Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you feel guilty if you committed a justifiable homicide?
No, I would feel proud and sleep like a baby. 17 13.39%
No, I wouldn't care. 22 17.32%
Depends who it was and why I had to kill them. 54 42.52%
Yes, I would be deeply disturbed. 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I'm a firearm self defense Instructor. Anyone who says it wouldn't bother them is out of touch with reality. No matter how justifiable the shooting may be, the after effects are unavoidable. Even experiencing the life endangering situation that requires you to defend yourself will give you sleepless nights. In our classes we always interview folks and make sure they think about what it would be like to shoot someone if necessary. We don't want people to hesitate if they draw their firearm, that could get them killed.
Which gender tends to be the one more to hesitate on shooting? The fear of being raped is enough to want to stop the invader before the crime happens. I would hope it wouldn't bother me if it was my life in danger, if it was by accident or mistaken identity this is another emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
I do not know about killing anyone I much rather just leave them paralyzed from the neck down so when they go to jail all they can do is sit there and poop in a bag all day . I am sure jail would be fun in a wheel chair and cant do a dam thing.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
In America we cherish the right to self defense and killing an aggressor if the need arises. Do you think you could sleep soundly at night if you killed a mugger or someone else who was threatening you, or would you feel somewhat guilty/disturbed by it even if you were justified in doing so?
yes i would be deeply disturbed by taking another human life. it doesnt matter why, it doesnt matter that i am justified in taking that life, i would still have taken the life of another human being, and that would sadden me.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
In America we cherish the right to self defense and killing an aggressor if the need arises. Do you think you could sleep soundly at night if you killed a mugger or someone else who was threatening you, or would you feel somewhat guilty/disturbed by it even if you were justified in doing so?

nope, have done so in the past and I sleep like a baby. I don't feel proud about it, just something that I did to defend myself and my family.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Wow, less than 1/4 said they'd be disturbed? That is disturbing. I'd like to think people would at least be upset at the idea. I mean, I didn't feel that bad about killing the mouse in my apartment, but I'd think killing a person would upset me a lot more. :O

Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
To be honest, for me it would depend upon the situation. Icing a kid who was obviously drunk, or a young man as old as my son who was trying to pull something, where as the rational adult I could not deescalate the situation, would feel pretty bad. That person is some mother's son. That said, if I felt my family was in danger, I would do what is necessary. It would be awful, but my protective instincts would take over. I cannot say how I would feel years later. But life can be hard, so no use torturing yourself over its imperfections, if you know you did what you had to.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-23-2013 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
This thread does tell allot about human beings.
We are born with different levels of empathy and the way we care about others, even complete strangers. Some people are real soft and cry about everything. Some people are the total opposite and think their actions are justified as long as they are legal and rarely feel bad about hurting peoples feelings if they think they are justified. Then there are all of us in between.
Regardless of where we fall, most of us are still law abiding citizen and go through life successfully.

So don't be so surprised about the poll results because it simply explains human nature.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
But again, you never really know what you would do in a situation unless it actually happens to you.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
4. Honor your father and your mother
5. You shall not kill
6. You shall not commit adultery
7. You shall not steal
8. You shall not bear false witness
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods

Enough.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,454 times
Quote:
Wow, less than 1/4 said they'd be disturbed? That is disturbing. I'd like to think people would at least be upset at the idea. I mean, I didn't feel that bad about killing the mouse in my apartment, but I'd think killing a person would upset me a lot more. :O

And some of these people almost seem to have a swagger while they're saying they would sleep like babies. It is a little odd. I'm not against killing for self defense but to take pride in it almost seems like overkill......pun unintended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies