Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...you were HAPPY to lose your pension in lieu of a 401k?

That's a first. I'd prefer to have both, not to mention that this was the intent of the 401k anyway...to be no more than a part of your retirement.

I have a 401k myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a set of pompoms with tears of joy if I'd had my pension replaced with one. That doesn't make sense.
I think he is under the illusion that somehow Transnationals (Wall Street) and Municipal Corps (Govt) are somehow separate. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I'm not being heartless as I'm a blue collar guy, i feel for those folks. It's the politicians who are to blame for this mess..

How does the politicians being warned with stat's and not taking action have nothing to do with this. They have everything to do with this...I feel for the common worker, I'm one myself...
At this point, it is what it is..Maybe Obama will step up and make things right, IDT so! ...
But wasn't it the often public sector unions who put those politicians into office. We all know how it works. We see the signs every election cycle: 'rated outstanding by police guild,' 'endorsed by firefighters,' 'rated A+ by the teachers' etc.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
But wasn't it the often public sector unions who put those politicians into office. We all know how it works. We see the signs every election cycle: 'rated outstanding by police guild,' 'endorsed by firefighters,' 'rated A+ by the teachers' etc.
Buying votes is the Democrat's bread and butter campaign strategy. Detroit voters got and are getting what they voted for....the politicians just ran out of other people's money.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Buying votes is the Democrat's bread and butter campaign strategy. Detroit voters got and are getting what they voted for....the politicians just ran out of other people's money.
Yeah exactly; that's the way I see it. Any smart parasite will be careful not to suck too much blood and kill the host. The host can always survive without the parasite, but the parasite can't survive without the host.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for them too, but the city was warned years ago if they didn't change policies etc, this would be the outcome.

I can pull up documentation to support this, but anyone informed knows this already. I BLAME the politicians who took no
action years ago.
Run by democrats since January 2, 1962. Yes they killed the host.

List of mayors of Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...you were HAPPY to lose your pension in lieu of a 401k?
I didn't lose my pension. I still keep what I had earned up to that point (of course as long as the business doesn't go Kaput) but from the time of change the company puts 9% of my income into a 401k (and I put 6%) and that is mine.

Quote:
That's a first. I'd prefer to have both, not to mention that this was the intent of the 401k anyway...to be no more than a part of your retirement.

I have a 401k myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a set of pompoms with tears of joy if I'd had my pension replaced with one. That doesn't make sense.
I wonder what the employee's of Detroit wish they had?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
There are other cities that went bankrupt but they didn't touch the pensions, Detroit is the firs. They are also not the only state or city with pension problems.

There were some decent people that will be hit with pension losses, but there were also a lot of pigs at the trough.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for them too, but the city was warned years ago if they didn't change policies etc, this would be the outcome.

I can pull up documentation to support this, but anyone informed knows this already. I BLAME the politicians who took no
action years ago.
I blame the stupid people who voted for the stupid politicians.

They got exactly what they voted for. Sorry, no pity from me.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Detroit cannot print its own currency, like the Federal Government is doing.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are other cities that went bankrupt but they didn't touch the pensions, Detroit is the firs. They are also not the only state or city with pension problems.

There were some decent people that will be hit with pension losses, but there were also a lot of pigs at the trough.
Something tells me after the 10 years of promising unfunded benefits it's going to be a blood bath after this. City after City.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/bu...ptcy.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies