Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And it seems odd to me that even though it has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, people still don't understand that this was employees helping other employees just like they do at jobs all across the world. This was not a corporate policy.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how much Walmart pays its employees. It's just people helping people. You find this activity in all walks of life. When an employee of a company suffers a hardship, their coworkers contribute money to help them.

When a guy at my job Tony had his house flooded, I contributed money to a fund the team sent to help him out. Then when I became disabled, Tony contributed money to a fund the team sent to me to help me out. It's just what decent people do.

No I do realize this, but the point remains is that they still do not pay their employee's a living wage. This particular event just happened at that Walmart which does not say that other Walmart employees are rolling in the bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
No I do realize this, but the point remains is that they still do not pay their employee's a living wage. This particular event just happened at that Walmart which does not say that other Walmart employees are rolling in the bucks
As long as an employer is paying at least the federal minimum wage, they are within the limits of the law. Nobody forces these employees to accept employment or to maintain employment at any minimum wage job. It is the individuals responsibility to make his or her own life decisions. It is not Wal-Marts or any other employers responsibility to pay an employee more than is considered legal or warranted by the level of skill a given employee demonstrates.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
No I do realize this, but the point remains is that they still do not pay their employee's a living wage.
So what? Please show me where employers are required to pay a "living wage". Sorry, but all jobs do not warrant this mystical "living wage" you people are crying for.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
So working at Walmart for chump change so that my family can survive is a small price to pay.
And I'm helping those working there by shopping there.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Me, too. Went there today and will likely go back tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As long as an employer is paying at least the federal minimum wage, they are within the limits of the law. Nobody forces these employees to accept employment or to maintain employment at any minimum wage job. It is the individuals responsibility to make his or her own life decisions. It is not Wal-Marts or any other employers responsibility to pay an employee more than is considered legal or warranted by the level of skill a given employee demonstrates.

Well stated. The majority of employees are not tied up, bullied, and blackmailed to take a particular job at a place of employment.

For a certain amount of money. People make their own choices in life, some depend on education which is important.

Your last sentence is right on target.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Not to worry, people! The cons on this forum, who universally adore and defend WalMart, also assure us regularly that private charity can solve all the world's social problems.

End of thread.
And the total non-independent sheeple will turn anything and everything into a partisan issue.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Actually the story was clarified tonight. The drive was set up by employees, for employees. Customers were not asked, and the bins were kept in an employee break area.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Not to worry, people! The cons on this forum, who universally adore and defend WalMart, also assure us regularly that private charity can solve all the world's social problems.

End of thread.
More like, end of stupid comment. I didn't realize that middle-aged mom was a "Con".

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The link title is inconsistent with the body of the article.

The donation area is set up in an "employees only" area.
Walmart is not soliciting food for their employees.
Did you even READ the article, jmqueen? No? You just saw the CD headline and came charging in, blindly and feverishly slamming in to the walls because you couldn't get to the keyboard fast enough to make a smart aleck remark which, unfortunately for you, has no merit?

They are NOT asking the customers to give the employees food. Read the fricken article. Follow the link to the original story. JFC, does everyone have to do your work for you?

They have set up a place in the employee room for fellow workers to give to those who are having a harder time. This is not new. Many offices, businesses, and employers have done this very thing for years. Someone's apartment burns down? The managers or even CEO set up a donation for that employee. Someone's child was murdered. The employer's set up a donation for the mother who works in the office. Someone got in to a debilitating car accident that left them seriously injured? The manager sets up a donation for that person who works in the office. Someone is really hungry, and is having a hard time getting ahead? The company sets up a donation of either food or money, for that person so that fellow employees can chip in and help out.

You know, I didn't make up a single one of those. I have seen every last one of them happen in jobs I've held. Yes, charity does help people. If people were not paying for freeloaders who have learned how to game the system, you would see even MORE money and goods flowing in to charities. But you have no idea how charity works because you've never participated in giving to someone else, have you?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
If you don't like Wal-Mart then don't shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies