Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

First, end the useless war on drugs.

Second, eliminate all of these SWAT teams. They are way over used.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 PM

329 posts, read 460,517 times
Problem is you, guys...

Replace USA citizen by Swiss, Swedish, or Norway citizen and USA will become like heaven....

So the bad guys in general is all of you.

The end.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
First, end the useless war on drugs.

Second, eliminate all of these SWAT teams. They are way over used.
And this will improve public/police relations? While to a degree, I follow what you're trying to say, I don't know if these are core problems.

OK, little history. My last dealing with LE, was when my loved one was attacked. It was not a pretty day. She defended herself, resulting in serious, permanent, damage to her attacker. At great cost to her, emotionally. The officers who responded to the scene were good guys. They took her statement, did their jobs with pfoffesional courtesy, and did their best to reassure her they were on her side. It was a pretty clear cut case. Later questioning by others was not so helpful. Yes, I hold a grudge for their actions. Justifiably so. They were consumate pricks. Former, big city metro types, tbey should have stayed there. The attitude they gave is the one I'm talking about here, as the thread core. It is becoming more prevalent.

I feel this trend needs to be reversed, and I know a LOT of now former cops, who feel the same.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
LE is only one part of the equation. Our entire governmental system is in need of extreme overhaul. There are reasons crime is as high as it is and the government is responsible.

Just as the government creates terrorism by illegal overseas intervention, it creates crime here at home by means of illegal drug laws and fiscal policy that crates poverty.

Government is unlike any other entity in that it creates the need for itself. It has no incentive whatsoever to solve problems and has every incentive to create more of them in order to justify its existence and its need for growth.

Last edited by jimhcom; 11-21-2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
The Hegelian Dialectic! Agenda: Centralization of Power >Thesis: Manufactured Terrorist Threat >Anti-Thesis: Repressive Police State > Synthesis: Removal Of Freedoms, Transfer Of Power From The Many To The Few

Most American sheep are too stupid to realize what's going on. Again, the cops are the biggest terrorist gang threat in this country.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:46 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Another thing. Teach your kids that people with integrity don't become cops. Teach them what a vile group of people they are. Raise them to live with respect to mankind and to help, not abuse their fellow neighbors. Maybe if people wised up enough to not go into that vile profession things would change.

But who am I kidding? Bullies gravitate towards the position and always will.
I don`t teach my kids to hate cops. Republicans, yes, but not the police.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I'm tired of hearing about how dangerous our streets are.

They are actually less dangerous than in the 80's and 90's when the drug and gang wars were really raging. And on that same note, what about those Americans who LIVE IN THOSE NEIGHBORHOODS?

LEO is becoming an oppressive force to good people. They are abusing the rights of thousands of Americans and there is no adequate government body to deal with their widespread corruption.

To me, the current crop are disgracing the badge. I say that about all because the good cops aren't doing enough to "Police" their own.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I think what most are missing: we now have 24/7 coverage thus we are more aware of every little thing that happens. 90% of our police force, no matter where we live are good, hard working, honest men and woman who put their lives at stake every day for us. There are always going to be jerks out there, in every field and the type of person who chooses a field like police work does have a somewhat different personality. We do not realize what these men and women are faced with. I do not think they are that much different than ever, we just hear more about it now, plus we have so much on video, some factual and some not.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Yep, for every bad story there were thousands of interactions that went as they should on any given day. That doesn't mean the bad actions should be excused or swept under the rug.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:46 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There have been a rash of LE misconduct threads lately, bringing many arguments both critical and supportive of these actions. Personally, I am quite critical of LE, that's no secret, however, I do have a bit of objectivity as well.

Our streets have become a dangerous place. One need not look far to support that statement. Cops are tasked with keeping law and order in this environment, which is, quite often, not exactly just another day at work. This is very apparent in the equipment that modern patrolmen hit the streets with. An average patrolman has a ubiquitous sidearm, pepper spray, Taser, PR 24 or nightstick, some type of edged tool, often, officers wear sap gloves, a shotgun and now a tactical rifle or carbine is standard as well. That's quite an array of force, all on ONE patrolman. The combined manpower of a police/ sheriffs dept is an impressive array of force. If I were patroling certain areas, I would feel better being so equipped, but, this is where the caveat lies, for me.

We don't often hear of LE applying this force on well armed criminals, drug dealers, gangs and such. We have been hearinv about a lot of common citizens catching it full in the teeth.

This has been cause for much controversy and heated argument. Without examining each situation its hard to make specifics here, but anyone who has been here for a spell is familiar with many recent incidents. I have to wonder, is the aray of pain dispensing gear, now so common on a patrolmans belt and in the cruiser actually necessary, or is it exacerbating things? It does appear, that officers are trending toward being very quick to use these implements, in lieu of another form of deescalating confrontational situations. Even just verbal ones. I fully understand tasing or shelacking a physical subject, but is this really a proper way to handle someone who just has a big, foul mouth?

The latter brings up the language that officers are using so commonly now as well. The F bomb, used so often in forceful commands, and even not so forceful ones, taints things for me.

These are just tbe high spots that come to mind. I'm not throwing any labels out there, or trying to insult LEOs. Truly, I welcome commentary from LE regarding this, and wish to proceed with objectivity and an open mind. Something, I admit, I have been shy on in some prior discussions. As a citizen, I am quite concerned with this issue and have been quite distrustful of LE of late. Officers I see, daily, are intimidating people. In look, demeanor and equipage. What, I wonder, is LE becoming?
There is no more officer friendly, LE looks at everyone as a potential enemy. They are becoming paramilitary, have you seen some of the police cars? They stop just short of being military vehicle's. This is all thanks to the patriot act and funding from homeland security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies