Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Here are the requirements to become a NYC Firefighter... I don't see anything about "women get a free pass" in there, but it does clearly state one MUST pass all physical tests (with no amendments for gender).

Firefighter Eligibility Requirements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Social conservatives wouldn't vote to put women in the military in the first place.

You are right that that is my intention. My intention is that if women are equals under the law, they should entirely be equal under the law.
That's your "intention"? You might do better to write you members of Congress about it than to whine about it here.

You have written your members of Congress proposing to expand selective service registration to men and women, right?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
I'm all for more women serving in the armed forces and if we have a draft, one day in the future, I support drafting them for the service.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Right. Because women cry to get their way.
Nice try, but that "crying" response had nothing to do with getting one's way (especially since most women here seem to agree with the idea of selective service). It was more like a "somebody call the waaaambulance" response.

For the record, I have never cried to get my way - at least, not since I was a child. I actually tend to have the opposite reaction... for example when I'm pulled over by the police, I usually get more stoic and/or mad than weepy.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
It was never about equality.
Women are a superior gender, who's right to life supersedes men.
But they want equal privileges for unequal obligations.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
That's your "intention"? You might do better to write you members of Congress about it than to whine about it here.

You have written your members of Congress proposing to expand selective service registration to men and women, right?
How do you know that poster hasn't written Congress, signed petitions, etc? And the only one whining here is the OP, while the women responding seem to be fine with the idea. Boy, people do like to make up "outrage" even when it doesn't exist! They didn't start the thread, though, so why aren't you telling the OP to stop whining on message boards about it?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Liberals don't like equality .
When things were equal , a man had to earn the respect of other men, it was not granted to him with out earning it.
You don't see the Japanese demanding equality , even though they were put in camps during the war .
They earned respect, and maintain it because they police their own into proper respect and behavior.
Not one of the groups that have demanded equal rights have the discipline to do the same ,not one .
The Japanese across the board are more respected than almost any other race here .
I am not Japanese , nor connected in any way, nor do I have any thing to gain.
I believe these things from my 60 years dealing with these good people.
As to the OP,
It's not equality .

Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
It was never about equality.
Women are a superior gender, who's right to life supersedes men.
But they want equal privileges for unequal obligations.
What does that even mean? For the last time, equality is not SAMENESS... and when there is something biologically different that we have no control over (i.e. menstruation, childbirth, physical size), it is literally impossible to make everything into an even playing field. And since equal rights are more about things like employment opportunities and legal protections, whether we're all physically as strong as a man is irrelevant.

But just because we can't always meet the physical requirements of every job, does that mean we deserve less equality under the law? Do you feel the same about MEN who are smaller, disabled, or otherwise unable to do things like carrying a dead body? I guess they should have their other rights restricted too, and shouldn't be allowed to apply for those jobs... is that your line of thinking here, or does it only apply to women?

Here's a plan: Make women sign up if they're eligible for military service, and then assign them (if drafted) according to their abilities. If they're slightly built with no upper body strength, for example, give them a desk job; if they're huge and strong, let them test for the more physical military assignments. Isn't that kind of how it works for men? Seems fair to me.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I think that both males and females should have to sign up for selective service. Since there hasn't been a draft in ages, it really doesn't make any difference in daily life.
Yes it does. Failing to sign up is almost as bad as being convicted of a felony. You are barred for life from Federal employment, government back student loans, and a host of other penalties. It is flat out discrimination and government gets away with it.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Liberals don't like equality .
When things were equal , a man had to earn the respect of other men, it was not granted to him with out earning it.
You don't see the Japanese demanding equality , even though they were put in camps during the war .
They earned respect, and maintain it because they police their own into proper respect and behavior.
Not one of the groups that have demanded equal rights have the discipline to do the same ,not one .
The Japanese across the board are more respected than almost any other race here .
I am not Japanese , nor connected in any way, nor do I have any thing to gain.
I believe these things from my 60 years dealing with these good people.
As to the OP,
It's not equality .
You think the Japanese have never demanded equality, and didn't protest against the internment camps? Think again: The Spokesman-Review.com - Film uncovers Japanese protests against internment (I could find more examples, too)

And I don't know a single Japanese person who doesn't want equality, or currently receive equal rights in the US. If you're using the past as an example, pretty much anyone who wasn't white, male, and Christian, was treated unequally... I'm glad that has changed, aren't you? Or do you want us to return to the days of separate water fountains, restricted voting rights, etc?

P.S. Japanese isn't a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies