Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Not all leftist hate free market. I love the fact that Lasik and cosmetic procedure have gone down in prices due to the free market. I love the fact that LCD tv's are about a 500 to a grand now where as when they first came out, it was about 15k. That is awesome. But what many on the right don't seem to understand is how inelastic plasticity in many sections of healthcare don't fall under free market principles and they will continue to ignore this aspect and shout out "FREE MARKET IS THE CURE FOR HEALTHCARE COSTS" when inelastic plasticity can not and will not ever be subject to free market principles.
About that Lasik. I heard Rand Paul mention that prices came down and researched it, as it was $2,500 per eye when I looked at it in 2003. It is not much different now. The new better technology costs the same as it did then. Also the good doctors still charge that much. What is cheaper is the old technology and "discount doctors" as more doctors take lessons in performing the surgery. Don't know if I would go with a discount when it comes to eyesight.

There has never been a "free marketplace" of health insurance for women, anyone over a certain age or anyone who has ever been sick. Many types of insurance do not seem subject to the rules of a free market. There has not been a free marketplace for homeowners' insurance in Florida since 2005. You pretty much take whatever lousy coverage you can get and it is not cheap and there is not competitive pricing--just keeps going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
About that Lasik. I heard Rand Paul mention that prices came down and researched it, as it was $2,500 per eye when I looked at it in 2003. It is not much different now. The new better technology costs the same as it did then. Also the good doctors still charge that much. What is cheaper is the old technology and "discount doctors" as more doctors take lessons in performing the surgery. Don't know if I would go with a discount when it comes to eyesight.

There has never been a "free marketplace" of health insurance for women, anyone over a certain age or anyone who has ever been sick. Many types of insurance do not seem subject to the rules of a free market. There has not been a free marketplace for homeowners' insurance in Florida since 2005. You pretty much take whatever lousy coverage you can get and it is not cheap and there is not competitive pricing--just keeps going up.
I have had personal anecdotal evidence showing reduction in lasik from where it was. Still, free market usually lowers prices when inelastic supply and demand doesn't exist for a certain product or service.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because the insurance company allows that extra cost because it is a for-profit system. Seriously, that is it, no magic to it, that is the root of the problem. Healthcare should not be a for-profit system. Don't know how else to say it for you so that you get it.
How much should doctors earn?

Should housing be for-profit? What about food?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
You do realize that some of the biggest offenders in the healthcare business are non-profits, right?

Nonprofit hospital makes billions: Should it get a tax break? - CBS News
And they are being sued for it, if it was a for - profit hospital it would have just been called business as usual. That is the difference.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How much should doctors earn?

Should housing be for-profit? What about food?
Non-profit doesn't mean doctors work for free or minimum wage. You know that, right?

Also, housing and food are a part of for-profit markets, but I am not sure where you are going with that strawman statement.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Non-profit doesn't mean doctors work for free or minimum wage. You know that, right?

Also, housing and food are a part of for-profit markets, but I am not sure where you are going with that strawman statement.
I know that. But I think you are misguided about the profit in healthcare.

In another active thread somebody posted that housing and food and healthcare are basic rights. I'm just curious why healthcare is always singled out as the right that should be "non-profit".

Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post

However if a system existed that can empirically verify that catastropic insurance coverage and more involvement at the patient level would lower costs across the board...I'd be for it.
You doubt that consumer involvement in the market will cause cost reductions? What are you smoking? This is elementary reality 001.

But you believe government can jump into a system and make it less expensive. This has NEVER happened, EVER.

The belief in in fallible government is just a religion with you, isn't it? There is NO evidence anywhere on the globe that supports what you take as gospel truth... And a universe of it that proves what you doubt.

Quote:
I don't care who manages it...as long as it's more affordable. Singapore's system is interesting to me....the government does play a large role but the role is in increasing patient autonomy. From what I understand basically everyone is obligated to have an HSA with mandatory contribution amounts set at the federal level and the only insurance available is catastrophic coverage which is very inexpensive.
Why don't you learn what "insurance" is. Go read the definition, and then figure out why pre-paid services via an insurance company is monumentally stupid.

Quote:
With these HSA's...everyone pays out of pocket for ALL medical procedures and ALL medical procedures cost something. This encourages competition which has done a lot of good for their healthcare system and basically the only thing a claim is filed for is something like an open-heart surgery, chemo, or something very expensive. From what I understand healthcare is very inexpensive in Singapore and of high quality. Now...I don't know how the very poor are assisted which is a concern of mine but aside from that it seems like the Singaporean system is effective and has done a good job of increasing accessibility.
You know, capitalism and free markets work. They are the ONLY things that work. Period.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Think about where 80% of the total healthcare dollars are spent and who controls that segment...

That's the answer.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What are the Alternatives of Obamacare?

Anyone have any good plans?
None.

I second the free market.

Social engineering always fails.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times
I have a great alternative. It's quite simple really. I buy my insurance. If you want, you can even buy yours. Perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies