Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Gizmo,
Didn't mean to be offending and my apologies. To answer your question.

Many times yes. Those who cannot hack it in an Infantry Line Battalion, will be reassigned if they can't make it as a member of a rifle squad.

The thing is, that ITB/Boot/Grunt school or whatever represents a canned situation or scenario. When a unit is actually training/fighting, they are bringing almost their entire MTOE (military table of organization and equipment) to wherever they are going. That could be medium machine guns, mortars, radios, batteries, etc. You figure you got to carry all of this stuff with a real-world packing list of stuff, that you actually are going to need, on your back, with a full basic load of ammo, food, water, clothes, etc.

Then do that over real-world terrain. Not a nature hike along a hardball or dirt road. I'm talking over mountain ridges, through swamps, temperate forests or jungles. And do this, day in and day out.

The Infantry will tear apart your body faster than you can say orthopedics. Luckily I wasn't an 11B or 0311 but was assigned as an artillery Forward Observer to an infantry unit for over a year. I was 23 years old.
I appreciate the apology, and your direct & informative answer. I've never served, nor have any desire to, so I really didn't know how these things worked. And for the record, I don't doubt that MOST women cannot handle such rigorous physical feats - lawd knows I would fail even at boot camp, lol.

My only opinion on the issue is that women should be allowed to TRY, and if they succeed we should give them the kudos they deserve. If they fail, well, I guess that is on them. But why all the backlash against these women who did what they were asked, and apparently did it well? I just don't get the anger from some people over that, which is why I brought up the issue of sexism earlier in the discussion.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I'd say this thread outlines pretty starkly the differences between Dems and Republicans when it comes to women.

Night and day.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
My dad's a liberal freak (and a Vietnam veteran) that could kick your butt from here to Mars.
Haha. I think people forget how many liberals serve/d, and that they're not (even civilians) all like the kooks in Berkeley... even us Bay Area folks refer to it as "Berzerkely," so you know it has to be fringe behavior.

I know many liberals who've served in the military, including my late grandfather who served in WWII... also used to have a former Naval officer friend who was not only liberal, but a M2F transsexual to boot. Even in a dress and heels, he could probably kick some butts!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM

455 posts, read 597,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha. I think people forget how many liberals serve/d, and that they're not (even civilians) all like the kooks in Berkeley... even us Bay Area folks refer to it as "Berzerkely," so you know it has to be fringe behavior.

I know many liberals who've served in the military, including my late grandfather who served in WWII... also used to have a former Naval officer friend who was not only liberal, but a M2F transsexual to boot. Even in a dress and heels, he could probably kick some butts!
Not surprised Gizmo. Well, we (the US Armed Forces) are the largest cross-section of America. I'm an independent, who votes both R's and D's, but have many liberal and conservative friends still serving.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Apparently being politically correct and stylish is rather expensive.
Sure, more women will fail to make it than men, on average.

But those that do make it could probably whip you like a little doggie chew toy.

And they have earned a shot, much moreso than the conservatives who oppose them.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Not surprised Gizmo. Well, we (the US Armed Forces) are the largest cross-section of America. I'm an independent, who votes both R's and D's, but have many liberal and conservative friends still serving.
I'm an independent too (left-leaning on social issues), but still get annoyed with all the "liberals hate the military" comments! It's like some people think only diehard conservatives join up, and that the rest of us are burning flags on our lawns. As you said, the military pretty much covers the gamut in terms of demographics - and even when it comes to civilians, just because one votes Dem and/or opposes WAR, that doesn't mean they hate our troops.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM

455 posts, read 597,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm an independent too (left-leaning on social issues), but still get annoyed with all the "liberals hate the military" comments! It's like some people think only diehard conservatives join up, and that the rest of us are burning flags on our lawns. As you said, the military pretty much covers the gamut in terms of demographics - and even when it comes to civilians, just because one votes Dem and/or opposes WAR, that doesn't mean they hate our troops.
Agreed. I too lean left on many social issues. I live in Berkeley Jr. but I've had many more positive experiences here than negatives ones as far as being a military member.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'd say this thread outlines pretty starkly the differences between Dems and Republicans when it comes to women.

Night and day.
Yes republicans want to protect women and take care of them and let them raise their families and democrats want them to go die in combat. Very stark contrast.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
How am I threatened by women? I just don't wont political correctness to yet again destroy something that was working perfectly fine.

Again, do you really think a squadron of female marines can perform better than a squadron of males? If so, you have probably been watching too many movies or played Tomb Raider far too much.
It depends on the women.
Since the Marines are a small assault force, of course the physical standards won't be lowered for them. The Marines are supposed to face any opponent, no matter how large or small the opposing force.

I wouldn't pick a fight any sooner with a female Marine who has passed combat certs than I would a man. There are lots of small male Marines who could kick my butt, and I don't see any difference between them and a female.

And after all, Audie Murphy was only 5'5" and slightly built. Possessing the will to fight hard is greater than physical size and strength any day. The Japanese taught us that lesson in WWII.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Hate to tell you this but the Army did this decades ago. From about 1975-1982 they sent women through boot camp with men. My wife was in one of these boot camps and had to do everything the men did. Firing rifles, firing the LAW, setting up camp, throwing grenades in the assault course. You name it. Sprained her ankle marching and caught pneumonia will in the field (because of torrential rain while they were out there). But still graduated boot camp. But she did not, and from what she told me, none of the females, went on to infantry units.

Here is a link if it works:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56988011,d.aWM
Actually, the lowering of standards for women in the military began under Carter in 1977. The Army also has multiple boot camps that depend on one's future MOS. Trust me, your wife never had to meet the same standards as those with the MOS 11B. Your wife had an administrative or support MOS, which means that she certainly did not attend boot camp at Fort Jackson, SC, Fort Bragg, NC, or Fort Hood, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies