Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
No .. this fact says that all of the money they generate outside of the subsidy stays in their pocket .. to be spent on things like cars, phones, big TV's.

Section 8 is sliding scale and only a percentage of ones income is paid for the rent ... in many cases, one might make $900 or so and still only pay $45 monthly rent. In some states, you can make up to $1300 a month before being cut off from food stamps and more than that before getting cut off of medicaid.

Once you qualify for welfare, in most states, school *Breakfast, and *Lunch are paid for by the taxpayer, not the welfare recipient.

In a nutshell, you can legally go on the Government dole in this country, and keep nearly 100% of your earned income. In other words .. Those who live on Government subsidy, have a higher disposable income ... Disposable in that they are free to spend their pay checks as they please and not have to worry about things like food, education, rent, or healthcare ...
Haha... I love how outraged you are that someone who makes $8/hr (pre-tax) would have the gall to need help to afford food AND health insurance. They're just living in the lap of luxury.

Other than that, maybe you should look up "disposable income" and explain how someone who makes $8/hr ends up w/ more than someone who makes $16/hr, since DI is what you have in your pocket after taxes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Obama got rid of "welfare to work" that Clinton passed.
You sure? Maybe do a little google search and double check that factoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
You seriously think they're even worried about health insurance? They're the very same people who go to the ER for a tummyache or a minor cut then wind up with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills sent to collections, which they have no intentions of paying. I've seen the credit reports. Cell phone bills, Direct TV, store credit cards, you name it, all in collections. Why companies continue to even extend credit to these people baffles me.

I've had Section 8 voucher holders come apply to rent a house or apartment and drive a nicer vehicle than I do. Flashy jewelry, new trendy clothes. Don't sit here and BS me and say they don't have disposable income.

A lot of you people are just spewing talking points you heard somewhere and don't have the first clue what really goes on. There are those of us who see this stuff first hand and don't have to resort to wild accusations and rhetoric. But you can all continue to make it an R thing or a D thing and nothing will ever get done. I guess some people here, on both sides, just like to complain all the time and never actually address problems.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
I guess no one listened to the video. The woman on it asked why should she go to work when she had everything she wants paid for and she can stay home and smoke week all day? She really thought work was for suckers.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
So, if you read the 13th comment to the video in the link, you find out the caller was making the whole thing up to make a point.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You seriously think they're even worried about health insurance? They're the very same people who go to the ER for a tummyache or a minor cut then wind up with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills sent to collections, which they have no intentions of paying. I've seen the credit reports. Cell phone bills, Direct TV, store credit cards, you name it, all in collections. Why companies continue to even extend credit to these people baffles me.

I've had Section 8 voucher holders come apply to rent a house or apartment and drive a nicer vehicle than I do. Flashy jewelry, new trendy clothes. Don't sit here and BS me and say they don't have disposable income.

A lot of you people are just spewing talking points you heard somewhere and don't have the first clue what really goes on. There are those of us who see this stuff first hand and don't have to resort to wild accusations and rhetoric. But you can all continue to make it an R thing or a D thing and nothing will ever get done. I guess some people here, on both sides, just like to complain all the time and never actually address problems.
There was this guy who used to visit the neighbor, he had a Beemer and was on the dole. The neighbors both work very hard and finally told him to leave and don't come back when he was bragging about how he was teaching his son how to play the system.

These types try to fit in with hard working good people but don't realize how they are being looked down on. Not the people who truly need help but the slugs.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Did she have kids. I have written about this before, but my ex baby sitter have 4 kids. All of them under 12. One 2 year old. Her husband is the only one working, making $10 an hour or less. He can't hold a job for more than 2 years at the time. They receive section 8 and food stamps. They recive thousands of dollars every year at tax time. For the last 3 years they have been treating themselves to more fancy electronics and furniture than I could ever afford.
And that is part of the problem. That extreme tax refund should go to paying BACK the section 8, welfare, food stamps, whatever. Instead of fancy electronics, they need to put the money to the PROPER use, maybe getting clothes and school supplies for kids, or, like I said, paying back the people providing them food and shelter... US

Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Of course a lot of these people vote reliably Republican. If you find someone with 4-5 government checks you have probably found a Republican. Start with the VA Disablity program and go down to SS disability and every other handout you can think of and there will more than likely be a Republican at the end. Forget the projects the Tea Party types are all over the place. They are thankful for direct deposit rather than mail because their mail box would be full of checks.
Sure, let's start with VA Disability. To get disability from the VA, one must have received a disabling injury or problem, as a direct result of ACTIVE DUTY. Like me. I will never walk properly again. Neither will I be able to run, dance, walk in the sand, play ball, bowl, etc etc, I take 60mg of morphine daily to deal with the pain caused by my permanent injury. In the past 3 years, It has caused me to fall over a dozen times, breaking bones in my feet, and hand. several weeks ago, I fell again, damaging my left knee, probably doing some more ligament damage. By all means, let's start with the VA disability, and take a look at what happened to those people who volunteered to protect this country, and your ability to kvetch. I would absolutely forgo any and ALL of my disability to be able to run and play with my grand daughter, or walk through a grocery store without having to sit down from the pain. Maybe go bowling again. (I used to hold a 190 average). I will give up my disability check in a heartbeat, if you could fix my damaged knees and ankles, and allow me my life back.

As for SS disability, I can't speak for it, I am sure there are some gaming the system, but probably not many, since they have to go through hell and high water to receive anything from the SS office.

And yes, I am thankful for direct deposit, it mean one less trip for me, less walking. I can remain in my home, sitting down, reveling in the fact that I am in pain 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and no longer able to do many of the things I enjoyed doing, and watch everyone else doing them.

Even though I am disabled, I work 40 hours a week, and I STILL don't have a 60" tv. (I do have an old olevia 37" tv though. I think they sell for about 150$).

Last edited by Darkatt; 11-20-2013 at 03:37 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why should a 17 year old be rewarded with free cash for having babies? Responsible 17 year olds aren't given $8,000 free money.

This is why the welfare class is growing so rapidly.
Because the baby didn't request to be born and go hungry? I don't have a problem with money for food, as long as that's what it's used for. Food, clothing, the necessities. 60" tvs, are not in the category, getting food IS.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Haha... I love how outraged you are that someone who makes $8/hr (pre-tax) would have the gall to need help to afford food AND health insurance. They're just living in the lap of luxury.

Other than that, maybe you should look up "disposable income" and explain how someone who makes $8/hr ends up w/ more than someone who makes $16/hr, since DI is what you have in your pocket after taxes...
He did explain it. You even quoted his explanation. Don't you read what you respond to?

Quote:
You sure? Maybe do a little google search and double check that factoid?
Day 8: Obama edict repealed 1996 welfare reform's work requirement | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Years ago I was sitting in the doctors office listening to 2 teen moms discuss working versus welfare and going back to school versus staying at home with baby; One young mother was about to get her GED and then wanted to continue her education at our near by CC. They also offered childcare for her 2 little ones. The other mother said, oh, I looked into that but I don't want someone taking care of my kid when I can make more money and have better benefits by not working and I don't have to spend time studying and all that stuff. I will remember that conversation for years to come. BTW this was in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies