U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
 
4,072 posts, read 9,041,575 times
Reputation: 3289

Advertisements

Mcdonald's now has a phone line where employees can call, and they tell them what government benefits they qualify for and help them apply. I don't think Mcdonalds should be a lucrative profession, but this is BS that the taxpayers are subsidizing their employees.

What about a scenario where we simply track the employers of these poor people and make them pay dollar for dollar for the TANF, food stamps, section 8, heating assistance, etc for each qualifying employee who applies for these programs? Why should the taxpayers be subsidizing there wages and not the employers?


Something I thought up and had never heard proposed before. I think it would be a good way to deal with the situation, while leaving alone the teenager who works a summer job at Dairy Queen and the store owner that hires him.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 11-19-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 PM
 
29,599 posts, read 16,342,548 times
Reputation: 13731
I think welfare should be eliminated along with minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
 
26,302 posts, read 12,780,504 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think welfare should be eliminated along with minimum wage.
Yes, if we just starved the poors nothing bad would happen, they'd just quietly go off in a corner and die, and the world would be a better place.

Sigh.

To answer the OP, I think so. I for one am tired of corporate wage subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM
 
9,665 posts, read 8,625,305 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think welfare should be eliminated along with minimum wage.
Or, you could improve the economy so there is no need for welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,757 posts, read 13,305,601 times
Reputation: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Or, you could improve the economy so there is no need for welfare.
But that would be socialism!

..!!

... right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,757 posts, read 13,305,601 times
Reputation: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think welfare should be eliminated along with minimum wage.
"Helping your fellow man sucks. Watching them starve to death is sexy."

-F. DeForrest,11/19/2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM
 
35,325 posts, read 24,986,098 times
Reputation: 32369
Their tax breaks should be seized to offset the tax costs of their employees. Enough with corporate subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
31,749 posts, read 36,423,371 times
Reputation: 38125
McDonalds should just continue to automate and get rid of those lowly workers with their 8th grade educations.

Or those workers could learn a trade and get a better job. Isn't there a law against slavery ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,757 posts, read 13,305,601 times
Reputation: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
McDonalds should just continue to automate and get rid of those lowly workers with their 8th grade educations.

Or those workers could learn a trade and get a better job. Isn't there a law against slavery ?
... and maybe the reason that they only got an 8th grade education is because our public educational system is broken, primarily because it's been defunded by conservatives. Maybe they can't learn a trade because the process of keeping their heads above water and food on the table doesn't work out with the schedule for school...

... moreover, who's to say that they'd even be able to find work after they're out, considering that many of our "skilled" jobs have been devalued and outsourced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 5,884,123 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Mcdonald's now has a phone line where employees can call, and they tell them what government benefits they qualify for and help them apply. I don't think Mcdonalds should be a lucrative profession, but this is BS that the taxpayers are subsidizing their employees.

What about a scenario where we simply track the employers of these poor people and make them pay dollar for dollar for the TANF, food stamps, section 8, heating assistance, etc for each qualifying employee who applies for these programs? Why should the taxpayers be subsidizing there wages and not the employers?


Something I thought up and had never heard proposed before. I think it would be a good way to deal with the situation, while leaving alone the teenager who works a summer job at Dairy Queen and the store owner that hires him.
So, what you want is a situation where there's no entry level jobs at all, and getting your first job may take you 5 years or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top