Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:25 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I don't know anyone like that.
I know several people like that. They are usually social conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, a few of you guys seem to not understand how government functions and have never heard the term debating.
So I guess if a congressman introduces a bill to outlaw gay sex or outlaw riding a bicycle or add a tax on running shoes, that's OK with you because he's just "debating" activities that he thinks people should not engage in?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Maybe he's in the pocket of Big Tobacco and is trying to get ahead of e-cigarettes and pot.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Jacking the prices through taxation has reduced cigarette use, but something is needed to get the hard core abusers and a jail term and fines may be the answer. Cigarettes smokers cost all of us billions in higher health care costs so we all have a stake in stopping them.
I love how you call yourself a "moderate." You're the closest thing to a fascist we have posting here on C-D.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If you think that creating a bill is the way to "start a conversation", then it is you who does not have a clue how the government works.
I give up, you guys think all the hyperbole you want because clearly you aren't going to pay attention to context. Bills are proposed all the time to create a debate about a topic and often times a different form of a bill makes it through than the original one that started the debate. If you guys don't understand that, then everything else is pointless to talk about.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So I guess if a congressman introduces a bill to outlaw gay sex or outlaw riding a bicycle or add a tax on running shoes, that's OK with you because he's just "debating" activities that he thinks people should not engage in?
Yes, that would be okay and has happened plenty of times before. That is what debating is. Just because a bill is created doesn't mean it will pass or that everyone will like it or agree with it.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Jacking the prices through taxation has reduced cigarette use, but something is needed to get the hard core abusers and a jail term and fines may be the answer. Cigarettes smokers cost all of us billions in higher health care costs so we all have a stake in stopping them.

if you are caught with a bag of Doritos that weighs more than 2 ounces you should be subject to imprisonment for a term of year. if caught giving Doritos contraband to minors!! one should be imprisoned for a term no less than 10 years.. if caught with 20 ounces of Doritos contraband or more, one shall serve a term of life in prison with no option for parole...

don't even think about getting me on the subject of Twinkies!!!!

Old 11-29-2013, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I give up, you guys think all the hyperbole you want because clearly you aren't going to pay attention to context. Bills are proposed all the time to create a debate about a topic and often times a different form of a bill makes it through than the original one that started the debate. If you guys don't understand that, then everything else is pointless to talk about.
Committees are formed to create that bill to begin with with both sides participating.
That's how it works.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
I'll go one further; if the DNA and Blood sample analysis Texans were being required to "donate" during a recent highway traffic stop show that you have a faulty gene linked to one of the debilitating and incurable diseases that require years of expensive treatment; let's just call you in and nip your boys or perform a tubal ligation on your sorry azz and also upon your progeny so you and they cannot reproduce and pass that gene along.

Purely a cost saving measure of course.

Hitler would be proud.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
if you are caught with a bag of Doritos that weighs more than 2 ounces you should be subject to imprisonment for a term of year. if caught giving Doritos contraband to minors!! one should be imprisoned for a term no less than 10 years.. if caught with 20 ounces of Doritos contraband or more, one shall serve a term of life in prison with no option for parole...

don't even think about getting me on the subject of Twinkies!!!!
or Moonpies; a scourge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies