Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Sure, that's an effective way to deal with it in a country that doesn't value freedom and liberty.
Freedom and liberty doesn't mean confiscating all my income to pay for all the freebies of those who aren't working for what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Cuba and Putin. Who would have thunk it?
Maybe it's better if you're going to do the gigantic big powerful government thing you liberals claim you want is to stop doing it half-assed.

You want the government so powerful that it can spend any amount of money, tax us all the way to hell, but you don't want it doing anything that might actually work.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe it's better if you're going to do the gigantic big powerful government thing you liberals claim you want is to stop doing it half-assed.

You want the government so powerful that it can spend any amount of money, tax us all the way to hell, but you don't want it doing anything that might actually work.
Needle exchange clinics actually do work.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Freedom and liberty doesn't mean confiscating all my income to pay for all the freebies of those who aren't working for what they want.
No, it doesn't. You should be thankful then that we live in the least taxed 1st World nation on Earth, and that our citizens currently are paying the lowest tax burden they have since the 1950s.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Well --- Cuba really does have a whole lot less of an HIV problem. It's also got the government health care system that liberals really adore. Seems all the big government proponents would like the way Cuba handled it.

HIV/AIDS in Cuba: a model for care or an ethical dilemma?

As soon as AIDS reached Cuba, the Cuban government, through the Ministry of Public Health, designed and implemented national program aimed at controlling the spread of disease. Cuba's strategy differed enormously from other nations and was legally founded in already existing regulations to protect citizens' health. Regulations included: Decree-Law 54 of April 1982 stating that, for the exercise of prevention and control actions for communicable diseases, one or more of the following measures will be adopted, depending on the case: isolation of individuals suspected of suffering from a communicable disease, and of possible carriers of the causal germ, if necessary, as well as the suspension or limitation of these individuals' activities when their realization poses a risk for the health of others.”
Yup. You know what would ensure that we have absolutely no AIDS cases here in the US? Upon testing positive for HIV, we simply euthanize the infected person. Problem solved. Zero people with AIDS or HIV living in the US.

Sounds great. Let's get to it. The new US of A as envisioned by... uhum, Conservatives? Gosh, I hope not.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Nope, it does not. What it does mean is that a sensible amount of fiscal resources is spent on maintaining our national safety and security, both in physical and economic terms.

If you don't like that, then please argue for the shutting down of the CDC, too. If people simply washed their hands more often, didn't travel, and minimized their interactions with others, there would be no need for us to spend millions and millions on researchers tracking the flu, meningitis, or other diseases in order to minimize the impact on our nation.

Gosh, I just wish people started acting responsibly. Just imagine all the money we could save.

You know, if our laws, principles, and values weren't based so much on Christian ideals, none of that would really matter. We'd just let people die and be done with it. Not my problem, so to speak. No need to extend a helping hand, either. And compassion? Pah - that's for bleeding-heart liberal atheist vegan tree huggers.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Nope, it does not. What it does mean is that a sensible amount of fiscal resources is spent on maintaining our national safety and security, both in physical and economic terms.

I bolded the problem in red. Nothing we as a country do is sensible. The fact is too many want my tax dollars to pay for food stamps, section 8, others healthcare, obamaphones, wars, WIC, energy assistance, corporate bailouts, infrastructure fixing, common core schooling, higher education, the war on drugs and on and on ad nauseam.

The fact is I'm tapped out. The middle class is tapped out. We're broke trying to do the right thing, and lambasted continually by the left because of it. Nothing we're doing is working. Absolutely nothing. We're throwing money after problem after problem with no measurable results. And now... we're going to pay for drug needles and condoms?

Personally... I wish we'd pick something... anything... and fix it correctly... then I'd buy into the "sensible" argument. Until then.... we're doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Because the infection is easily preventable through good personal choices. This isn't like the plague in which the virus is spread through the air or from casual contact. The two most common causes of infection listed involves sex without condoms and IV drug use like heroin which is illegal in most nations. Don't use illegal drugs like heroin and always use a condom when having sex and your chances of getting infected are nearly zero. No need for the government to provide free (pause for by taxes) condoms and free needles (taxes) to illegal drug users.
Consider that public awareness has declined considerably over the past twenty years. Young men today were not around during the holocaust of the 80's and early 90's. There is little discussion about infection today, and today most of the new infections are with young men of color in the city. Compare with breast cancer awareness; much of the templet used for breast cancer awareness campaigns was taken from the early AIDS activists back in the 80's. Today, breast cancer awareness is so publicly known, there should be no reason any case of breast cancer to go undetected before it is too late. Today there is more money going into breast cancer research and awareness, than all other cancers combined, and AIDS combined. There is so little money going into AIDS awareness today, sadly because people don't want to talk about a disease that has acquired such an undeserved negative stigma.

Now contrast AIDS awareness, and the idea of being so easily preventable, with casual sex with heterosexual people. Currently, the majority of babies born are unplanned. Think about it; babies brought into the world unplanned, often to parents, or more typically, to single mothers without the resources to raise them properly. Isn't this also a crisis? Also very comparable to HIV, since it involves having sex without thinking of the consequences? Why no campaign to pressure more awareness to the very real problem of unplanned pregnancies? Especially, since it as well, is life changing, and can cause so many women to spiral downward into sustained poverty. Also, it involves bringing an innocent human life into the world, more often than not, to struggle, growing up in poverty as well. Birth control medication is easily accessible, and unlike condoms, doesn't interfere with sexual pleasure. So, why should we suspect gay men to be so much more responsible than straight people when it comes to casual sex? Unplanned pregnancies cost the tax payers far more than HIV.

Globally there is still far more heterosexual cases than homosexual cases, yet unlike most diseases, HIV has a very stubborn stigma, along with the insistence by many straight people to castigate the gay community as the culprits, rather than the victims of this disease, particularly since it originally came from from straight people in the first place.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I bolded the problem in red. Nothing we as a country do is sensible. The fact is too many want my tax dollars to pay for food stamps, section 8, others healthcare, obamaphones, wars, WIC, energy assistance, corporate bailouts, infrastructure fixing, common core schooling, higher education, the war on drugs and on and on ad nauseam.

The fact is I'm tapped out. The middle class is tapped out. We're broke trying to do the right thing, and lambasted continually by the left because of it. Nothing we're doing is working. Absolutely nothing. We're throwing money after problem after problem with no measurable results. And now... we're going to pay for drug needles and condoms?

Personally... I wish we'd pick something... anything... and fix it correctly... then I'd buy into the "sensible" argument. Until then.... we're doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Curtailing immigration from the Third World would be a huge help. Immigration reform, i.e. relaxing current immigration laws to appease the illegals will make the quality of life considerably worse. There is no way we can take care of everybody that wants to come here and be taken care of. This country does not, by any means, create enough jobs that pay a decent wage as it is.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

Ah yes, quarantine them and let them die. Another compassionate conservative weights in.
Not only that, he looks up to a communist run country, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies