Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,355,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
All that would do is ensure that even fewer women come forward with their rapes.

False accusations are horrible. They're also incredibly rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Really?..the only "fewer women" who would come forward would be the ones making false allegations.

If false allegations are so rare then punishment for them would also be..don't you think?
I think you are incorrect on both counts. People don't have to be guilty to fear being "found" guilty in a court of law and made to serve time in prison. That's because people, quite simply, don't have to be guilty to be "found" guilty and sentenced, and most people know that. Based on what we know from the media, it's reasonable to conclude there are more innocent people being thrown in prison for all sorts of crimes they didn't commit than women falsely accusing men of rape and trying to take them to court. To think this wouldn't extend to women who have in fact been raped by the men they're accusing but just can't convince the court of that is rather naive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I agree with everything else, but the last sentence doesn't make sense to me. It could be a matter of forced rape (the original definition), something you would surely take seriously, and a woman would still have to consider how not being able to prove she was raped by the defendant could land her in prison, despite what limitations the law is given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that would be unconstitutional, anyway.
Yeah, but that's not enough to stop it from happening, in the real world. So the Constitution is not enough to convince women who've been raped that they should come forward because the truth is on their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the idea is to make more of an effort to prosecute people who file rape accusations that can be proven to be untrue.
I get the idea just fine; it's not all that complicated. But we're assuming that what's "proven" in the courtroom is always the truth, or at least forgetting how often it isn't. That's why I agree with charolastra when they say it would likely keep a lot of rape victims from coming forward at all. Because it's a risk no matter how much God or the truth is on their side, and they know it. If it were me, and there was any chance I'd spend even half a year in prison, I wouldn't say anything at all. I'd just battle with the pain of having been raped on my own, because at least I'd get to be around my family and friends in the meantime.

It's hard enough on women who are raped and contemplating seeking justice, for just the reasons jmqueen pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,566,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Too many women are using the accusation of rape as a weapon against innocent men.
How many?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:46 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,193,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If a woman is willing to let an innocent man spend 20 years in prison for something she lied about, then if found guilty she should serve the same sentence the innocent man would have served.
I agree...and same should go for scum like this guy...which I doubt will ever happen...that's probably why women who send an innocent person to jail and then recant are treated so leniently.
Corrupt Prosecutor Faces 10 Days In Jail After Sending Innocent Man To Prison For 25 Years - informationliberation

Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,193,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahaha

You haven't been paying attention to the justice system, have you?

ANY woman who brings a rape charge is automatically "tried" during the trial for being a ****, asking for it, etc. etc. Ask any defense attorney. It's standard procedure.

So adding new fuel to that fire …

No way would I take that chance -- inviting the defense to not only **** shame me which they already do, but to try to "prove" that I made it up?

Nope. Personally I'd run as fast as I could in the opposite direction.
Oh, I've been paying attention all right...I agree with what you've said.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,633,484 times
i think in addition to felony perjury charges, which if convicted should bring a hefty jail sentence, perhaps 5 years minimum, she should also be facing hefty fines, say $100,000 minimum, and must automatically pay court ordered restitution to the man she wrongfully accused.

BUT this does not mean that if the man goes through trial and is acquitted on these charges, that the women should face these penalties, unless it is proven that during the trial she indeed did lie under oath and falsely accused the person in question. it does become a sticky wicket though when dealing with things like this.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,288,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahaha

You haven't been paying attention to the justice system, have you?

ANY woman who brings a rape charge is automatically "tried" during the trial for being a ****, asking for it, etc. etc. Ask any defense attorney. It's standard procedure.

So adding new fuel to that fire …

No way would I take that chance -- inviting the defense to not only **** shame me which they already do, but to try to "prove" that I made it up?

Nope. Personally I'd run as fast as I could in the opposite direction.
Oh, bull.

Any MAN accused of rape is tried and convicted in the media and socially long before there is any trial. A woman accuses a man of rape, her name is protected, even throughout the trial. But as soon as a mere accusation takes place, the man's name is published and his life is hell. Courtrooms are not pleasant places, but far worse for the defendant than a witness.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:56 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,288,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How many?
False accusation of rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like between 10 and 25% of rape accusations are false.

False Rape Accusations May Be More Common Than Thought | Fox News

Quote:

They stated,
"Every year since 1989, in about 25 percent of the sexual assault cases referred
to the FBI where results could be obtained, the primary suspect has been
excluded by forensic DNA testing. Specifically, FBI officials report that out of
roughly 10,000 sexual assault cases since 1989, about 2,000 tests have been
inconclusive, about 2,000 tests have excluded the primary suspect, and about
6,000 have "matched" or included the primary suspect."

The authors continued, "these percentages have remained constant for 7 years,
and the National Institute of Justice's informal survey of private laboratories
reveals a strikingly similar 26 percent exclusion rate."

If the foregoing results can be extrapolated, then the rate of false reports
is roughly between 20 (if DNA excludes an accused) to 40 percent (if
inconclusive DNA is added). The relatively low estimate of 25 to 26 percent is
probably accurate, especially since it is supported by other sources.

Even some of the most "liberal", feminists sites place it at 8%.

What kind of lying scumbag accuses someone of something like this, when it didn't happen?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,380,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Too many women are using the accusation of rape as a weapon against innocent men. They are worse than the rapist. They are out to have someone's life destroyed and them spend years, if not decades, in prison. Scum all. Now, a deliberate false accusation is far from lack of "proof" of rape. Not every case where a victim steps forward ends with a conviction, due to lack of evidence, or simply the jury's verdict for whatever reason. Lack of proof of a rape does not prove that the person made a deliberate, false accusation.
My first thought was exactly how does one prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the woman was NOT raped?

In all my years of working in courts, I have only heard of one case where the woman's story was questionable.....but then I wasn't involved in the trial so I don't know how it turned out.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 11-25-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
How many?
That was my question too. And how would anybody gather statistics on such a thing? Just because a defendant is not found guilty does not mean he is innocent.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The Jameis Winston/FSU deal has me thinking again. If the guy committed rape, then I think he should have the book thrown at him. But going back to the Duke lacrosse case, there have been SOME women who have made these accusations for attention/money/regret/whatever and it's RUINED the lives of the men they've accused and it's terrible.

I believe the time should fit the crime, so I am in no way advocating that sentencing be 25 years or something, but does anyone else believe that this should be a lower degree felony punishable by a few years in prison? Some of these women have ruined these men's lives with their accusations, I believe theirs should be ruined with a felony on their record.
Do you have a link to the story about Jameis Winston story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies