Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 AM

833 posts, read 1,198,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think that it should be up to the STATES to determine what the minimum wage, if any, should be in that particular state. the problem with a federal minimum wage law is that it is one size fits all, and that doesnt work.
Not only states, but counties.

I live in the bay area where the COL is insane. Our minimum wage is the same as say stockton, where you can get a 1bdr apartment for $650. Where as, in the bay area you're looking at $1200 which is BS.

Don't want minimum wage? Get a dang education. Minimum wage should be for high school/college students, not for a parent of 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Not only states, but counties.

I live in the bay area where the COL is insane. Our minimum wage is the same as say stockton, where you can get a 1bdr apartment for $650. Where as, in the bay area you're looking at $1200 which is BS.

Don't want minimum wage? Get a dang education. Minimum wage should be for high school/college students, not for a parent of 2.
what the counties do over and above what the state sets as the base is up to each county, or even each city. however they do so at their peril as it is easier for businesses to move out of the county than the state, especially in california.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:34 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Gotta be higher than that. A single worker's wages should be high enough to support 2 people at least. Then a couple can support 2 children, or a single worker can support someone unable to work. And the wage has to be higher than just the basics for everyone. Otherwise, we fail.
So how do you propose to magically make eveyones labor worth what it takes to support 2 people?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,543,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most studies do not take into account pay increases across the board, it's not just the minimum wage that increases. If you're making $10 becsue the value of your work is more than minimum and the minimum is increased to $10 are you going to accept minimum? Of course not and you shouldn't, that ripples through the entire workforce. Everyone's pay scale increases and that drives cost up across the board.

If you are making minimum and want to increase your purchasing power you can't simply increase the minimum wage, you need to increase the value of your work.
And are you taking into account the extra money that now is going into the economy that can be spent and put it on the rise? At first the extra cost of payroll seems harmful to a company, but if its happening with virtually every business then you're seeing that money come back to you as people can now afford to buy more. Remember, it takes money to make money.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Here's a question for those who don't support high wages. What do you think the lowest legal wage should be? $0?
There should be no minimum wage. An employer should be able to offer any wage to do a job, and those who are willing to do that job for that wage should be able to do so. If not enough qualified people come forward to take the job, then the employer will have to increase the offer. Where's the problem in that?

By the way, I don't know anyone who doesn't support high wages. I think there should be no cap on wages, just as there should be no floor.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Here's a question for those who don't support high wages. What do you think the lowest legal wage should be? $0?
First of all, you assume that not supporting a raise of the minimum wage equates to not supporting high wages. This is a fallacious assumption. I support whatever wage an individual is worth, according to the job that they are doing and the value that they bring to the employer. If that value is $5 an hour and the employee agrees to do the work for $5 an hour, so be it. If that value is $500 an hour, I'm fine with that as well. Quite frankly, I don't care what anyone is being paid per hour other than myself and my wife.

As for the minimum wage, I don't support one. It's an arbitrary number which does absolutely nothing to improve the situation of those who are making it. The only purpose for the minimum wage is to make people feel good about "helping the poor". If you really want to help the poor, stop trying to lift them out of poverty and start encouraging them to lift themselves out instead.

Fun fact, in the 1980's if you were making minimum wage you were comparatively poor. In 2013 if you are making minimum wage you are comparatively poor. The minimum wage has gone up since the 1980's, but the situation of those making minimum wage has stayed relatively the same. Why is that? Because it's minimum wage - it isn't meant to make you rich or even necessarily support you. It's meant to give you a bit of incentive while you are learning valuable job skills that will allow you to obtain a better paying job.

Simply put, if you are treating a minimum wage job as a lifetime career then you are the problem in this country, so stop blaming the people who pay minimum wage and go do something with your life.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,543,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
First of all, you assume that not supporting a raise of the minimum wage equates to not supporting high wages. This is a fallacious assumption. I support whatever wage an individual is worth, according to the job that they are doing and the value that they bring to the employer. If that value is $5 an hour and the employee agrees to do the work for $5 an hour, so be it. If that value is $500 an hour, I'm fine with that as well. Quite frankly, I don't care what anyone is being paid per hour other than myself and my wife.

As for the minimum wage, I don't support one. It's an arbitrary number which does absolutely nothing to improve the situation of those who are making it. The only purpose for the minimum wage is to make people feel good about "helping the poor". If you really want to help the poor, stop trying to lift them out of poverty and start encouraging them to lift themselves out instead.

Fun fact, in the 1980's if you were making minimum wage you were comparatively poor. In 2013 if you are making minimum wage you are comparatively poor. The minimum wage has gone up since the 1980's, but the situation of those making minimum wage has stayed relatively the same. Why is that? Because it's minimum wage - it isn't meant to make you rich or even necessarily support you. It's meant to give you a bit of incentive while you are learning valuable job skills that will allow you to obtain a better paying job.

Simply put, if you are treating a minimum wage job as a lifetime career then you are the problem in this country, so stop blaming the people who pay minimum wage and go do something with your life.
So I'm confused...you basically said minimum wage has a purpose while calling it useless at the same time. Fascinating. Meanwhile employers will not pay people what they are worth, it will only get worse. Now people with cashiering jobs will be paid 2$ an hour and have no choice put to take it or take nothing. The ball is not going from one side to the other, its always in the employers court. And how do you expect someone to ever rise out of poverty if they're making that low of an income? And you think the price of goods will go down either? HA! Ask Chinese workers how affordable goods are in comparison to their wages? And it won't be just minimum wage jobs affected. If you make 25$ an hour now, an employer may say you are worth 14$ now, since the lowest earners are bringing in less. Suddenly the gap between rich and poor explodes even beyond the explosion that has been happening, no one can afford to keep the economy going, the economy completely collapses, and then the nation goes into widespread chaos or even anarchy.

But I guess we can just ignore that countries with a higher minimum wage or better minimum wage laws have a more thriving economy. Better yet, let's bring back slavery and indentured servitude! The rich in this country are already close to having their workers like that, so why not seal the deal and make these lowly working dogs for what they're worth? Please note, I'm being sarcastic. I don't want to take the chance you'll view what I just said as a viable idea.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Let's see how long you agree to that when you all of a sudden have your pay cut back to about a quarter of what it is. Or maybe you own your own business and think you're secure? Wonder how people will pay for your product when they can't even afford a cartoon of eggs and a gallon of milk off a full days work.
None of that would happen if there were no minimum wage. I pay almost double the minimum wage for yard work. Why? Because the MARKET demands it.

I've been unemployed. I've worked menial minimum wage jobs. I survived by making myself more valuable so that my employer gladly paid me much more than minimum wages.

I still say government should not tell anyone what to pay employees. There should be no minimum or maximum wage. There should be no government price controls.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The employers who don't pay their workers enough will go under eventually or will change. That's the way of the free market.
Exactly!

People talk about the shortage of farm labor. There is NO shortage. There is only below market wages. If you pay enough you will have all the farm labor needed.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
And are you taking into account the extra money that now is going into the economy that can be spent and put it on the rise?
There is no difference between a $7.50 an hour job and paying $7.50 for a McDonald's meal and a $10 an hour job when you have to pay $10 for the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies