Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people nicer today or were they nicer 50 years ago?
People are nicer today 11 9.91%
People were nicer 50 years ago 100 90.09%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times

Advertisements

Liberals are the reason Americans are so much more meaner and fearful than ever before. They have ignited the wrath of many citizens by increasingly taking away our freedom and rights. So many Americans have become bitter and resentful. Don't be surprised when it gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Are people becoming nicer or meaner over time?
Nicer. I wake up happy everyday.

[mostly]

Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Liberals are the reason Americans are so much more meaner and fearful than ever before. They have ignited the wrath of many citizens by increasingly taking away our freedom and rights. So many Americans have become bitter and resentful. Don't be surprised when it gets worse.
Name me 3 rights and freedoms liberals have personally taken away from you or I call full press Bull Puppy on this post.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:08 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
I think people are meaner today and more paranoid than in earlier times.
yeah more people are accepted today than they were 50+ years ago but the problem I see if that people are more narcissistic as well. People are have become millitant if you do not believe a certain way and will do everything to run you out of town practically for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
In America in the 1960s more people were racist and homophobic (at least openly), everyone smoked everywhere and things like bullying and child/spouse abuse were either swept under the rug or tolerated as part of life. People generally trusted the government, corporations, and unions and lived in small, tight-knit communities. Road rage was not something people even had a term for.

Fast forward to the 2010s and smoking is illegal almost everywhere (yet the public oddly is much more pro-weed), allegations of racism will ruin your career, gays are increasingly accepted, and most people are of the mind that if someone is a bully or abuser they basically deserve to die or be thrown in a dungeon. The question is does this mean we are more compassionate and empathetic or simply less forgiving? Perhaps a bit of both? It seems like we have gone from one extreme (tolerating beaters, molesters, bullies, etc) to another (wanting to bring back medieval punishments for such individuals). People are also hypocrites and much more forgiving of those who are wealthy's mistakes, aside from a few sacred demons like OJ Simpson who everybody loves to hate. Miles Davis beat women yet he's seen as a musical god, if he was just some average person though people would want him in prison or put to death.

One thing I find interesting is that even though the support for war has declined and the faith in pretty much every major pillar (government, religion, national identity, business) has fallen people still have an almost fascist admiration for the military. You see it in football games, on radio stations during Christmas, pretty much everywhere. The idea that the troops are protecting our freedom has been repeated so many times people absolutely believe it is true. And the idea that guns protect our freedom and that killing bad guys is the greatest thing a person can do is vindicated by our Hollywood movies.

When was the last time you ever watched a movie with a pacifist or anti-war message? Even in Avatar the message was ultimately pro war as the Navi are celebrated as heroes for fighting back the humans and the protagonist is a Marine, albeit one who changed sides.

One thing that really bothers me is road rage. I don't drive myself, but when I am in the car with my brother I am sometimes frightened by how angry other drivers make him. I feel like telling him he's an idiot for flipping people off. It's probably not a good idea to risk starting something with someone who is mean enough to cut you off on purpose. It doesn't surprise me at all that people have been murdered over road rage. Did this happen in the 1960s, or are people so frazzled and isolated from others that it's a fairly new phenomenon?

Anyways sorry for rambling on, but what do you think? Are people nicer or meaner than they were 50 years ago? Are we more patient, forgiving, compassionate, and just? Or less so?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Name me 3 rights and freedoms liberals have personally taken away from you or I call full press Bull Puppy on this post.
Only three?

The freedom for my kids to sell lemonade on my front lawn without a permit.

The freedom to smoke a flavored cigarette.

The right to travel down a highway (while breaking no laws) without getting stopped and interrogated by LE.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
people are meaner because the convert everything to "political".... can't relate as JUST a human being anymore? have to hide behind a party?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
people are meaner because the convert everything to "political".... can't relate as JUST a human being anymore? have to hide behind a party?
Yes, the political hatred is fairly new. It started in the 1990s.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Politicians are certainly getting meaner, making it tougher on those who already have it tough. But outside the Capitols many are nicer. You have to define what people you're talking about.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
There are 3 things that you can count on:

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Old folks complaining that the world is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:22 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
In 59 years time I'm sure people will be posting here reminiscing about how great it was back in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies