U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 AM

28,985 posts, read 15,539,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What? You think there are mom and pop competitors to Walmart? Theres been a lot of research done on this, Walmart wipes out the mom and pops-any of them that compete with Walmart are TOAST.
You need to look at the total picture. Walmart saves millions of people billions of dollars that they then spend in mom and pop stores.

Quote:
But hey-you want to keep funding Walmart by paying for their employees welfare, go right ahead and argue for that. I wont.
So you want to keep funding mom and pop stores by paying for their employees welfare? I wont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
You mean the Obamacare that has no rules for companies that employ less then 50 people? That one?
Your ignorance is legendary. Obamacare does have rules for employees of mom and pop stores. Millions of these people have lost their health insurance policies due to Obamacare and are now forced to pay more than ever for health insurance.

Try reading a little.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
And you missed my point entirely as well. I DID in fact get yours. My point was...There are no mom and pops competing with walmart.
Typical urban myth. I don't care if there are no mom and pops competing with Walmart. What is important is the overall impact of Walmart.

This study clearly shows that Walmart does NOT reduce the number of small businesses. In fact, the states with the most Walmart stores have a HIGHER incidence of small businesses than the states with the fewest Walmarts.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or.../2/v31n1-1.pdf

Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Good post.

Most of the Walmart opposition is union driven. Unions hate that Walmart employees have chosen to not join their unions.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,125,323 times
Quote:
No they won't. While wages are sticky against drops, they are not as sticky vs inflation. If they were minimum wage would be over $10/hr right now without government intervention....

Minimum wage should be determined at the LOCAL LEVEL. It should not be a "national" dollar amount. When I worked in retail back in the late 1980's, we had trouble finding people to work in our store (Staples) in Tyson's Corner, VA. The problem was that we were competing for employees with the more "glamorous" stores in the Tyson's Corner Center mall up the street. We had to pay a lot more than minimum wage just to get applicants to consider a job with us.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,695,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
Buy China - shop Wal-Mart!!!!
Or...

What I bought at Wal*Mart tonight.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,695,230 times
Quote:
What? You think there are mom and pop competitors to Walmart? Theres been a lot of research done on this, Walmart wipes out the mom and pops-any of them that compete with Walmart are TOAST.
Well, you're right about one thing - research has been done.

Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?

Everything else you wrote is questionable, to say the very least.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:20 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,424,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is not necessary for starters. Inflation=general price increase, and wages are the price of labor. All other things equal, wages will go up with inflation with no action by government.
that is nonsense

if that were true then the min wage would be $10.74 now

Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 PM

24,952 posts, read 11,625,232 times
Wow, 2 people respond with the exact same cato institute fabrication, which has been debunked is horribly flawed:
Major Flaws Uncovered in Study Claiming Wal-Mart Has Not Harmed Small Business | Institute for Local Self-Reliance

Not a surprise as the Cato institute is well known for this sort of thing. I can link study after study showing that Walmart does impact small businesses heavily, and common sense should tell you that they do. But apparently common sense goes right out the door when you want to make a point. Let alone looking at the opposing studies.

Walmart damages small businesses near them. This is pretty much a fact, you can try and claim debunked flawed studies from the Koch brothers funded Cato institute, but even some small part of you must know you're being dishonest.

Even I could come up with a better argument. You could argue that while walmart closes small businesses that compete with them they are replaced by other businesses, which is good. I'd at least respect that argument, even if underneath it has flaws, at least it is honest, but no.

Who here believes that walmart has no impact on the small mom and pop businesses that are near them? Thats the unbelievable to think people will believe that. Remember the names of the people trying to convince you otherwise.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, 2 people respond with the exact same cato institute fabrication, which has been debunked is horribly flawed:
Major Flaws Uncovered in Study Claiming Wal-Mart Has Not Harmed Small Business | Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Did you even read your own link? She didn't debunk anything. She chose to use totally different data. And by the way, this woman is PAID to say Walmart hurts small business. That's her job.

Try finding a less biased source. Or just point to an error in the Cato study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies