U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,501 posts, read 20,863,818 times
Reputation: 13804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
In another twenty years from now will they call this period of time “the good old days”? Maybe looking at the American dream can be best be seen by looking back in time so our future can be as good or better? Do we have enough talent to fix the problems? Does anyone really want anything better then what they have now?

My family’s life today is better then what my father had, and his life was better then his father. I believe in my personal view of my family ~ things improved over the decades. Looking back at the two other generations (3 total) life in America seemed to always get better from time to time. However that was looking at my personal history. Seeing how public education in schools have gone the way it has, how the cost of college has gone beyond the abilities of most families is very alarming to me; and this is only part of the issues that can be looked at.

When looking back at days gone by it was almost impossible to fail. The support of the school, the neighbors and the over all community pushed students to their fullest. Today I see kids at the mall or on the street with little or no ambition, no direction, no motivation and no one to support them in efforts of moving forward in their life. They reflect what I’m seeing in asking about the American Dream. They will never have what my parents had or what I’ve acquired over the years. The fear is that this country is being left behind while other nations move forward.

TnHilltopper is on target with is America safer, are homes more secure, environmental issues, food quality are these better today then in the past?

I'm seeing too many problems with little pro and mostly con.
In all fairness, you may be thinking too much about problems and not enough about opportunties. You may also be falling for imagery designed to keep you out of the loop.

The kids you see at the mall have technological skills and knowledge that our generation could not have imagined. Their directionlessness may well be part of an act they put on to confound older folks -- just as we used to do, with (depending on your generation) leather jackets, hot-rods, and rock and roll, or long hair, beads, and pot smoking, or tatoos and piercings, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the opportunities for people with ambition are as great now as they have ever been. Look at companies like Google and EBay -- they didn't even exist ten years ago, and now they dictate the flow of information and commerce, and are run by twenty-somethings with lofty ideals and creativitiy that explodes constantly. In addition, most families are intact and happy-- and remember, the media doesn't like that combination, preferring as it does to deal with the perverse, the violent, the miserable -- and the urge to live a good life with as much self-actualization and connectedness as possible remains the goal of many more people than its opposite: to give up, to give in to doom and gloom and despair...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
 
11,960 posts, read 17,463,633 times
Reputation: 6063
I love how this same gloom and doom notion is recycled day in and day out. All because its no longer easy to run down to the plant and get a job that required nothing more than a strong back. As if making widgets is something to aspire to.

And is history ever a generous editor. Parents and Grandparents had it better? How exactly? My grandparents had to deal with the double whammy of the Depression and the rise of Fascism in Europe and Asia which led to WWII. One decade my grandad was worrying about food on the table, the next he was charging into German machine guns at Normandy. Oh yea, that was all just TERRIFIC! And then he was allowed to much the same thing again in Korea.

Add to that diseases with no treatments let alone cures, Jim Crow, Joe Stalin, Chairman Mao, college as an elitist institution, the Iron Curtain, police without Miranda restrictions and, one for you kiddies, a whopping three channels of TV.

Of course, they all probably sat around imagining how their grandparents had it better despite slavery, the Civil War, Agrarian dominance of the economy, more diseases, no TV or even radio, no indoor plumbing, etc.

There is something very absurd about people discussing how the American dream is dead by using a computer, something that even in the early 80s was still the stuff of sci fi movies. Maybe someone will finally invent a time machine and a bunch of you can go back to the past. I doubt any of you would last more than a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,501 posts, read 20,863,818 times
Reputation: 13804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I love how this same gloom and doom notion is recycled day in and day out. All because its no longer easy to run down to the plant and get a job that required nothing more than a strong back. As if making widgets is something to aspire to.

And is history ever a generous editor. Parents and Grandparents had it better? How exactly? My grandparents had to deal with the double whammy of the Depression and the rise of Fascism in Europe and Asia which led to WWII. One decade my grandad was worrying about food on the table, the next he was charging into German machine guns at Normandy. Oh yea, that was all just TERRIFIC! And then he was allowed to much the same thing again in Korea.

Add to that diseases with no treatments let alone cures, Jim Crow, Joe Stalin, Chairman Mao, college as an elitist institution, the Iron Curtain, police without Miranda restrictions and, one for you kiddies, a whopping three channels of TV.

Of course, they all probably sat around imagining how their grandparents had it better despite slavery, the Civil War, Agrarian dominance of the economy, more diseases, no TV or even radio, no indoor plumbing, etc.

There is something very absurd about people discussing how the American dream is dead by using a computer, something that even in the early 80s was still the stuff of sci fi movies. Maybe someone will finally invent a time machine and a bunch of you can go back to the past. I doubt any of you would last more than a day.
You got THREE channels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
 
11,960 posts, read 17,463,633 times
Reputation: 6063
6 or so when I was kid. I grew up in after the advent of PBS and there were a couple of localy indy stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,501 posts, read 20,863,818 times
Reputation: 13804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
6 or so when I was kid. I grew up in after the advent of PBS and there were a couple of localy indy stations.
Wow, I'm older than you by far. I even remember round TV tubes.

And color? That was like futurama. We had to go to a rich neighbor's house to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,280,104 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I love how this same gloom and doom notion is recycled day in and day out. All because its no longer easy to run down to the plant and get a job that required nothing more than a strong back. As if making widgets is something to aspire to.
The funny thing is when workers DID make widgets all day the same types complained it was terrible and a travesty these poor people were locked into such a life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,280,104 times
Reputation: 2499
I grew up with only four channels,one being the gov't channel(no-one watched it)

Color TV came along when I was 10 or so.

Of course Australia was a little slow on the uptake back then...

Also grew up with no indoor toilet,it was a long dark and scary walk to the 'dunny'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,501 posts, read 20,863,818 times
Reputation: 13804
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The funny thing is when workers DID make widgets all day the same types complained it was terrible and a travesty these poor people were locked into such a life...
And their goal in life was to offer their children the education and attitude to aspire to something better...like sitting at a computer...communicating with others around the world....expressing their views instantly, freely, without fear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
 
1,735 posts, read 4,225,156 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I love how this same gloom and doom notion is recycled day in and day out. All because its no longer easy to run down to the plant and get a job that required nothing more than a strong back. As if making widgets is something to aspire to.
As you indicate those working at a manufacturing plant are a bunch of dumb people with strong backs.
Clearly you haven’t a clue what making a widget involves.
As I have written in previous posts there are many high level jobs in manufacturing.
All good high paying jobs that require higher education or years of on the job training or mentoring to get.
Most of the jobs are challenging that makes the work interesting and fulfilling.

I’m not sure how aspiring it is to transfer paper from the “in” box to the “out” box, but given the choice I would rather create or improve something than just be a clerk in a big office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
 
11,960 posts, read 17,463,633 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
As you indicate those working at a manufacturing plant are a bunch of dumb people with strong backs.
I said nothing implying such folks are dumb or smart. I am simply referencing a time when it was indeed easy to get assembly line jobs in plants without any high level of education. If such jobs required PhDs, then they certainly would not be relocating to third world countries where people have maybe a third grade education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top