Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:12 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So Big Lots is a pretty flexible company, huh? Didn't know that.

Maybe I should start frequenting out store more often.
Idk if this store was/is representative of the majority of them. You'd have to do some research to know who to support for these reasons. They could've been like the Pizza Hut in the OP (just reversed), where their actions contrast what's typical in that chain.

But that particular store knew how to do it. Would've gladly stayed working there if not for the figurative salary cap one can always expect in retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea.....we were talking about Sundays.

No, I'm obviously not going to change you from repeating disproven claims. There is nothing I can do about that.
Yeah, but the thread is about Thanksgiving, not Sundays.

And my claims come from living in the EU for 13 years and visiting every country in western Europe (and most in eastern Europe).

I don't know where your claims come from. Wikipedia I guess.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:29 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,483 times
We aint Europe. Maybe Americans want the choice to work for time & half or double time on holidays and sundays.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,724 times
Goodness whats the big deal working thanksgiving , a lot of people are willing to work that day, and what about workers that have a choice ..nurses, all care workers , firefighters, police , a lot of family's are too far away from each other to be together ...ours was so we both worked holidays..our choice , not complaining , also ate a better free meals at work than eating home , but now we both retired and live near family . Also I know many people that hate the holidays too and were envious at me being able to go to work on those days...

Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Goodness whats the big deal working thanksgiving , a lot of people are willing to work that day, and what about workers that have a choice ..nurses, all care workers , firefighters, police , a lot of family's are too far away from each other to be together ...ours was so we both worked holidays..our choice , not complaining , also ate a better free meals at work than eating home , but now we both retired and live near family . Also I know many people that hate the holidays too and were envious at me being able to go to work on those days...
What's to be said, a lot of people have different values than you. They'd prefer to be with family on Thanksgiving whenever practical. What's the big deal about not working on Thanksgiving? How many companies have gone under because they shut down for one or two days out of the year?

Old 11-30-2013, 12:52 PM

545 posts, read 400,271 times
I like how the way everyone seem to think businesses should be held to a certain moral standard by not forcing anyone to work on holidays and spend time with the family and all this other crap. But no one seem to want to mention the hyper-consumerism that drives many of these businesses to stay open on these holidays.

Again, watching people harp on about pizza being non essential and who wants pizza on Thanksgiving anyway?. The same can be said about movies, who the hell wants to catch a flick during this so called family time?. And yet Thanksgiving and many other holidays, especially Christmas sees the most traffic for these places.

Again, when I worked holidays, I actually had customers say "you poor thing, sorry you had to work today", yeah because you and a millions others wanted to come here during this so called "family time". And yet they being there somehow never dawns on them that is the reason I am there.

I am willing to bet half these posters in here who are squealing on about "family time" and "businesses should be closed on holidays" and "greed" probably did all kinds of shopping in malls, spent all kinds of money at restaurants and maybe even watched a movie or two on said holidays perpetuating these businesses staying open during these so called "family time". Then harp on about how cruel and greedy these businesses are for being opened on these holidays. But who needs integrity and consistency when you can get on your pedestal made out of cognitive dissonance and faux outrage?

You think businesses should be closed on holidays or whatever?. Simple, stay at home and they will too. Otherwise, you are just talking out of your ass and need to come off it.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:05 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Now he is being his job back. They shouldn't have forced him to write a letter of resignation to begin with. What do you think?

Well, as a franchisee I would have established rules for working the holiday and canned his ass if he didn't work them. Easily replaced.

Though the franchisee probably did this, and learned what a backlash can do. Forced to give this guy a job back. I would still look to fire him the first chance I got.

Look these guys are EASILY replaceable. Why put up with some guy who won't work the days his required to work?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
I like how the way everyone seem to think businesses should be held to a certain moral standard by not forcing anyone to work on holidays and spend time with the family and all this other crap. But no one seem to want to mention the hyper-consumerism that drives many of these businesses to stay open on these holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
...I can't imagine someone being all that upset that they can't go out for pizza or order it for delivery on Thanksgiving. Someone that insensitive and selfish probably doesn't deserve a pizza anyway
I agree with your point. It's hypocritical to insist that businesses shut down for Thanksgiving when you personally go out and give a comparably needless company your business on the same day. I've been out on Thanksgiving before looking for a restaurant that was open. At the time, I didn't think about the issue at all. I was young and self-involved. I didn't have to work, so who cares? But one thing I didn't do is get mad that some of my favorite restaurants were closed. Even then, I understood why and couldn't muster any outrage over it. And if I had found one year that absolutely no restaurant was open, I'd just go home, more amazed than upset about the whole thing (because it's not something you would ever expect to happen).

Old 11-30-2013, 02:22 PM

545 posts, read 400,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I agree with your point. It's hypocritical to insist that businesses shut down for Thanksgiving when you personally go out and give a comparably needless company your business on the same day. I've been out on Thanksgiving before looking for a restaurant that was open. At the time, I didn't think about the issue at all. I was young and self-involved. I didn't have to work, so who cares? But one thing I didn't do is get mad that some of my favorite restaurants were closed. Even then, I understood why and couldn't muster any outrage over it. And if I had found one year that absolutely no restaurant was open, I'd just go home, more amazed than upset about the whole thing (because it's not something you would ever expect to happen).
Well.

Thanks for the level headed and honest response. Rare on these forums or any forums.

Have a nice a day.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:22 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
That is the crappy thing about working retail/hospitality, you work holidays. I worked holidays for years & now I don't have to thankfully. However, I will say thank god bars are open on Thanksgiving because everyone needs a drink after dealing with family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies