U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What do we do about the children in single-parent families we already have? Pi$$ on them?
Can't stop water under the bridge but we sure as heck can stop funding these single parent baby factories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,378,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What do you suggest where a spouse may have died and left behind children?

What do you suggest where a spouse decides they no longer want to be married, walk away and leave behind children? No everyone who walks away pays child support.
You bring up a very small minority compared to the single parent baby factories who don't know how to keep their legs closed...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM

9,765 posts, read 13,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Honestly - how many trailer parks do you drive through?
Hm, well, there was the one that I lived next to when I was a kid...

There aren't too many trailer parks in Mass, nor were there in the Bay or LA areas; however, there were housing projects - I lived in a couple of those, too, when I was younger, and yes, I drive through a couple of them on a very regular basis... I also still have a couple high school/junior high friends who live in them.

Does that count?

Quote:
Swear on my grand mother's grave the one I drive through --

multiple Obama signs, ZERO Romney signs.
... and how many brand new highline cars and well-kept lawns do you pass by? How many people are sitting on their porches in a beach lounger, tapping away on an iPad?

Be honest, now.

First off, the election is over... second off, if I was living in poverty, why would I support a guy who openly stated he didn't care about me, either?

Quote:
large obesity rates among the kids that walk around with Mountain Dew bottles and Monster Cans - so define "well fed" --
There's nothing "well fed" about sucking down a bottle of high fructose corn syrup, yellow 5 and caffiene and having an enlarged heart with high blood pressure.

Quote:
they are getting enough to eat with free or reduced school breakfast and lunch, WIC, food stamps, and etc...but not the healthiest foods.
It'd be great if schools had enough money to feed kids real food from wholesome ingredients, but no, conservatives love defunding schools because they're "wasteful."

Quote:
You might have stereotypes too.
Of course I do; everyone does

Mine are just probably much more firmly grounded in reality than most Republican and Tea Partiers' are.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM

9,765 posts, read 13,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Can't stop water under the bridge but we sure as heck can stop funding these single parent baby factories...
... so that their children starve to death?

Quote:
You bring up a very small minority compared to the single parent baby factories who don't know how to keep their legs closed...
So, because there are people who cheat the welfare system - or at least, don't live up to your personal standards of what one should meet to qualify for welfare - we should shut down the whole thing?

Typical: if it's broken, don't fix it; DESTROY IT And if anyone dies, well... BOO HOO, not my problem!!

That's what all those POW's and MIA's you'll never forget were fighting for: the right for our nation's malcontents to vote to starve off the undesirables. Yup.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,762,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh really? Only Archie Bunkers would be responsible enough to have life insurance? And millions of women today work and provide the financial support of their children. Divorce does not mean the mother has to never work. Many divorced women do work.
You seem to be stuck in a 1950s time zone.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,490,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You seem to be stuck in a 1950s time zone.
Actualky it seems to me that you are. Women can't work to keep their children from starving? No, this isn't the 50s. Women can work to support their children and many do. Having children is no excuse to lay around on government handouts.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,956,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Honestly - how many trailer parks do you drive through?

Swear on my grand mother's grave the one I drive through --

multiple Obama signs, ZERO Romney signs.

large obesity rates among the kids that walk around with Mountain Dew bottles and Monster Cans - so define "well fed" -- they are getting enough to eat with free or reduced school breakfast and lunch, WIC, food stamps, and etc...but not the healthiest foods.

You might have stereotypes too.

Last I looked - and I have worked with voter lists for many years - most trailer parks have abysmal voter registration, let alone turnout.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM

55,519 posts, read 74,405,087 times
government or daddy paying the bills, either way some adult kid with no means of supporting himself is figuring that somebody else is going to raise his kid.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 PM

510 posts, read 359,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From the article: "Nordic Counties, The Netherlands Have Lowest Rates"

You think there are more fathers remaining with kids in Nordic countries, where very few even get married?
Oh look, you're full of sh+t!

Quote:
In the Netherlands, single mothers run a high risk of becoming poor, even though the country has a well-developed welfare system. This study brings together many partial life histories of single mothers of different cultural backgrounds and origins and shows that poverty is not solely material deprivation. Through its in-depth account of the ways single mothers construct their everyday lives, this book sheds light on the many social, cultural and structural dimensions of poverty.
Single Motherhood and Poverty: The Case of the Netherlands - Annelou Ypeij, Johanna Louisa Ypeij - Google Books

Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 AM

66,196 posts, read 33,604,999 times
Personal accountability.... You mess up and the Government is there to bail you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies