U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM

650 posts, read 438,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yes, this reminds me of when homesteading pioneers were forced to live in tents and sod houses and "dugouts" until the government came along and built decent affordable housing for them.

oh wait a minute, that never happened.

Each person needs to make themselves sufficiently valuable enough to the rest of society so that they can carry their own weight. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, society needs to make sure they do not starve or freeze to death. The case of a low-skill, low-wage worker is that they are partway to carrying their own weight, thanks to the existence of employers who have figured out how to employ the low-skilled. Your solution would dry up these opportunities, further impoverishing the low-skilled.

I started out as a low-wage, low-skilled worker and now I pay my share of income taxes plus those of a dozen other people. Thank goodness for that first job.
And how does a very profitable company carry their own weight by asking the public to pay for the general maintenance of their machines ( the worker) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM

9,473 posts, read 5,884,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
And how does a company carry their own weight by asking the general public to pay for the maintenance of their machines ( the worker) ?
It's not the business of the company to do anything except pay its own bills.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It's not the business of the company to do anything except pay its own bills.

whats the difference with a company which cannot set aside a budget to maintain machines, sending the machines bill to the taxpayer ?

Last edited by alexcanter; 11-20-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
It's all words to them. Someone else should pay.

I had to laugh when I read about the Hostess bakers.
Why didn't they buy out the mfg plant and run it themselves and pay themselves that livable wage ?
They had the chance.

When it came time to put up or shut up..they shut up and went to the UE office instead.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,984,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanter View Post
And how does a very profitable company carry their own weight by asking the public to pay for the general maintenance of their machines ( the worker) ?
Companies pay the maintenance amount that is required to get the machines to do the job. McDonalds workers do the job for that rate of pay because it's pretty comparable to what that same job would pay with another company. They aren't able to move around and find that much difference in pay because that's the market value. They can, however, increase their skills to the point of finding a job with higher pay. Also, due to the transient nature of that workforce, it typically isn't that long for someone who stays to be able to get a better position within that company or a similar one if they put forth the effort and do a good job.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Companies pay the maintenance amount that is required to get the machines to do the job. McDonalds workers do the job for that rate of pay because it's pretty comparable to what that same job would pay with another company. They aren't able to move around and find that much difference in pay because that's the market value. They can, however, increase their skills to the point of finding a job with higher pay. Also, due to the transient nature of that workforce, it typically isn't that long for someone who stays to be able to get a better position within that company or a similar one if they put forth the effort and do a good job.

So if the people working there were robots who needed oiling its ok to send the bill off to the tax payer. As long as the needs are classified as neccesities there is no human element in the issue. Welcome to the age of the machine where the machine has more rights then the individual.

Last edited by alexcanter; 11-20-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM
bUU

11,907 posts, read 8,620,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The reality is corporations grease the palms of both parties leaders and there would be no political will to place restrictions on them. The idea is a pipe dream.
That's no excuse for not trying to address the exploitation as much as is practicable under the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Personal accountability is so lame. Let's blame conservatives instead.
"Honestly characterizing liberal perspective is so lame. Let's just make up ridiculously nefarious characterizations of the perspectives that stand in the way of our own comfort and luxury and try to pass them off as worthwhile comments."

Quote:
Great- then let's force McDonalds to pay people 50K per year to flip burgers so their employees won't be on the dole.
No: Let's do what I alluded to, not what you tried to insinuate I said because you had no legitimate response to what I actually stated.

Quote:
What would that do to the cost of a burger?
Predictable, Rick - Making this about the burger instead of about the person making the burger. Can you post any rhetoric more stereotypically right-wing-callous?

Quote:
It's up to you as a liberal to try to force someone to give their money to someone else who has not rightfully earned it.
Yet another attempt to try to rationalize inane right-wing nonsense about me forcing anyone, instead of reasonably admitting that we are all member of a society we live in together - including you - and that everything doesn't necessarily have to be always about and for your personal benefit.

Rolling back a post...
Quote:
Liberalism is a vile mental disorder for sure.....
Thanks for demonstrating that all you've got to offer are echoes from the echo chamber you get your "information" from, and that you don't have a legitimate response to the moral repudiation of the perspectives that you support.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 AM

34,921 posts, read 31,961,540 times
This is a great idea. Let's do it to the people who hire illegals too. Even the ones doing day labor, bottom line it's all the same.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:07 AM

9,442 posts, read 5,791,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, if we just starved the poors nothing bad would happen, they'd just quietly go off in a corner and die, and the world would be a better place.

Sigh.

To answer the OP, I think so. I for one am tired of corporate wage subsidies.
Or people would find their own solution. They would cut cable, drop their cell phone, take a bus, work two jobs, eat Top Raman until they gained the skills for a better than minimum wage job, you know all the things people did before welfare handouts.

Liberals are always so generous - with other peoples money.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM

10,032 posts, read 7,106,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's no excuse for not trying to address the exploitation as much as is practicable under the circumstances.

"Honestly characterizing liberal perspective is so lame. Let's just make up ridiculously nefarious characterizations of the perspectives that stand in the way of our own comfort and luxury and try to pass them off as worthwhile comments."

No: Let's do what I alluded to, not what you tried to insinuate I said because you had no legitimate response to what I actually stated.

Predictable, Rick - Making this about the burger instead of about the person making the burger. Can you post any rhetoric more stereotypically right-wing-callous?

Yet another attempt to try to rationalize inane right-wing nonsense about me forcing anyone, instead of reasonably admitting that we are all member of a society we live in together - including you - and that everything doesn't necessarily have to be always about and for your personal benefit.

Rolling back a post...Thanks for demonstrating that all you've got to offer are echoes from the echo chamber you get your "information" from, and that you don't have a legitimate response to the moral repudiation of the perspectives that you support.

Whenever a leftist sees something they disagree with it's not a legitimate response. Go figure. Thanks for demonstrating that all you have to offer is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies