Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
All great empires are settled by the people they once conquered... Look at Europe, they have a muslim birth rate of 9 to 1 for every ethnic European. Many European countries will be Muslim majority in the next 40-50 years.

America? We are going to be hispanic majority by 2030 to 2040, which is fine. However, before that point our currency will most likely collapse as China rises to prominence.
2 things here: 1 the "Hispanic' birthrate is falling and falling fast and 2, China's pop is starting to fall so by 2030 both won't mean much IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
What do the experts think? Could a foreign army ever invade the US with 300,000,000 guns held by our population?
The age of invasions are over, nobody even wants to invade the US. Why would they? Big countries like Russia, China, Brazil, etc. already have more land than they need, resources are elsewhere on the globe. Even the Arctic is an endlessly more interesting target...
And small countries don't try to invade big ones, anyway. After all, once you have invaded a country, you have to secure it, which is impossible these days, not just in the US.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Seriously, if a foreign government/military believes it can defeat the US military and invade this nation, that foreign nation that believes it could defeat the US military would not be afraid to invade based on some fear of out of shape middle aged men with guns. lol
Please think rationally.
I think you're missing something here. Every great empire believed itself impervious. Here in the USA we're feeling much the same way that Rome or Babylon or Egypt or Macedonia felt. We believe ourselves to be untouchable. Trouble is, that sort of presumed invulnerability is inevitably proven false. It's really just a matter of time. When, where and how? Who knows? Probably in a completely unexpected way, at an unexpected time and place. Not anytime soon, I expect. But it's kind of inevitable that nations like China and India -- nations with four times our population -- will eventually surpass us and take our place as the greatest nation on earth. India and China have done a fine job of sabotaging themselves thus far, but when you have quadruple the manpower the math eventually just can't be stopped.

But as long as we don't eliminate it, the deterrent of well armed, well prepared American citizens remains. That might just mean the difference between being invaded and just being left alone. At that point, we'd become the UK 2.0 -- not the greatest nation on earth by any means, but a nation that nobody bothers to invade because it's too much trouble.

I am very very curious why you are absolutely obsessed with out of shape, middle aged men. That's just really weird. Do you have some study that proves that all gun owners fit that precise description or is it just a personal obsession?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
All great empires are settled by the people they once conquered... Look at Europe, they have a muslim birth rate of 9 to 1 for every ethnic European. Many European countries will be Muslim majority in the next 40-50 years.

America? We are going to be hispanic majority by 2030 to 2040, which is fine. However, before that point our currency will most likely collapse as China rises to prominence.
I think that is mostly a myth. Muslims in Europe don't have many more kids than Europeans, they simply can't afford them, after all, Muslims in Europe are not Muslims from rich countries like Saudi Arabia.
Some newcomers still have a different mentality, but with every new generation people adopt to Europeans more and more, i.e. they have to find jobs and make ends meet, i.e. little time and money for lots of kids.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
But it's kind of inevitable that nations like China and India -- nations with four times our population -- will eventually surpass us and take our place as the greatest nation on earth. India and China have done a fine job of sabotaging themselves thus far, but when you have quadruple the manpower the math eventually just can't be stopped.
I don't see why. It presumes that population is the metric of global competitiveness. What China and India still lack, that we have, is a culture of independence, personal liberty, and risk taking. First they need to culturally achieve those things. China does not believe in worker safety, and India is still raping women in the streets with impunity. When we are culturally more equal, then size may start to matter.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
The fact that we have so many guns won't hurt us in the defense of our land. However, an army invading half of a continent (probably all of it as I'm sure Canada wouldn't go unscathed and remain neutral) is highly unlikely. What army has every existed that can conquer that big a chunk of a well-armed and hostile continent? Never. A military invasion will not happen in the US.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM

229 posts, read 232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We left Vietnam because of a bunch of armed citizens from both North and South Vietnam kept attacking us. We got sick of it, so we left. We left Iraq largely for the same reason, though we really didn't want to be there in the first place. We will soon leave Afghanistan for exactly the same reason.

Guerilla warfare works very very well. Americans are better armed than any nation on earth. They are better educated on how to make bombs, explosives, mines and their own homemade weapons than any other nation on earth. And there are now 317 million of those very well armed Americans. Not all of them are middle aged or out of shape, but it hardly matters. A group of out of shape middle aged men or women with some guns, explosives and the right know-how can wreak a lot more havoc than you would believe possible. In addition, Americans are highly adaptable and stubborn by nature. Those who do not know how would learn and master guerilla warfare much sooner than you'd think possible.

Yes the US military is a massive deterrent. There are no credible threats to the USA in this hemisphere, so any would-be invasion force must cross either the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean and invade amphibiously. Our military would chew their invasion force to pieces ... that is if they even managed to get past our Navy intact. Add to that everything I've said above. Even if you could invade and occupy, you'd be occupying a giant meat-grinder the likes of which the world has never seen before. Taken together, you might just have the least appealing prospective conquest in human history.
Very well said. Also Americans will fight to their death not to loose their freedom. this is a very big country...you'll be surprised how prepared most American people are and what they have (except for the liberals) thanks to are 2nd Amendment.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
I don't see why. It presumes that population is the metric of global competitiveness. What China and India still lack, that we have, is a culture of independence, personal liberty, and risk taking. First they need to culturally achieve those things. China does not believe in worker safety, and India is still raping women in the streets with impunity. When we are culturally more equal, then size may start to matter.
Look, I'm all for China and India sabotaging themselves for as long as possible. The longer that the preeminence of China and India can be delayed, the better for the USA. But sooner or later, I think they'll figure it all out. The cold hard fact is that if either of them can harness the power of their massive work forces -- even if each worker is only 1/2 as productive as American workers -- they can both outproduce us by more than double.

The best news we have on the matter is that China and India have each other to worry about. India's opposition to the conquest of Tibet, China's little land grab in the 1962 Sino-Indian War and China's assistance given to Pakistan in developing nukes have effectively set the tone of mutual distrust and hostility. Their shared border is about the ugliest prospective warzone imaginable, running right through the Himalayas. But if either nation could conquer or forge an empire spanning both China, India and eventually all of Southeast Asia, the USA wouldn't stand a chance of keeping up. We would be a very distant second to such an empire.

If I'm wrong and none of that ever happens, fine and well. Doesn't hurt to be cautious and prepare as best we can for the worst case scenario.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
China and India will never have a culture of egoism, um, independence I mean. Their cultures are very different and always will be. There is nothing to achieve in that sense as it is not even the goal.

Believe in worker safety? Accidents happen everywhere. Nor is it a god, Americans don't believe in worker safety, either, they are simply afraid someone will sue the heck out of them if an accident happens, mere egoism.
Those rape cases in India were all over the media because all things surrounding sexuality are usually not talked about in that society. We have lots of rapes in the West as well, but we have come to take them for granted, thus they don't even make it into the news anymore, especially not on a national, let alone global level. Impunity? If I remember correctly the rapists got life or even death sentences...

Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM

229 posts, read 232,387 times
Quote:
India and China keep their people oppressed,it doesn't matter how many people they have if they are treated like subhumans. Obama is trying to turn this country into a 3rd world country,so he has total control over the Government and people.he wants to be King not President "dreams of my Father" which will never happen! because we have our rights as Americans, thanks to our Fathers and Grand fathers who fought and gave their lives for this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies