Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Proof of residence required.

Vermont has the two best Senators of any state in the nation, it is no surprise they will lead the way in fixing a completely corrupted health care system.
Agreed, because there has never been corruption in the government, they should be able to handle is so much better. Sort of like the post office except it will be in charge of your health. Kudos!

Can't wait to go to the hospital with a bleeding headwound only to have some fat slob behind the counter say "Go to the next window, I'm on my break."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Says the poster who presumes to declare that is and is not constitutional despite the fact that the Constitution itself says that the SCOTUS does that.
Where does it say that in the Constitution? Jefferson could not find it in the Constitution.

Facts, not lies:

Quote:

Many legal scholars argue that the power of judicial review in the United
States predated Marbury, and that Marbury v. Madison was merely the first
Supreme Court case to exercise an already existing power. Such scholars point to
statements about judicial review made in the Constitutional Convention and the
state ratifying conventions, statements about judicial review in publications
debating ratification and court cases before Marbury
that involved judicial review. Nothing in the text of the Constitution, however,
explicitly authorized the power of judicial review prior to this monumental
case.

Last edited by whogo; 11-23-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Single payer systems might be a wise choice for small states. There is not enough business to fight over making competitive pricing and insurance offerings very unlikely. Wyoming, which has the highest prices on the insurance exchange, should be considering this too.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From my Canadian perspective what it costs is entirely between the Medical community and that department of government that deals with healthcare i just pay taxes and some of it is allocated to healthcare.
The days of the family doctor seem to have transcended into walk-clinics where several doctors reside, here in Montreal theres many clinics in every community, getting your medical maladies seen to is not a problem.
However the topic isnt about my Canadian healthcare its about the American effort to provide healthcare to all its people something that is of interest to most Canadians because of how difficult it apparently is for Americans to come to a solution to the problem when it seems so easy to accept for us we never give it a moments thought.
HappyTexan if your uncompromising view of your government is wide spread i can well see why your country is having such a delema with its healthcare system.
IMO not all government programs are detrimental to the country as a whole,some programs can be quite beneficial if given a chance, i doubt theres many people in countries with universal healthcare who would readily scrap their healthcare program in favor of private enterprise running the show..
It's not my viewpoint at all; it's FACT.

Our government does not get involved with cost containment.
They only pay out so much regardless of the cost.
That's how medicare works.

Our current system is not like yours in Canada, not in the least bit.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
General payroll taxes seem to be half what we are paying up here in Canada, your sales tax is 6% ours is around 15%, I seem to be missing where your taxes are so high people are losing their homes and a single payer healthcare system is unattainable..
If its just the property taxes thats sinking the state maybe some examples so i could understand the depth of the problem..
Vermont Income Tax Brackets 2013
Not sure of the basis for the poster's comments, however, can't really directly compare dynamics or management of Canadian economy to US based on just tax rates. But especially comparing VT to Canada really wouldn't work.
Canada is like 33rd in population, but 2nd in geography. You have ranges in unemployment in Canada that vary greatly also. It can't just be simplified down to tax rates because you have to look at the financial and economic markets and where the money is coming from and how it is being managed.

VT is 45th geographically in US and 49th population wise. They rate 20th in med household income. 34th in per capita GSP.

Certainly, a small place is an easier way to do this. Notice what takes the number 1 and 2 place in VT GSP also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont
Also notice this:
An increasingly aging population is expected to improve the position of aging services and health care in the state economy. In 2013, Fletcher Allen Health Care, with 7,100 employees, was the second-largest employer of people in the state and the largest private employer.[123]
In 2010, all of Vermont's hospitals billed patients $3.76 billion, and collected $2 billion.[126] 92,000 people are enrolled in Medicare. In 2011, Medicare spent $740 million on health care in the state.[103]

Captive insurance plays an increasingly large role in Vermont's economy. With this form of alternative insurance, large corporations or industry associations form standalone insurance companies to insure their own risks, thereby substantially reducing their insurance premiums and gaining a significant measure of control over types of risks to be covered. There are also significant tax advantages to be gained from the formation and operation of captive insurance companies. According to the Insurance Information Institute, Vermont in 2009 was the world's third-largest domicile for captive insurance companies, following Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.[141] In 2009, there were 560 such companies.[142] In 2010, the state had 900 such companies.[143]

Also their unemployment appears lower compared to other places in US.
U3 4.4 vs U6 9.4

Looking at their CAFR is also very important.
http://finance.vermont.gov/reports_a...lications/CAFR

Last edited by CDusr; 11-23-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Thats obvious, we have a universal healthcare system whereby all Canadians are covered from cradle to grave,, I'm not sure what America has other than 30-40 million of its citizens with no healthcare.
I'm just trying to understand why that is..

Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Thats obvious, we have a universal healthcare system whereby all Canadians are covered from cradle to grave,, I'm not sure what America has other than 30-40 million of its citizens with no healthcare.
I'm just trying to understand why that is..
Actually they get healthcare, they choose not to have health insurance.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually they get healthcare, they choose not to have health insurance.
That really depends - it's been estimated that the number of American citizens who want insurance but are uninsured over the long term (like >1-2 years) is around 7 million, not 30-40 million. Even they can obtain health care at emergency rooms if they want it, but the care is substandard and they usually can't pay for it afterwards. A significant portion of people who are uninsured are those who are healthy and have enough money to cover most medical expenses out of pocket. Conversely, many people that do have health insurance get lousy health care, and sometimes no care at all (or at least any care that delivers a better outcome than the uninsured get).

In short, health care and health insurance are not the same thing at all. It has been well-documented that having health insurance is no guarantee that you will obtain health care any better than what the uninsured receive (sometimes the outcomes are actually worse), and conversely some people without insurance get very good health care. The health care itself has problems, but most of what is described as the health care problem relates to the cost of it and how you pay for it.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Actually, CMS (Medicare) is very concerned re cost containment. Medigap is changing, currently some of its latest plans have elements of cost containment within them. Lots of studies are going on for Medigap vs Advantage re the best models for cost containment. The Advantage plans seem to have the edge.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Medigap move toward the HMO model in the near future with the goal being better cost containment.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That really depends - it's been estimated that the number of American citizens who want insurance but are uninsured over the long term (like >1-2 years) is around 7 million, not 30-40 million. Even they can obtain health care at emergency rooms if they want it, but the care is substandard and they usually can't pay for it afterwards. A significant portion of people who are uninsured are those who are healthy and have enough money to cover most medical expenses out of pocket. Conversely, many people that do have health insurance get lousy health care, and sometimes no care at all (or at least any care that delivers a better outcome than the uninsured get).

In short, health care and health insurance are not the same thing at all. It has been well-documented that having health insurance is no guarantee that you will obtain health care any better than what the uninsured receive (sometimes the outcomes are actually worse), and conversely some people without insurance get very good health care. The health care itself has problems, but most of what is described as the health care problem relates to the cost of it and how you pay for it.
Good points Pat however those that obtain their healthcare for free arent actually getting that medical treatment for free the tax payers are footing the bill,it would seem a better option in my opinion to have the majority of these uninsured on some form of affordable insurance so the insurance pays instead of the tax payer,The insurance companies win as they get millions of new customers and the uninsured win because they can now afford a healthcare plan.

I've never heard your estimates of only 7 million being uninsured, everything i've read or heard has put the figure at 30-40 million. I find it hard to believe this whole healthcare debacle is over a mere 7 million uninsured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies