Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why not look at the employees instead of Walmart.
Walmart hired them; they applied to Walmart.
If they don't like the min wage salary they are free to quit and go elsewhere.
FF/retail has a 75% turnover rate.

You're all acting like these are slave workers making no money.
This is the US folks.
Walmart, just like Target, Kohl's and Macy's is doing nothing wrong and are following all the laws.

You do realize that these are the same people that many people are ranting about who just want "free stuff" from the government don't you? Many people take jobs like Walmart because there are no other choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 PM

It just seems odd to me that they have the audacity to ask one employee who is in need of assistance to help out another instead of paying them all a decent wage in the first place. Like I mentioned before, there some people who are defending owners of Walmart who btw, who have at least three of the top 10 wealthiest people in this country on the Forbes list for reasons I can never understand other than they are in belief that one day they too can become that wealthy.

Mind you that these Walmart employees are also on government assistance as well.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It just seems odd to me that they have the audacity to ask one employee who is in need of assistance to help out another instead of paying them all a decent wage in the first place. Like I mentioned before, there some people who are defending owners of Walmart who btw, who have at least three of the top 10 wealthiest people in this country on the Forbes list for reasons I can never understand other than they are in belief that one day they too can become that wealthy.

Mind you that these Walmart employees are also on government assistance as well
But they aren't on welfare because they work at WMT, they are on welfare because the employee chose to have kids that they can't support.. If WMT implemented a policy that stated: "anybody taking gov't assistance will be fired" you would still have the same people on welfare.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
But they aren't on welfare because they work at WMT, they are on welfare because the employee chose to have kids that they can't support.. If WMT implemented a policy that stated: "anybody taking gov't assistance will be fired" you would still have the same people on welfare.

They are on welfare because Walmart does not pay them a livable wage nothing more and nothing less.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I think it's just terrible how Wal-Mart forces their employees to work for them. I have heard they have dungeons that they punish employees in if they try and look for another job. Some who have tried to leave and work elsewhere have never been seen again. They say that their employee gained experience and left for another job, but who knows the evil that may have been their fate...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
How about a specific statement like "the poor have too many kids"? If a woman is working a min wage job then 1 kid is too many.
That is actually a generalized statement. Blaming a rich oil company because they accidentally pumped the Gulf full of oil is called blaming rich oil for something specific.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I think it's just terrible how Wal-Mart forces their employees to work for them. I have heard they have dungeons that they punish employees in if they try and look for another job. Some who have tried to leave and work elsewhere have never been seen again. They say that their employee gained experience and left for another job, but who knows the evil that may have been their fate...
You are looking at it from the perspective of not being in that situation, which is a probelm that I notice many Americans have....a lack of empathy for their fellow man. Have you ever heard a woman say that she would sell her body to care for her children? A real provider will do anything to make sure that his/her family will have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs and food in their stomach. So working at Walmart for chump change so that my family can survive is a small price to pay.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
You are looking at it from the perspective of not being in that situation, which is a probelm that I notice many Americans have....a lack of empathy for their fellow man. Have you ever heard a woman say that she would sell her body to care for her children? A real provider will do anything to make sure that his/her family will have a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs and food in their stomach. So working at Walmart for chump change so that my family can survive is a small price to pay.
So if you can't afford to have children, why have them? Did someone force them to have sex the same as they are somehow forced to work at Wal Mart? I know a couple that work at Wal Mart. They have been there for some time and actually between them do fairly well. Are they rich? No, but they make a decent living and raise their family. I was once in that position as well. Many many years ago. I found and worked two jobs. There are answers to almost every problem but you have to be willing to make the necessary sacrifices. If you're not willing to, it's not societies responsibility to bail you out of your poor decisions.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
They are on welfare because Walmart does not pay them a livable wage nothing more and nothing less.
That's a load of crap and you know it. WMT pays too much to qualify for welfare until you have kids. What do you want WMT to do exactly? Fire all the welfare people? Force the employees to have abortions? Not hire single mothers? Not hire women of child bearing age? Not hire disabled people?

I seriously don't understand this mindset. If you oppose people using welfare then get rid of welfare. If you oppose welfare recipients working then take away benefits from working people or require them to go to school. However, blaming WMT or any other retailer because a woman chose to have a kid is beyond absurd. I do realize you think it is WMT's fault that a woman chose to have a kid, but WMT has no control over the individual reproductive system and choices made by people.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:

Mind you that these Walmart employees are also on government assistance as well.
And it seems odd to me that even though it has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, people still don't understand that this was employees helping other employees just like they do at jobs all across the world. This was not a corporate policy.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how much Walmart pays its employees. It's just people helping people. You find this activity in all walks of life. When an employee of a company suffers a hardship, their coworkers contribute money to help them.

When a guy at my job Tony had his house flooded, I contributed money to a fund the team sent to help him out. Then when I became disabled, Tony contributed money to a fund the team sent to me to help me out. It's just what decent people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies