U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,620,476 times
Reputation: 6278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; some Tea Party people are maybe 30 years old so YOU might be gone 1st.
So maybe some of these Tea Party people will see the light and support changing a racially-insulting mascot team name, instead of being rigid about being "anti-PC".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
 
897 posts, read 444,483 times
Reputation: 873
Washington Redskins Change Their Name To The D.C. Redskins | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM
 
688 posts, read 553,404 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; would you feel the same if your kid use the word "redNECK" to talk about a person? BTW: I've known Black people who saw themselves as Rednecks.
No, I wouldn't, because "redneck" describes a characteristic of a person; albeit an unflattering one. "Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe a person's racial makeup. White people, black people, Asian people, Jewish people, truckers, and moonshiners alike can all be considered "rednecks." "Redskin," however, is a demeaning term used to denote a person of a specific ethnic group. For example, if you called me a "redskin" you'd be wrong for two reasons: 1) because it's just an unkind remark to make, and 2) because I'm white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
 
9,094 posts, read 5,614,850 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
So, what we can infer from this thread is that racist people don't mind racist sports team names?
Actually, what can be infered is that among the inordinate number of faults liberals are cursed with, having no sense of humor is one of them!

This may explain why you all are so angry all of the time, and don't play well with othèrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 PM
 
9,094 posts, read 5,614,850 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No, I wouldn't, because "redneck" describes a characteristic of a person; albeit an unflattering one. "Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe a person's racial makeup. White people, black people, Asian people, Jewish people, truckers, and moonshiners alike can all be considered "rednecks." "Redskin," however, is a demeaning term used to denote a person of a specific ethnic group. For example, if you called me a "redskin" you'd be wrong for two reasons: 1) because it's just an unkind remark to make, and 2) because I'm white.
Your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of common sense, given that you apparently believe that an organization would actually adopt a demeaning name for themselves

Is it a requiement to abandon common sense to be a liberal, or is it just that no one with common sense would ever be liberal?

Aside for the hand full of ever whining activists, the majority of American indians polled have absolutely no problem with the name, In fact, native Americans actually participated in the creation of the current Redskin logo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
 
Location: California
30,701 posts, read 33,484,787 times
Reputation: 26124
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I disagree. It's a local issue flaring up - locally.

I'm a little bit of a news junkie, and I'd never heard of any kind of movement against their name until now. I've also spent my whole life in or near two metropolises, so it's not like I'm some "redneck" out in "flyover country" who doesn't have plenty of exposure to liberal or Democrat ideas.

There's no more reason for the President to comment on this as there is for him to comment about the Zimmerman trial, but in both cases, him taking on these local issues helped him politically.
Are you a young news junkie? Because this HAS come up nationally many many times in the last 20 years. Everything starts as a local story and Obama can comment on whatever he wants. Any POTUS can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 PM
 
9,094 posts, read 5,614,850 times
Reputation: 3840
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So maybe some of these Tea Party people will see the light and support changing a racially-insulting mascot team name, instead of being rigid about being "anti-PC".
Or maybe you liberals might want to stop worshiping the federal government thàt committed genocide against those native Americans, rather than worry about the name of a football team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,620,476 times
Reputation: 6278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Or maybe you liberals might want to stop worshiping the federal government thàt committed genocide against those native Americans, rather than worry about the name of a football team?
Yes, there are bigger issues of concern to everyone - but a team with a racial slur for a nickname is offensive and should be changed.

Last edited by silverkris; 11-19-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 PM
 
688 posts, read 553,404 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of common sense, given that you apparently believe that an organization would actually adopt a demeaning name for themselves

Is it a requiement to abandon common sense to be a liberal, or is it just that no one with common sense would ever be liberal?

Aside for the hand full of ever whining activists, the majority of American indians polled have absolutely no problem with the name, In fact, native Americans actually participated in the creation of the current Redskin logo.
Hold on... they did!

And, I'll say this again, a person doesn't need to be a liberal to find racial slurs offensive.

Native Americans have absolutely stood against the name. In fact, the Washington Redskins/NFL just hosted a private meeting with Native Americans disappointed with the NFL's lack of action with regard to a name change this past Wednesday. Whatever poll you read is bull****, it's a stupid football team that could be named anything... so why use a racial slur? They should change their name.

Last edited by CDJD; 11-20-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 AM
 
Location: TX
6,491 posts, read 5,240,480 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Aside for the hand full of ever whining activists, the majority of American indians polled have absolutely no problem with the name, In fact, native Americans actually participated in the creation of the current Redskin logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Native Americans have absolutely stood against the name. In fact, the Washington Redskins/NFL just hosted a private meeting with Native Americans disappointed with the NFL's lack of action with regard to a name change. Whatever poll you read is bull****,
Okay, first person to post a link wins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top