Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Good luck with that. Office people don't even make that much anymore.
Yeah..the numbers are shocking.

SNAP alone gives $200/week for a family of 4.
Raise the min wage to $15 and they lose $200 in benefits while getting $120 more in pay ($6 more per hour).
Do these workers have any clue what they are going to be doing to themselves ?

What the hey...give them their $15/hour.
Watch franchises close because these are independently owned and profits vary all over the US.
Watch them lose their welfare benefits and now have to make it on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..the numbers are shocking.

SNAP alone gives $200/week for a family of 4.
Raise the min wage to $15 and they lose $200 in benefits while getting $120 more in pay ($6 more per hour).
Do these workers have any clue what they are going to be doing to themselves ?

What the hey...give them their $15/hour.
Watch franchises close because these are independently owned and profits vary all over the US.
Watch them lose their welfare benefits and now have to make it on their own.
Oh they'll find a way to rig the system. They're professionals.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This one gets me every time, no one is arguing for higher wages, people are arguing for minimum wages to keep up with inflation. The rate our country is going at, only the top few percent have been able to keep up and surpass the rate of inflation while everyone else is struggling to keep up and the ones at the bottom are just Falling further behind.

If a "minimum wage" job is $15.00, then all wages will HAVE to adjust accordingly.

People making $15.00 now who actually have a skill would necessarily have to have their pay adjusted upwards.... and on-up the ladder.

This is probably a good thing, but one wonders if the purchasing power of someone making $15.00 will simply remain the same, because the costs of goods and services with increased labor costs will also go up?

Australia has $15.00/minimum, but it's a very expensive place to live.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If a "minimum wage" job is $15.00, then all wages will adjust accordingly.

People making $15.00 who actually have a skill would necessarily have to have their pay adjusted upwards.... and on-up the ladder.

This is probably a good thing, but one wonders if the purchasing power of someone making $15.00 will simply remain the same, because the costs of goods and services with increased labor costs will also go up?

Inflation is independent to wages, if you lower wages that doesn't mean inflation will go down. The point is to keep up with inflation so that people don't fall behind like they are currently doing.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh they'll find a way to rig the system. They're professionals.
I already know what will happen..FedGov will modify programs to be 100+% of FPL like they do today.
They won't change the FPL..just the percentage over that qualifies.

Because the poor will become more poor with a raise in min wage and we can't let that happen.
And we did this to ourselves.

I actually surprised myself when I did that math for 3 programs..SNAP, medicaid and school lunch.
$30/hour just to compensate for those 3 programs with a 20 hour a week job.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I already know what will happen..FedGov will modify programs to be 100+% of FPL like they do today.
They won't change the FPL..just the percentage over that qualifies.

Because the poor will become more poor with a raise in min wage and we can't let that happen.
And we did this to ourselves.

I actually surprised myself when I did that math for 3 programs..SNAP, medicaid and school lunch.
$30/hour just to compensate for those 3 programs with a 20 hour a week job.
Chances are those working a part time job would also have another part time job or two.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Inflation is independent to wages, if you lower wages that doesn't mean inflation will go down. The point is to keep up with inflation so that people don't fall behind like they are currently doing.
Ok..where does this extra money come from to pay these workers ?
FF does not have high profit margins.

The extra money is not coming from the Walton Family trust.
And I've yet to hear that McDonald's managers are part of the wealthy elite with huge salaries.

If they don't raise prices to compensate then just where do they get the extra money for salaries ?
These are individually owned franchises with an average profit margin of 4%.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
All employment could be seen as a commodity.
No actually it can't. A doctor is not so easily replaced. Skills allow for differentiation and bargaining power.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, they don't. The last time I ate at McDonald's, we paid over $4.00 for only the burger. It was good, but still not as good as a home made burger, and at that price, I"m not likely to go back anytime soon. I can't imagine what a $15/hr wage would do to the price of a burger at McDonald's or anywhere else. I certainly would not be willing to pay it.

If they are successful, the so-called "fast food" industry might just go out of business. And with it, a lot of people's jobs.
Reducing people's intake of fast food is probably the goal of this. Democrats hate workers and love leeches.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If a "minimum wage" job is $15.00, then all wages will HAVE to adjust accordingly.

People making $15.00 now who actually have a skill would necessarily have to have their pay adjusted upwards.... and on-up the ladder.

Raising wages at the bottom creates a wage price spiral. Ask Jimmy Carter about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies