Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how often I have experienced that. The welfare office (I still call it that) is in the same building as the DMV where I used to live. I was never so irritated as to see tons of people going in and out of that building that drove nice cars, whose kids had iphones and gameboys and wearing bling.

And going through line in Walmart, to see them buy stacks of packaged foods, frozen foods, and junk food with EBT's and then cases of pepsi or coke and energy drinks and coffee and whatnot with cash. And follow them out of the store to see them get into a 2004 SUV. They're poor? By what standard? They lived with far more materialistic stuff than I did, perhaps because they never paid a medical bill, collected hundreds of dollars in foodstamps, worked under the table to stay on subsidized housing and every other form of welfare, sent their kids to school on the public dime or even went themselves fully paid for, while cheating on their welfare, schoolwork, and working for cash under the table.

No, I KNOW these things, because I know some of them personally. And there's a whole BIG subculture of this stuff, who have made it a lifestyle - a lifestyle shared and perpetuated generationally.

Do you know why? It does not mean that they are working the system, but have other ways of making money. there are women who get child support, have boyfriends that work, sell candy, cigarettes, iceballs ect from their homes that are not reported. the sad part about it is that those who are looking from the outside only see the things that they bought and assume that they got from being on assistance.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, I advocate that the individual be responsible for obtaining the absolute maximum use of what they have before they're given someone else's earnings. If you can afford to smoke or drink coffee, you have money for food. Because coffee, smoking, alcohol, cable tv, big screen tv's smart phones, bling, are luxuries. If you have them, you're NOT POOR.
Your tax money is NOT YOURS once you pay it. Taxes are your contributions for the privilege of living in this country. The majority of people in this country decided that WE want to have government social programs to help the less fortunate, therefore, we have them. AGAIN, I haven't seen big screen TVs and smart phones, and "bling" in the homes of the poor people I've met. "Bling".....interesting word. Does that by any chance mean that you think the only people on public assistance are minorities? I'll bet that's the stereotype you're thinking about.

I'm beginning to understand your perspective though. Seems as if it's more a matter of extreme attachment to $$$$ and the belief that YOU get to determine where the money you pay in taxes is spent. I don't like my tax money being spent on war, or war weapons, or corporate subsidies, etc., etc.; however, I do accept the fact that the majority of voters determine how those taxes are spent when they vote for their candidates. When your Party wins, guess you can lobby really hard for the conditions you want in re who qualifies for public assistance.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
What's the average monthly reduction in benefits? Something like $30, right? They can buy store brand items instead of brand name. No big deal.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

My argument is that church donations should not be considered charitable donations.
That really depends on the church and I know most in my area do lot of good for the poor and needy.

If you want another specific example the Catholic church subsidizes their schools, that both allows lower income people the chance to get their kid a private education and more importantly for the taxpayer takes the burden off the public schools.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Second, the U.S. is the richest country in the world. WHY should the children of our citizens go hungry?
If any child is going hungry in this nation it's because of neglect by the parent. Period.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What's the average monthly reduction in benefits? Something like $30, right? They can buy store brand items instead of brand name. No big deal.
What makes you think poor people buy "name brand" items in the first place?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess that you are not that well versed on national policies because you would have known that it takes years from it's inception to implementation to it actually working. For example look how long that it took for the bill for the Iraq war to hit home and we are still reeling from them. How long did it take for you to benefit from Reagan's "trickle down" down theory of economics?
Funny but when Carter's and Clinton's Community Reinvestment Act sunk the housing mortgage market, it was Bush's fault. Radical liberals are hypocrites.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If any child is going hungry in this nation it's because of neglect by the parent. Period.
There are many, many reasons why a parent cannot feed a child. One that jumps out at me right away is low IQ and therefore very low earning capacity. Additionally, no child should be punished with hunger because they were born into a poor family.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Funny but when Carter's and Clinton's Community Reinvestment Act sunk the housing mortgage market, it was Bush's fault. Radical liberals are hypocrites.

Dear god! That was caused by the roll-back of banking regulations over a period of time. IMO, many radical conservatives are blind hypocrites.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
I guess that the last 5 years have been absolutely brutal on the lower class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies