Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Have the government run it ?

A state owned and run industry ?
When has the government ever taken over something and costs didn't skyrocket ?
When has the government every taken over and prices go down and the government gets revenue ?

Are you people out of your mind ? ..."have the government run it"...

Never thought I'd see Americans asking for communism to rule this country.

Go move to Venezuela. Maduro is waging his war against the capitalists with price controls, profit controls and outright taking over a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Proof of residence required.

Vermont has the two best Senators of any state in the nation, it is no surprise they will lead the way in fixing a completely corrupted health care system.
I don't know. Sounds discriminatory. What about those that have no id?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I don't know. Sounds discriminatory. What about those that have no id?
Proof of residency usually means a lease, utility bill, etc...something to prove you live there.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Proof of residency usually means a lease, utility bill, etc...something to prove you live there.
Ah. Ok, I get it now.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Have the government run it ?

A state owned and run industry ?
When has the government ever taken over something and costs didn't skyrocket ?
When has the government every taken over and prices go down and the government gets revenue ?

Are you people out of your mind ? ..."have the government run it"...

Never thought I'd see Americans asking for communism to rule this country.

Go move to Venezuela. Maduro is waging his war against the capitalists with price controls, profit controls and outright taking over a business.
You are right taxes would go up to cover the cost of single payer universal health care but in return every one gets healthcare from cradle to grave with no loopholes IMO a worthy deal.
PS I'm not American and for my countries single payer universal health care the government deducts around $50 per paycheck..

Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are right taxes would go up to cover the cost of single payer universal health care but in return every one gets healthcare from cradle to grave with no loopholes IMO a worthy deal.
PS I'm not American and for my countries single payer universal health care the government deducts around $50 per paycheck..
It's more than taxes.
Government would have to take over the industry and invoke price controls, salary controls, profit controls.
Government would have to control the cost as well as the payment.
And the government does have some direct involvement in European countries.

For medicare government controls how much they will pay doctors. Government has no control over the cost of the service.

As costs rise though the government payments don't cover it and then the doctor operates at a loss.
That is why you read about so many seniors not able to find a new doctor.

My MIL moved and searched for nearly a year for a new doctor in her area that took new medicare patients.
There's only so many loss patients a doctor can absorb.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Exciting that they are doing that. May it spread to the entire nation.
If the rest of the nation had a similar makeup as Vermont it might work, but it doesn't. Do you really see that system working in Detroit? Or do you expect the people in Vermont to subsidize the people of Michigan as well as their own state?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
Most of the funding comes from 49 other states but it will be interesting to see how this works out for them.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
It's more than taxes.
Government would have to take over the industry and invoke price controls, salary controls, profit controls.
Government would have to control the cost as well as the payment.
And the government does have some direct involvement in European countries.

For medicare government controls how much they will pay doctors. Government has no control over the cost of the service.

As costs rise though the government payments don't cover it and then the doctor operates at a loss.
That is why you read about so many seniors not able to find a new doctor.

My MIL moved and searched for nearly a year for a new doctor in her area that took new medicare patients.
There's only so many loss patients a doctor can absorb.
From my Canadian perspective what it costs is entirely between the Medical community and that department of government that deals with healthcare i just pay taxes and some of it is allocated to healthcare.
The days of the family doctor seem to have transcended into walk-clinics where several doctors reside, here in Montreal theres many clinics in every community, getting your medical maladies seen to is not a problem.
However the topic isnt about my Canadian healthcare its about the American effort to provide healthcare to all its people something that is of interest to most Canadians because of how difficult it apparently is for Americans to come to a solution to the problem when it seems so easy to accept for us we never give it a moments thought.
HappyTexan if your uncompromising view of your government is wide spread i can well see why your country is having such a delema with its healthcare system.
IMO not all government programs are detrimental to the country as a whole,some programs can be quite beneficial if given a chance, i doubt theres many people in countries with universal healthcare who would readily scrap their healthcare program in favor of private enterprise running the show..

Last edited by jambo101; 11-22-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 02:05 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The taxes in VT are already too high. People have been literally taxed out of their homes. The only thing that's kept it from getting worse is income sensitivity on property taxes, and now our governor wants to gut that: Shumlin joins call for property tax reform *:*Rutland Herald Online

VT can't afford single payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies