Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times

Advertisements

Happy holidays!!!

Season's greetings~~~

Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Christmas and politics | Fox News Video

Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Surely you haven't given the subject a great deal of attention, because I cannot not even begin to list the plethora of court actions attempting to bar christmas displays, some successful, some not. And some of these cases have dragged on for years!!

Hell, there is even an organization named "Freedom FROM Religion Foundation" who TIRELESSLY work to that goal: Religious Holiday Displays on Public Property - Freedom From Religion Foundation

This can hardly be described as one or even an occasional "busybody", but an organzies effort, and these people are extreme, God hating zealots, with some pretty influencial board members, like Richard Dawkins, and many other university professors, publishers, editors, etc., including staff attorneys, and a convenient little system to "report violations of church-state".

Apparently, these self righeous azz hats are a bit dyslexic, since the 1st Amendment protects "freedom OF religion, not "freedom FROM religion.

Just try to do a little bit of research on the mattet before dismissing it as much ado about nothing.
Believe me, I've done my research... and the fact that nobody's been successful kinda backs up my labeling of "the occasional busybody." Anyone can form an "organization," and anyone can sue whoever they want - doesn't mean they have a case, though! Did you know the "Million Moms" don't really have a million members? Discuss.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,675 times
Quote:
Surely you haven't given the subject a great deal of attention, because I cannot not even begin to list the plethora of court actions attempting to bar christmas displays, some successful, some not. And some of these cases have dragged on for years!!

Hell, there is even an organization named "Freedom FROM Religion Foundation" who TIRELESSLY work to that goal: Religious Holiday Displays on Public Property - Freedom From Religion Foundation

This can hardly be described as one or even an occasional "busybody", but an organzies effort, and these people are extreme, God hating zealots, with some pretty influencial board members, like Richard Dawkins, and many other university professors, publishers, editors, etc., including staff attorneys, and a convenient little system to "report violations of church-state".

Apparently, these self righeous azz hats are a bit dyslexic, since the 1st Amendment protects "freedom OF religion, not "freedom FROM religion.

Just try to do a little bit of research on the mattet before dismissing it as much ado about nothing.
Going off of your hysterics in this thread, you'd think Christmas literally doesn't exist. However, just open your eyes & ears, since October I might add, & you'll be smacked in the face by Christmas everywhere you turn. So I don't know what your problem is.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Going off of your hysterics in this thread, you'd think Christmas literally doesn't exist. However, just open your eyes & ears, since October I might add, & you'll be smacked in the face by Christmas everywhere you turn. So I don't know what your problem is.
The problem is that he believes that his religion trumps the US Constitution. His desire to mix religion and government bespeaks anti-American sentiment.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not about you, it is about the person you are addressing. It matters what they are. You are greeting someone else, giving your wish for them to enjoy their holiday, not yours. When he told you that you can say Merry Christmas in his store, that was your clue to say "Well, then you have aMerry Christmas". When you said you are not Christian (a tad tacky IMO), then he should have said, "Oh, then Seasons Greetings".

Or...stay with me now, this is a little crazy...

We can all give and accept well wishes no matter what form they take!

All the problems in this world and you people worry about THIS?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Believe me, I've done my research... and the fact that nobody's been successful kinda backs up my labeling of "the occasional busybody." Anyone can form an "organization," and anyone can sue whoever they want - doesn't mean they have a case, though! Did you know the "Million Moms" don't really have a million members? Discuss.
Well, gizmo, I find it a bit disengenuous to insist that there is no organized assault on Christmas simply because the opponents are losing most of the battles. When ever a matter reaches the level of the United States Supreme Court, it fails the definition of a "busybody raising a stnk", and based on our past interactions, I know you to be far more intelligent than to believe otherwise.

The truth is, Lynch vs Donnelly (1984) was necessitated by a Rhode Island District Court order barring a town from their display of a manger scene that had been a part of the town's holiday decoration-celebration since 1943. The Rhode Island appeals court upheld the ruling, forcing the action to the SCOTUS, where the court overturned the District and Appellant Court rulings in favorof the town ..... but ONLY by the narrow margin of 5-4. While this was a victory for Christmas, it was nontheless disturbing that two lower courts ruled againt the freedom protected by the 1st Ammendment, with ONE single vote on the Supreme Court missing to establish the precedent that would have led to a deluge of legal assaults nationwide. Yet even this decision has not prevented the ongoing litigation which continues today.

Now, most would assume that I'm some hard line religious person, but that is simply not the case,. I was raised Catholic, which probably explains my aversion to organzined religion in general. Truth is, the last time I was in a Church was decades ago, and then, attending a friend's wedding. So people can believe what the want, I couldn't care less, but my motivation for defending Christmas against these attacks is because I understand the disastrous underlying implications should they ever be allowed victorious, which holds very negative consequences for everyone, including the nitwits who can't see past their own self righteous noses.

The matter at stake here goes far deeper than whether someone can errect a manger scene or a christmas tree in town square. This has to do with whether we allow government to turn the Englush language inside out, and declare the words of the 1st Ammendment to mean the exact opposite of it's true and clear meaning. If that were to happen (and it already has in some cases), the entirety of the Constitution, and all of it's protections are placed in grave danger.

What the liberal God haters fail to understand (I am referring to the fllowers here, not the leaders who know full well the true agenda) is that their freedom to express their opinions are reliant upon the protections they enjoy from the constitution they are ignorantly trying to destroy.

The reality is, we have those who wish to establish government as the preeminant authority, and as most Gods are, government is a jealous God who dislikes the notion that the people might look to a higher authority than itself. So, all of those other Gods need to go, as well as any restrictive measures (the Constitution) preventing it's exercise of ultimate authority. In this respect, it is a misnomer to label the matter here a war on christmas, when it is a larger war against freedom and the constitution that protects our freedoms. The assault on christmas is just one of many fronts in the larger war.

Liberal leftists can be categorized in one of two camps ... the proponents of total authoritarian control who are playing a game of Chess, and the less sophisticated, who are convinced the game is tic-tac-toe. Both are equally dangerous, the conivers and the clueless.

That we even have such legal challenges to deal with, and that it makes it's way to the Supreme Court, and is defeated narrowly, exposes the fraudulent agenda at hand. The 1st Ammendment is very clear:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof .....". What a town or community decides to put up as decorations for Christmas could not possibly be confused with a "Congressional Legislative Act", unless one is either an imbecile, or furthering an underlying agenda. Furthermore, if this confuses somebof the unwashed, the second portion of the statement should help them see the light of day .. as that is even more clear ... prohibiting congress from making a law that prohibits the Free Exercise of religion.

All one needs to possess in order to understand this is ... an ounce of integrity, a 4th grade education, and at least two brain cells that can still shake hands!

So what shall we attribute your confusion to, gizmo? And to be clear, and not allow confusion to confuse what i'm referring to as confusion ... how does the display of a manger scene in a town square be confused with an "Act of Congree" making a law? And, how can a town be prohibited by law of displaying a manger scene ANYWHERE not violate the provisions of free religious expression?

I don't think YOUR confusion can be blamed on education or mental challenges, as for some others here, well, the jurry could get hung.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
December was picked because:

1. It corresponded with the pagan celebrations at that time, and Christmas was introduced to convert the pagans.

2. It was the estimated birth date of Jesus because it was thought the Mary conceived in March.

Nobody knows for sure when Jesus was born. Christmas is man-made, not God-made.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:03 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Well, gizmo, I find it a bit disengenuous to insist that there is no organized assault on Christmas simply because the opponents are losing most of the battles. When ever a matter reaches the level of the United States Supreme Court, it fails the definition of a "busybody raising a stnk", and based on our past interactions, I know you to be far more intelligent than to believe otherwise.

The truth is, Lynch vs Donnelly (1984) was necessitated by a Rhode Island District Court order barring a town from their display of a manger scene that had been a part of the town's holiday decoration-celebration since 1943. The Rhode Island appeals court upheld the ruling, forcing the action to the SCOTUS, where the court overturned the District and Appellant Court rulings in favorof the town ..... but ONLY by the narrow margin of 5-4. While this was a victory for Christmas, it was nontheless disturbing that two lower courts ruled againt the freedom protected by the 1st Ammendment, with ONE single vote on the Supreme Court missing to establish the precedent that would have led to a deluge of legal assaults nationwide. Yet even this decision has not prevented the ongoing litigation which continues today.

Now, most would assume that I'm some hard line religious person, but that is simply not the case,. I was raised Catholic, which probably explains my aversion to organzined religion in general. Truth is, the last time I was in a Church was decades ago, and then, attending a friend's wedding. So people can believe what the want, I couldn't care less, but my motivation for defending Christmas against these attacks is because I understand the disastrous underlying implications should they ever be allowed victorious, which holds very negative consequences for everyone, including the nitwits who can't see past their own self righteous noses.

The matter at stake here goes far deeper than whether someone can errect a manger scene or a christmas tree in town square. This has to do with whether we allow government to turn the Englush language inside out, and declare the words of the 1st Ammendment to mean the exact opposite of it's true and clear meaning. If that were to happen (and it already has in some cases), the entirety of the Constitution, and all of it's protections are placed in grave danger.

What the liberal God haters fail to understand (I am referring to the fllowers here, not the leaders who know full well the true agenda) is that their freedom to express their opinions are reliant upon the protections they enjoy from the constitution they are ignorantly trying to destroy.

The reality is, we have those who wish to establish government as the preeminant authority, and as most Gods are, government is a jealous God who dislikes the notion that the people might look to a higher authority than itself. So, all of those other Gods need to go, as well as any restrictive measures (the Constitution) preventing it's exercise of ultimate authority. In this respect, it is a misnomer to label the matter here a war on christmas, when it is a larger war against freedom and the constitution that protects our freedoms. The assault on christmas is just one of many fronts in the larger war.

Liberal leftists can be categorized in one of two camps ... the proponents of total authoritarian control who are playing a game of Chess, and the less sophisticated, who are convinced the game is tic-tac-toe. Both are equally dangerous, the conivers and the clueless.

That we even have such legal challenges to deal with, and that it makes it's way to the Supreme Court, and is defeated narrowly, exposes the fraudulent agenda at hand. The 1st Ammendment is very clear:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof .....". What a town or community decides to put up as decorations for Christmas could not possibly be confused with a "Congressional Legislative Act", unless one is either an imbecile, or furthering an underlying agenda. Furthermore, if this confuses somebof the unwashed, the second portion of the statement should help them see the light of day .. as that is even more clear ... prohibiting congress from making a law that prohibits the Free Exercise of religion.

All one needs to possess in order to understand this is ... an ounce of integrity, a 4th grade education, and at least two brain cells that can still shake hands!

So what shall we attribute your confusion to, gizmo? And to be clear, and not allow confusion to confuse what i'm referring to as confusion ... how does the display of a manger scene in a town square be confused with an "Act of Congree" making a law? And, how can a town be prohibited by law of displaying a manger scene ANYWHERE not violate the provisions of free religious expression?

I don't think YOUR confusion can be blamed on education or mental challenges, as for some others here, well, the jurry could get hung.

There is no War on Christmas, other than the abject greed evidenced by the people who trample each other on Black Friday. Saying Happy Holidays is no threat to my Christianity. Neither is the enforcement of the First Amendment.

The threat to Christianity is within the christian community itself.

And, just for the record, the use of the word "war" in this context is stupid. Visit an actual war zone and learn the difference.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a liberal, and I think God rocks. And if that causes you some confusion and angst in your self-righteous little world, then great.

it's crap like this that makes me glad I don't belong to any organized religion.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
This is such a non-issue it's ridiculous.

There is no war on Christmas except for by the people who are willing to be controlled by the people claiming there is one. We have a 14 page thread here arguing points of a fictitious war.

Here's how it breaks down:

CHRISTMAS is a holiday that was created to celebrate the birth of Christ. Whether you believe in God, Jesus or anything at all is irrelevant, that's what the holiday started as. Did Christmas take a lot of traditions from pagan rituals? Yep. Does everyone know that? Yep. Does it matter? nope.

Christians do not OWN Christmas however. It's a federal holiday and one that many people, even those who are not Christians, believers, or religious at all enjoy. And as a life long Christian I'll say "That's GREAT!" You can celebrate your X-mas, and I hope you have a great time. I know there won't be a nativity scene in your house, and there is nothing wrong with that. Christmas truly is, or should be, or at least can be a joyous day of celebration for ALL people. And the Jesus that I worship would love to see everyone have a fun filled day of joy with family and friends and peace on earth, and all of that. Whether they believed in him or not. But still, the people who make a big deal out of Christ being mentioned in Christmas is ridiculous, because that is what the origins of the holiday called Christmas is all about.

Now, Happy Holidays. I swear, the next person I hear in real life who complains about the phrase Happy Holidays is probably going to get a yule log up their as....wait, that could be taken wrong. I'm going to smack them. There is NOTHING wrong with the phrase Happy Holidays. There are a lot of holidays going on right now. So Christians, next time you get butt hurt over the phrase "Happy Holidays" ask yourself, would you rather they say "Happy Hanukkah!"?

It's a greeting. Don't live your life getting so upset over stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies