Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonetoo View Post
This isn't the 1960's or 1970's, employee and employer relationships have been broken for many a year. Back in the good old days, people worked 40+ hours a week and expected something in return, paid holidays, paid vacations, paid sick days, there's very little of any of that nowadays. I don't believe fast food workers think they're going to get paid this or that, those entitlements of receiving compensation hasn't been around for years.
The past wasn't as you seem to conceive it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 03:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonetoo View Post
From my personal life and experience, it is. My parents worked factory jobs, my father was a union man, and received compensations for holidays, paid leave, and paid sick days when needed. But I do know that not everyone had things as nice.
Where I work opened in 1948. At least a portion of it has been open every single Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas since then.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There should be enough DECENCY in this country that no one should need to even imply that being off on Thanksgiving is a "right."

But of course, Americans have seemingly pushed away anything related to decency in exchange for chasing the almighty greenback.

And it's irrelevant to say that taking away someone's chance to be with their family on Thanksgiving when you work at an establishment that probably isn't gonna make enough money to even cover the cost of being open?

We live once...there are no do-overs. Family time is scarce as it is. This country needs to shut down one frickin' day a year. And we can easily afford to do so.
A week has 168 hours in it.
A full work week is 40 hours. Even if you subtract 8 hours for sleep that leaves
72 hours...almost half your week can be 'family time', you poor slave, you.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
(to desertdetroiter) A week has 168 hours in it.
A full work week is 40 hours. Even if you subtract 8 hours for sleep that leaves
72 hours...almost half your week can be 'family time', you poor slave, you.
Yikes. We don't even get to actually live half our lives? And that's not to mention time spent on the commute to and from work, lunch hours you have to clock out for and may not be able to rush home and spend (a fraction of) with family, and other obligations besides work.

I'm sure your aim was something quite different, but I'm more on desertdetroiter's side now than I was before!

Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,014 times
If true I won't ever eat their pizza again.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Yikes. We don't even get to actually live half our lives? And that's not to mention time spent on the commute to and from work, lunch hours you have to clock out for and may not be able to rush home and spend (a fraction of) with family, and other obligations besides work.

I'm sure your aim was something quite different, but I'm more on desertdetroiter's side now than I was before!
Well of course you do.
Just keep depending on the government to do everything for you and you can stay home and sit on your ass all week.
The fact that you refer to work as an obligation says a lot. Sure sounds like you don't think you should have to work to provide for yourself and family.
(Lunch hour was included in an 8 hour day BTW...no need to allow for it otherwise.
Other obligations? What does that have to do with work?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Well of course you do.
Just keep depending on the government to do everything for you and you can stay home and sit on your ass all week.
"keep"? I work over 40 hours a week, thank you very much.

Quote:
The fact that you refer to work as an obligation says a lot. Sure sounds like you don't think you should have to work to provide for yourself and family.
Actually it doesn't. Calling something that is an obligation an obligation only implies that you know the meaning of the word I think I would like it if work wasn't necessary to keep this country going, but since it is, I go out there and do it. Not truly wanting to work does not make you lazy (resistant to work, idle, slow to move). Not doing the work because you don't want to? Yes.

Quote:
(Lunch hour was included in an 8 hour day BTW...no need to allow for it otherwise.
You said "A full work week is 40 hours". I don't consider grabbing some fast food or going home to spend maybe a half hour with your wife "work", so I assumed you were talking about those who actually spend 40 hours on the clock, working. Many people have four hours of work, an hour off for lunch, and another four hours on the clock each day. Some of those people live far enough away from work that they only get a fraction of that hour (if that) to spend with family. And that's what you were commenting on, "family time".

Quote:
Other obligations? What does that have to do with work?
Desertdetroiter made the comment "family time is scarce as it is", you made it a point to put that in bold for your reply, which gave a number that wasn't entirely correct. "Family time" is scarce and I think even your misleading calculations put that into perspective to support his argument. While it's all subjective, getting quite a bit less than half of your life to actually live your life is understandably upsetting for many people.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
The business owner in this case has ever right to open or close as he/she chooses. However, given that they have offered him his job back once this went public.....that's a very telling side of the story. One would guess they know being open on Thanksgiving isn't a very family friendly policy.....so they choose money over family time, unless it goes public, than they choose being familiy friendly over money.

Character is what you do when nobody will know either way. Once this went public the owner chickened out and decided to pick family time over money. What does that tell you about his character since it had to go public before he changed his mind ? If he'd stuck to his original decision one could argue he might have misplaced values, but now he's aparantly shown he doesn't have any strength of his convictions or much character either.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Pizza Hut manager offered job back after Thanksgiving disagreement - CNN.com

Now he is being his job back. They shouldn't have forced him to write a letter of resignation to begin with. What do you think?

he should have been fired
I work every holiday and don't **** and moan about it
businesses are there to make money not hand hold employees Pizza Hut is stupid for offering his job back

Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I used to drive airboats in the Everglades. That certainly is a "non essential" job on Thanksgiving, but we were still open. In fact, BECAUSE we were open, (on Christmas and New Year's, too!), we made a lot of money in tips. I had zero problems working on turkey day because I knew that those tips would be rolling in. I can have my turkey dinner later, or on my day off if I simply MUST have turkey dinner.

What would have ticked me off is if some idiot got their way and forced everyone "non essential" to close on a holiday. You would be robbing me of my money that I would be earning, HAPPILY, on that day. How about you let the businesses decide when they want to stay open, and when they want to close. Those who think that businesses that close are "heros", are oblivious to what others want. Not everyone gives a crap about Thanksgiving. Some people don't even celebrate it at all. Why should everyone have to do what YOU want, instead of allowing a business to decide what they want to do?

And for the record, my boss, the owner, a millionaire, was there almost every single day, holiday or not. I would say out of 365 days, he was there 362 days each year. And he did just as much work as anyone else....so there goes that other theory of how the owners are living it up at home while the peons work. Just because it was that way in the one call center you worked in, doesn't mean it's that way in all small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies