Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM

310 posts, read 256,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now that's interesting coming from a con. I thought you guys were all about cost, shopping around for the lowest price colonoscopy, etc.
That is incredibly ignorant, I am not a conservative. Maybe instead of trying to insult people you know nothing about you should think first. But go ahead and keep up with the left/right paradigm, seems to be working so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 01:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did 8 years in the US Coast Guard and then used the GI Bill to get a BS in Engineering.
The help wasn't extended to me though.
I sought it out. I put my time in to reap the benefits.
NCLB money was used for me to get my Math 4-8 teaching cert. and paid for my schooling (2 years worth). Transition to Teaching..a federally funded program created by NCLB.
Again..it wasn't extended to me. I sought it out.
The GI Bill has been a tremendous benefit offered to those who served in the military. And obviously it was a very good helping hand for you. And so was the NCLB funding.

Given that, why do you begrudge the efforts to help everyone as far as healthcare is concerned? I think some form of Medicare for all would be the best for this country. We all would benefit thru it in the resulting lower healthcare costs.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The GI Bill has been a tremendous benefit offered to those who served in the military. And obviously it was a very good helping hand for you. And so was the NCLB funding.

Given that, why do you begrudge the efforts to help everyone as far as healthcare is concerned? I think some form of Medicare for all would be the best for this country. We all would benefit thru it in the resulting lower healthcare costs.
It's not an altruistic approach that's why.
It was put together by the insurance industry to benefit the insurance industry.
And there's a built in bailout for them should claims get too high.

What I think the USG should have done:
Take them in under medicaid/medicare, charge them nominal premiums and up our FICA instead.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:55 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
It's not an altruistic approach that's why.
It was put together by the insurance industry to benefit the insurance industry.
And there's a built in bailout for them should claims get too high.

What I think the USG should have done:
Take them in under medicaid/medicare, charge them nominal premiums and up our FICA instead.
Good. You are describing exactly what I wrote.

I'm certainly no fan of Obamacare. The best thing that could happen IMO is that it collapse and take the insurance companies with it. Hopefully, that will be sooner than later. With those out of the way the
US can move toward a better approach.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Good. You are describing exactly what I wrote.

I'm certainly no fan of Obamacare. The best thing that could happen IMO is that it collapse and take the insurance companies with it. Hopefully, that will be sooner than later. With those out of the way the
US can move toward a better approach.
I'm not against helping people via increased taxes.

But Obamacare doesn't do that.

Insurance companies are getting tax dollars.
Insurance companies are guaranteed a financial bailout with tax dollars if claims go too high.
Drug companies got guarantees their name brand drugs would be used.

Don't forget..we have a FIRE economy.
We blew up the F and the RE already.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
I grew up in the same time-frame as you. I do understand what you are saying.

Most people do the best they can. And most will pay what they reasonably can. Sometimes though, in spite of best efforts and doing everything correctly, things do happen.

Not all of us have huge CC bills nor do we drive new cars (mine is 13 years old). Likewise, not everyone has a paid off house (I do). You were lucky (so was I) and somewhere along the way help was extended to you (and to me). Deny it if you wish but its true.

Most people are fairly healthy, even those on Medicare are. And most won't hit the $12k cap. Unfortunately, a few will. And generally, thru no fault of their own.
I'm another one with only one credit card and a 13 year old car (with less than 50,000 kms on it).
Still runs beautifully and no rust.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm another one with only one credit card and a 13 year old car (with less than 50,000 kms on it).
Still runs beautifully and no rust.
You LIE!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You LIE!
Nope. It has no rust. It's a Hyundai Tiburon and I love it. Held up really well.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Ok... if health insurance is no longer "for profit" what is the incentive to provide good coverage?

Please don't tell me that you trust the Government and human nature.

Good grief.
You actually think "for profit" health insurance is motivated by providing quality health care?? Health care workers provide the quality care, not the insurance companies.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
It's not a debate anymore.
It's the law now.

Costs are shared. The young and the healthy will pay more to cover the old and the sick.
....as well as subsidizing families that make up to $90,000 a year.
You can be pretty sure they aren't families living hand to mouth and living in tenements and 'dying in the streets' for lack of health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies