Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM

26,467 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You mean the same mercenary opportunist as this Joe? You guys are funny. The tea party and a desperate John McCain use this guy in the election (and lose) and then the lunatic fringe elevates him to some kind of leader. He'll even come over to your house and talk to you for $1,000. Why don't you guys all chip in and Joe will come over and tell you how to fix the country.

Joe the Plumberâ„¢ publishes racist article on blog - NY Daily News

Joe the Plumber: OK to pay myself - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Joe the Plumberâ„¢ to fix pipes, U.S. debt - Lucy McCalmont - POLITICO.com

Joe the Plumber on the Holocaust - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Joe the Plumber blows a gasket on CNN - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com

'Joe the Plumber' raffles AR-15 rifle - Katie Glueck - POLITICO.com
Because this citizen asked a legitimate question to a candidate running for the highest office in the land (maybe world?), you feel the Democrats and their media allies were free to dig deep into his personal life and trash him? A lot of that is BS stretching. You are fine with trashing Joe the Plumber, because he dared asked a candidate a question so he is an awful human being for claiming the Holocaust was made possible through gun control.....but you are fine with Obama lying about the circumstances of his mother's death, lying about not knowing Rev. Wright made frequent controversial comments, and etc... Look in the mirror and say hello to the problem with America.

He did get a lot of media attention...for being one of the few people to ask a question to a candidate for the highest office in the land that wasn't a soft lob for an easy homerun. I think Republicans were thrilled with anyone asking Obama a question that wasn't meant to elicit a prearranged talking point with a zinger or catch phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think Republicans were thrilled with anyone asking Obama a question that wasn't meant to elicit a prearranged talking point with a zinger or catch phrase.
More like "astonished".

Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
I'll say what everyone should be saying...

"I have no clue how this health care initiative will impact me until it actually impacts me."

Until then, I'm just going to have to wait and see how it plays out.

All I know is my father recently had a stroke and the hospital bills exceeded $150 K. Thankfully, because he has Medicare as well as supplemental insurance he pays for, we were only responsible for paying $2 K. One of the drugs he has to take costs $350 a month and isn't covered by most providers. Thankfully, we can afford to pay that.

But this experience has caused me to wonder about the folks who can't pay such medical costs. What happens to them? What do they do?

I don't mind losing a little so others can gain a little. The reason being that for every lowlife out there who abuses the system, there are many many more decent, honest, hardworking folks who could use a helping hand. Why punish those in need because of what a few do for greed?

Obama or not, I'm all for making the system better even if the ride is bumpy along the way. We have to start somewhere, no? Doesn't Obamacare at least put SOMETHING on the table for us to start the discussion on? I'm tired of inaction.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
But this experience has caused me to wonder about the folks who can't pay such medical costs. What happens to them? What do they do?
It varies, but generally they get treatment for things that are immediately life threatening, get bills impossible to recover from, and then die.

Of course that assumes that they even discover the issue before falling over dead, or being so far gone that they die. Like my mother did. Felt ill, couldn't afford to be seen, and by the time she fell over and we discovered the cancer it was way too late.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I'm not so sure this was a secret. In CA it's been spoken about publically for quite awhile. It's the only way the "risk pool" can handle everyone.

There is a lot about this country, when it comes to personal finance, that is unsustainable anymore. Nobody likes to think it's going to be them (including ME) that has been getting a deal on the backs of those who have less but it is the honest truth. It's hard to see beyond your own bank account, I know this and agree with this. I also have seen and continue to learn about how that's dragging down the entire country. I'm not a happy camper either way but I prefer to face reality than hide my head in the sand.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Dude..healthcare is by definition a redistribution of wealth scheme.

Everyone needs it at some point, and we don't check people's bank accounts before deciding whether to let them die outside the ER or let them in and save their lives. And everyone's care costs money, and the people with money are always going to end up covering the tab one way or another. And nobody can afford the full cost of their care out of pocket, especially when it gets really serious, which is why we have insurance - which anyway is a redistribution of premium dollars from healthy to sick people at any given time.

Because everyone is in the pool when it comes to healthcare, we have to find a way for everyone to contribute what they can.
This piece of logic is going to fly over their heads.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Dude..healthcare is by definition a redistribution of wealth scheme.

Everyone needs it at some point, and we don't check people's bank accounts before deciding whether to let them die outside the ER or let them in and save their lives. And everyone's care costs money, and the people with money are always going to end up covering the tab one way or another. And nobody can afford the full cost of their care out of pocket, especially when it gets really serious, which is why we have insurance - which anyway is a redistribution of premium dollars from healthy to sick people at any given time.

Because everyone is in the pool when it comes to healthcare, we have to find a way for everyone to contribute what they can.
Back when we had more freedoms and rights, we would volunteer to enter into a health care insurance pool with other people, the same as we do for car and home owners insurance. People paid a premium according to health, age, etc..

Now, the game has been nationalized by the Democrats, a gun is pointed to our heads and we are forced by government to only purchase government approved health care insurance from a private third party corporation. The game is rigged, and we are forced to pay to play against our will in a game designed by nameless, faceless bureaucrats, even our outcomes are predetermined and since we cannot win, are losses are automatically collected as a matter of policy.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This piece of logic is going to fly over their heads.
Pretty sure most Republicans think the money that comes for Medicare, Tricare, and VA comes out of thin air. The three programs cost tax payers about 600 billion per year. ACA is a good whipping boy for the Tea Party that depends on a government handout and wealth redistribution.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:

"I have no clue how this health care initiative will impact me until it actually impacts me."

All I know is my father recently had a stroke and the hospital bills exceeded $150 K. Thankfully, because he has Medicare as well as supplemental insurance he pays for, we were only responsible for paying $2 K. One of the drugs he has to take costs $350 a month and isn't covered by most providers. Thankfully, we can afford to pay that.

I don't mind losing a little so others can gain a little. The reason being that for every lowlife out there who abuses the system, there are many many more decent, honest, hardworking folks who could use a helping hand. Why punish those in need because of what a few do for greed?

Obama or not, I'm all for making the system better even if the ride is bumpy along the way. We have to start somewhere, no? Doesn't Obamacare at least put SOMETHING on the table for us to start the discussion on? I'm tired of inaction.

^^^^^^^^^This is how I feel. I'm prepared to give it a chance but if it turns out that ALL this is to be balanced on the backs of the middle-class taxpayers ~ then I am not going to be happy.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:

Many of those saying how it will impact them already know how how it will affect them.

Obamacare

Woman Battling Kidney Cancer Losing Company Health Plan Due To Obamacare « CBS DC

Quote:
I know for a fact that my costs are not going to go down like the president promised until many of the reasons why a hospital bill runs $150k for something like this. Being that the cost side wasn't addressed, costs can not come down.

Quote:

I understand that position but to do that you have to start with one basic nonnegotiable base. Do NOT lie to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies