Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

The school has every right to do that. Time to learn that the world doesn't revolve around you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
From the article:

Quote:
Vanessa VanDyke told the station that officials at Faith Christian Academy in Orlando are giving her one week to cut her overgrown hair, which she wears natural, with no styling. If she refuses to cut and shape her hair, the private school, which has rules regarding how students wear their hair, said she is not allowed to attend classes, she told the station.
One of the obfuscating issues I mentioned earlier is the inability for us to know exactly what requirement was actually communicated to the girl's parents. I would suggest that the school officials--unfamiliar with what could be done with natural hair--mis-expresed their actual goal.

They probably did use the term "cut" somewhere in the overall discussion--but they may also have used "tie back" as well...and that's not being reported because it would not make as good a news item. I'm not saying that's how the discussion went--I'm saying we don't know how the discussion actually went, but we can be sure that everyone is presenting it according to their own agendas.

Another obfuscating issue is that apparently the school had not objected to the girl's hair until it became a "problem" with other students. If the school did not have a sufficiently detailed grooming policy, but responded in an ad hoc manner when this particular situation became a "crisis," that would contribute to the impression of unfairness.

If the school already had a policy of something like "All girls with shoulder-length or longer hair will wear it pinned up or pulled back" this would not be an issue. Even if they issued such a policy at this point--without singling out this particular girl--it would be less of an issue.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
some times one must prune a beautiful tree to see the vistas ahead..

Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Private school with a dress code.

She has a choice here and her and her mother need to decide what is more important..her hair or education.

A 12 year old is going to pick the hair. Mom should know better though.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Florida school told a 12-year-old African-American girl that she either does something with her hair or should start looking for a new school, WKMG reported.

Vanessa VanDyke told the station that officials at Faith Christian Academy in Orlando are giving her one week to cut her overgrown hair, which she wears natural, with no styling.

Girl says Florida school threatening expulsion over her
I saw this story on another forum I frequent aimed at people of the African diaspora. I was scared to say what I really think there. I have natural hair, but that girl's hair looks like a rats' nest. she needs a spray bottle and some moisturizing hair products asap. a scrunchie, some braids, hair pins, something. I can see where her hair would cause problems in high school.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Private school with a dress code.

She has a choice here and her and her mother need to decide what is more important..her hair or education.

A 12 year old is going to pick the hair. Mom should know better though.
there is no choice to be made.

she can keep her hair and is staying at the school.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
Not only would it block your vision but it is also a fire hazard. One spark near her hair and the whole building would be ablaze with her running down the hallways like a human torch setting everything on fire as she went.
white people's hair doesn't burn?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
there is no choice to be made.

she can keep her hair and is staying at the school.
Private school with dress code.
The law is on their side this time.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I saw this story on another forum I frequent aimed at people of the African diaspora. I was scared to say what I really think there. I have natural hair, but that girl's hair looks like a rats' nest. she needs a spray bottle and some moisturizing hair products asap. a scrunchie, some braids, hair pins, something. I can see where her hair would cause problems in high school.
I said that in another forum and did get my head handed to me.

But when I wore a 'Fro nearly that large back in the 60s, I spent a lot of time in upkeep...and we didn't have all the "product" available today.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
All she has to do it put it in a pony tail or braid when in school, why is she making such a big deal out of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies