Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you feel guilty if you committed a justifiable homicide?
No, I would feel proud and sleep like a baby. 17 13.39%
No, I wouldn't care. 22 17.32%
Depends who it was and why I had to kill them. 54 42.52%
Yes, I would be deeply disturbed. 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:01 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times

Advertisements

Anybody who says they would sleep like normal is full of shi *. Even if you are in the right, and take out a thug, you may have to look over your shoulder for the rest of your life. Also ,litigation and legal fees can be very costly. Just pulling out the firearm can cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars even if you did nothing wrong ( Mind you I live in a liberal state so my viewpoint maybe skewed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
How would anyone know the answer to this question unless they have actually experienced it?
Yeah i'm thinking the same thing. I don't think a person would really know unless they have done it.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
It really depends on what the criminal was doing.
In discussing the idea of shooting someone who burglarizes my house, I realized that while ALL burglars and thieves deserve to be punished regardless of the reason that they are committing the crime, they do not all deserve to die. We love to cast people as good or evil, but would I feel right about shooting a man dead who came into my home to steal some money or a tv or something? The guy may be stealing it to buy drugs or he may be stealing it because he doesn't have a job and has a family to support. AGAIN, EITHER WAY HE DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED. But killed? No.

On the other hand if someone is attacking me to be or especially my wife, kids, family or friends actual physical harm, or murder or rape them, and my defense results in their death, I'm sure I'd never be able to "get over it" but I don't think I'd feel overly guilty about it. Of course this scenario only works if the attack is unwarranted. If I, let's just say, saw a kid walking around a neighborhood that I didn't think he belonged in and I called the police and they told me to leave him alone and I didn't, and I went to him and began harassing him and he fought back, I think it would be gutless for me to kill him since I was the one who put him in that position in the first place, for instance.
I do not feel that burglary is punishable by death, but if you're home at the time, and are armed, and you don't know the intention of the burglar, they may get killed.

Always ask the perp if my stuff is worth their life before you ask me if my stuff is worth their life.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Yet, lefties sleep like babies while supporting the wholesale murder of babies.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:23 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who is taking pride in it? Please post the post you are talking about....
post number 52 seems to take pride in sending someone to the hospital. I answered you earlier but of course a mod didn't like the way I answered so he/she deleted it. Typical.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yet, lefties sleep like babies while supporting the wholesale murder of babies.
Abortion isn't muder, nor is it on topic.
Perhaps your post will be deleted by an eager mod like half of mine seem to be of late.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
post number 52 seems to take pride in sending someone to the hospital. I answered you earlier but of course a mod dind't like the way I did it so he/she deleted it. Typical.
Not pride, just factually describing the way I felt.

Under the same circumstances today, I would do the same, and not feel remorse.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not pride, just factually describing the way I felt.

Under the same circumstances today, I would do the same, and not feel remorse.
My mistake and I hope you don't have to do it again.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
If someone is out to harm me or out to harm anyone and ends up trying to harm me and my toddler, why should I care if I end up killing him or her? They don't care about my life. Why should I carry about theirs?!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Said it before, It all depends on the situation. If it was my friend or a family member who snapped and left me no choice I would agonize over it.
Intruder breaks into my home I am going center mass until he is down. I will not warn him, I will not negotiate, I will not waste one word on him. I would then search my home to make sure there are no other intruders, then I would call the police.
I have no sympathy for criminals. If they care so little about their own life, why should I care about them?
I live in a good place, crime is very low and I don't worry about it in the least. I think too many people spend too much energy worrying about a very very slight chance of being robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies