Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times

Advertisements

The Seabass ID was better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What is the average life expectancy of a species on planet earth over the last 4.5 billion years?
varies.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
What is the average life expectancy of a species on planet earth over the last 4.5 billion years?
Good question, can't be that long in terms of geological time periods. We had quite a few mass extinction events that nearly erased life.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Default Global Warming News - You Knew It Was Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
varies.
An "average" doesn't vary.

I guess my Canadian friend from the education thread is correct.

I'll qualify the question: just mammals.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
And who can say when it will stop, or if it will fall back into another ice-age. For all you or I know, the climate might want to warm back up to the era of the Holocene Optimum, before the little ice-age.
We don't know. We do know that this planet's ability to recover and process our pollution is reaching a tipping point. We do know that greenhouse emissions contributes to short term pollution issues such as smog and particulate matter. Seems with better global pollution regulations we could kill two birds with one stone.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
An "average" doesn't vary.

I guess my Canadian friend from the education thread is correct.

I'll qualify the question: just mammals.
Mammals have been around for a fraction of the time of Earth's history. Do you not know how to use google, or is there some sort of grand point?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Mammals have been around for a fraction of the time of Earth's history. Do you not know how to use google, or is there some sort of grand point?
There is always a grand point.

Humans are a blip. Warmers seem terribly concerned about the survival of a species that by all accounts is an anomaly. Humans have adapted dramatically over the last 200k years and we will continue to adapt. If it gets cold we will move to a warmer climate. If it gets warm we will move to a cooler climate. Some won't survive. It's been that way for 5 billion years. I thought the Left was the party of science and evolution.

There are currently populations that live in Africa and Australia in far warmer temps than the US and they do so without any A/C. In the north, native populations have adapted to extreme cold and survived for centuries without modern heat. I saw kids drink water in India that would probably kill an American child. Humans adapt but nature always wins.

To expect us to reverse the impact of humans by taxing carbon is not scientific. It makes about as much sense as taxing a beaver for damming a river because it messes up the ecosystem for the deer population downstream.

The answer to the question is 800k years if you believe the science. We are due for replacement.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:

Humans are a blip. Warmers seem terribly concerned about the survival of a species that by all accounts is an anomaly. Humans have adapted dramatically over the last 200k years and we will continue to adapt. If it gets cold we will move to a warmer climate. If it gets warm we will move to a cooler climate. Some won't survive. It's been that way for 5 billion years. I thought the Left was the party of science and evolution.

There are currently populations that live in Africa and Australia in far warmer temps than the US and they do so without any A/C. In the north, native populations have adapted to extreme cold and survived for centuries without modern heat. I saw kids drink water in India that would probably kill an American child. Humans adapt but nature always wins.

To expect us to reverse the impact of humans by taxing carbon is not scientific. It makes about as much sense as taxing a beaver for damming a river because it messes up the ecosystem for the deer population downstream.

The answer to the question is 800k years if you believe the science. We are due for replacement.
We will continue to adapt as long as we continue to learn and study the world around us, and this includes studying the effects of global warming and how we can adapt to those changes rather than act like nothing will come from it.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:

When was the last time we had 7 billion people in an increasingly industrialized society........ Don't bother answering as the answer is never.

So essentially it sounds like you want to throw up the white flag and just deal with the problems as they come up. Am I wrong?

Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you go off the chart I provided, that is an incorrect statement seeing it starts in a negative number.

Also, you are welcome to disagree with me all you want, the change has been drastic and one that should be studied.

I provided proof that the global temperature was warming and has been warming over the past 130 years, if you choose to ignore that pattern, that isn't my problem.
Actually, the temperatures drop and that is why they go negative, then they increase, then they drop again, and then they increase again, etc. As NASA so kindly demonstrated by actually stating the amount of overall increase as 0.51°C. Any attempt by you to make it bigger than what NASA actually posted is deceit.

If you think a temperature increase, or decrease for that matter, when we do not have to do anything to accommodate that increase or decrease, is a "drastic" change, then I can only conclude that you are prone to irrational hyperbole.

In the last 130 years we have done absolutely nothing to adapt to the changing climate. When we actually have to do something, anything, in order to accommodate the changing climate then we can revisit how "drastic" that change was.

As I originally posted, I do not dispute NASA's data. What I dispute is your efforts to make a mountain out of a mole hill by exaggerating the facts, making statements that are flat out wrong, and using irrational hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies