commensurate with other similar businesses (which is probably the reason I have seen the same employees for many years, at the Walmart where I shop).

No one forces anyone to work at Walmart, and it probably pays better than working at McDonald's or other fast food chain. And until Obamacare came along, it probably also offered a good health insurance benefit as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
A lot of these posters act as though Walmart is the devil himself. Walmart is a company that has competition, Target, your local grocery chain, Costco and others. It tries to put products on the shelf and sell them at a profit. Part of controlling costs is paying people a wage high enough to give people a reason to work there, and after they give them raises to try to keep them, but no so much that the business loses money. You folks condemn Walmart, but keep in mind, all the restaurants, gasoline stations, and other retail stores you visit pay less than Walmart. Lots of them don't pay any benefits, so Walmart is actually a better alternative than many of these other small businesses.

So what happens if Walmart starts paying everyone $2 more an hour. Well, their profits might likely drop to almost nothing, and the company eventually goes away. They have competition. If their competition under prices them, they lose business and then they are the new KMart. We live in a world of competition. Businesses compete, states compete, nations compete. That is the way the world is folks.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
As taxpayers, then we need to STOP shopping at Walmart and other stores that do not pay very well. We all know that Costco and even Sams pays better wages then Walmart....

I do not shop at Walmart/target, I rarely go to a fast food restaurant, I grocery shop in specialty grocery stores. I grow most of my vegetables and herbs - what I don't grow, I get at the farmer's market. I buy beef and chicken directly from a ranch. I shop for clothes and shoes at local (not chain stores). There are other options. Problem is, most people want it for as cheap as they can get it.....and will not stop shopping at Walmart and the likes, then turn around and complain about them.
This means you pay more than you should for many items. Specialty grocery stores carry many of the same brands that Walmart does, but with a premium price. Those local shops where you buy your clothes also sell the same brands found at chain stores, but at a higher price (but it's nice you support your local businesses).

We have farmers markets around here too in the summertime, but even they bring in vegetables from out of town (and some of them are grown in Mexico). That they are all locally grown is a myth (this isn't 1950).

Shopping for the best price is just good money management.

I also like "one stop shopping" like Walmart because it saves on gasoline. I don't have to drive all over town collecting the things I need from different stores.

But suit yourself, if you can afford to pay more for the things you need. This is America. We have choices. At least we did until Barack Obama came along and is doing his level best to limit our choices.

And by the way, you might find on investigation that those "specialty shops" and botiques where you buy your clothes don't pay their employees any more than Walmart does. Business owners are not stupid. They know what the current wages and salaries are in their business. And those "specialty shops" probably are not offering the benefits to their employees that Walmart and Target do (and, I don't know about Walmart, but I do know that Target - at least in the past, had good benefits). They may pay more if the employees are actually expected to sell, not simply assist customers.

I know of what I speak. My wife spent many years in retailing as a sales person and finally as a GM at an upscale department store in Southern CA on the order of Dillard's (Buffum's - now out of business for many years). She worked at Mongomery Ward, Walker Scott Co. (San Diego), Target, and Buffum's. She was the store manager of the Fashion Valley Buffum's, the Grossmont Center Buffum's, and lastly the Lomas Santa Fe Buffum's until they went out of business.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-20-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
That is actually really good of you to do. I agree, I wish more American consumers would shop with more of a conscience when it comes to things like that because that is the easiest way to force companies to either evolve of disappear.
It's nice if you can afford to pay more for the same items. You are free to do what you think is best, and support the local businesses. Fine. I have to watch my spending, and I think it's wise money management to shop for the best price. I can do that online.

However, it's an assumption on your part to think that any of these specialty shops are paying better wages and benefits than a company like Walmart or Target. People are not stupid, and any smart business owner knows what the prevailing hourly wage is for retail sales people.

This brings up another poing, which I had mentioned in another post on this thread: Walmart employees are not sales people. They are floor workers or cashiers. They keep the shelve properly faced, and the racks orderly. They do not "sell" anything, and are not required to have "selling skills."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies