Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,638,744 times

Advertisements

Idiots abound. Watch at least two minutes of this video and see how slick politicians convince the voters that higher prices are good for the voters.

And a little further listen to the facts about small businesses where Walmart stores are common.

So two lessons here;

1. Raise the minimum wage and Walmart wins.
2. Pass laws to keep Walmart out and both consumers and small businesses lose.

Why Walmart is the Big Winner in DC's Minimum Wage Increase - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM

171 posts, read 325,930 times
Buy China - shop Wal-Mart!!!! Help them build another empty high-rise.....when their bubble bursts, I bet the Chinese don't have the same reaction as lowly Americans did over the tear down of this country....there's always another ignorant country to believe they are being blessed with goods, money, and jobs. Next? Only this time, I won't give a crap about any other country. Compassion is near non-existant for this honorable, hard working American country idiot!

never mind....

Old 12-03-2013, 04:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,043,889 times
Sadly, i'm not entirely convinced that those pushing for an $11.50 minimum wage actually understand that Wal-mart's mom and pop competitors will be the losers in this fight. Which is mindboggling when one considers the renaissance that DC is currently experiencing with small boutique businesses popping up in all corners of the city.

Can we say "shoot ourselves in the foot!"?

Liberalism is a mental disease. Logical reasoning is nowhere to be found.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,285,826 times
It's common sense that WalMart would be better positioned to cope with a higher minimum wage. They can ramp up automation to keep labor costs down. And their lawyers can research ways to evade a new reg. The mom & pop shop probably can do neither.

Regulation and complexity invariably hit the little guy hardest.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,638,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's common sense that WalMart would be better positioned to cope with a higher minimum wage. They can ramp up automation to keep labor costs down. And their lawyers can research ways to evade a new reg. The mom & pop shop probably can do neither.

Regulation and complexity invariably hit the little guy hardest.
This is true. Almost all regulations help the big guys and hurt the small businesses.

Obamacare is a good example.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,240,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sadly, i'm not entirely convinced that those pushing for an $11.50 minimum wage actually understand that Wal-mart's mom and pop competitors will be the losers in this fight. Which is mindboggling when one considers the renaissance that DC is currently experiencing with small boutique businesses popping up in all corners of the city.

Can we say "shoot ourselves in the foot!"?

Liberalism is a mental disease. Logical reasoning is nowhere to be found.
What? You think there are mom and pop competitors to Walmart? Theres been a lot of research done on this, Walmart wipes out the mom and pops-any of them that compete with Walmart are TOAST.

But hey-you want to keep funding Walmart by paying for their employees welfare, go right ahead and argue for that. I wont.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true. Almost all regulations help the big guys and hurt the small businesses.

Obamacare is a good example.
You mean the Obamacare that has no rules for companies that employ less then 50 people? That one? So....your argument must be that its somehow good for these large companies, and those small 49 and less employee companies suffer from not being included?

Last edited by greywar; 12-03-2013 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: from not form

Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,043,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What? You think there are mom and pop competitors to Walmart? Theres been a lot of research done on this, Walmart wipes out the mom and pops-any of them that compete with Walmart are TOAST.

But hey-you want to keep funding Walmart by paying for their employees welfare, go right ahead and argue for that. I wont.
The point went right over your head. Not even in the same ball park. Not even in the same galaxy.

The point is that a MINIMUM WAGE would be applied to BOTH mom and pop's AND Wal-mart. It matters not whether the mom n pops actually compete with Wal-mart in the wares that they peddle. It only matters that they will be FORCED to pay wages that they can little afford. Meanwhile, Wal-mart takes a miniscule blip from their bottom line.

Mom N Pop hurts, Wal-mart doesn't.

Zoom! Whoosh! Over it went!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,285,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

I can take you to a couple Walmarts near where I live, and to dozens of mom & pop businesses within a 3-5 mile radius selling some of the same stuff that Walmart does. So no, Walmart does not wipe out all mom and pop businesses. But the more the gov't regulates those mom & pop's, including minimum wage regs, the more likely it is that WalMart will wipe them out.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The point went right over your head. Not even in the same ball park. Not even in the same galaxy.

The point is that a MINIMUM WAGE would be applied to BOTH mom and pop's AND Wal-mart. It matters not whether the mom n pops actually compete with Wal-mart in the wares that they peddle. It only matters that they will be FORCED to pay wages that they can little afford. Meanwhile, Wal-mart takes a miniscule blip from their bottom line.

Mom N Pop hurts, Wal-mart doesn't.

Zoom! Whoosh! Over it went!
And you missed my point entirely as well. I DID in fact get yours. My point was...There are no mom and pops competing with walmart.

If theres no walmart the mom and pops can directly pass on those costs and will exist just fine. and those costs are a small amount of the product.

BTW you should note that increases in minimum wage do NOT translate into a 1-1 price increase. IE doubling minimum wage does not suddenly double the cost of all products and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies