Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,913,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So what?

Do you have some sort of point to make related to the topic?
Everything I have said is related to the topic. I was responding to your questions.

If you don't see it, won't waste anymore time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,863,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
drone is a scary word
Yep, it's like saying 'liberal democrat'.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,047,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

Also, they have to work out a lot of details with the FAA. Since these drones will go from the distribution center to anywhere within a small radius, they'll have come up with some sort of approved flyways plan and somehow ensure they aren't a collision hazard. They're so small, aircraft won't see them til it's too late. Don't want one of these getting into a vfr flyway for planes, or into the departure or approach areas for airports. I imagine these drones are going to have to stay quite low for airspace safety reasons, which again makes wires/trees a potential problem.
They discussed this already.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Everything I have said is related to the topic. I was responding to your questions.

If you don't see it, won't waste anymore time.
Amazon is going to profit by delivering items to people's homes. I don't see the problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why would you put the drop point within reach of the family dog? If you did, you would be responsible for your carelessness.
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the drop zone be at the front door? Or will everybody have to create their own Helipad, sort of?

I'm not dissing drones. I see them coming and they are uber cool. Whenever technology, profit and need merge, the end result is inevitable. So they are here to stay. I Don't think most realize the implications yet and I certainly don't.
I see at the early stages, drones landing pizzas or gewgaws from Amazon, will be subject too many animal attacks and had a very "National Lampoonistic" view of the whole scenario.
I also see a down side where there will be flight corridors for these drones set up by the FAA and local ordinance. People's homes in these corridors will take a hit.
There are other drawbacks to progress but then again so was the automobile.

One good thing about drone delivery is that it will do away with tipping the pizza guy.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,293,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This is still a while from being reality. The drones are going to autonomous, but how will it avoid power lines, and especially, trees? Individual trees and branches could be quite a problem, even it descends vertically over the drop site.

Also, they have to work out a lot of details with the FAA. Since these drones will go from the distribution center to anywhere within a small radius, they'll have come up with some sort of approved flyways plan and somehow ensure they aren't a collision hazard. They're so small, aircraft won't see them til it's too late. Don't want one of these getting into a vfr flyway for planes, or into the departure or approach areas for airports. I imagine these drones are going to have to stay quite low for airspace safety reasons, which again makes wires/trees a potential problem.
200' to 500' is drone territory. west bound drones are at200'+their speed. East bound 400'+ their speed, north 300, south 500. Speed is kept under 100 mph. ordinal directions are based upon the majority direction.

Tree's higher then 200' get mapped and avoided, airports have a 1/2 mile exclusion radius under which drone heights and speeds are reduced to 50'-100', speeds under 10mph.

no drones within 200' of a airport barring a single corridor thats for the loading and unloading of the airport

landings and deliveries use a LOS to a QR coded sheet of plastic.

There you go. You're welcome. Problem solved.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,315,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Read the whole thing. The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

When Drone Warfare Comes Home | Cato Unbound

As others have stated, that's in the context of limitations on governmental power vis-a-vis the individual, which says nothing about what your neighbor - be it a real person or a corporate "person" - can do. Governments can choose to protect you from your snooping neighbor, but the rules for what Google can do with a satellite - or a drone - differ from what your neighbor can do with his digital cam. Has to do with access, essentially.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,863,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
just don't seem all that practical to me and what if it malfunction and falls out of the sky on to someone head.

I think they would make perfect targets, even with a .22 pellet gun though a 12 ga would be more sporting.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,047,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the drop zone be at the front door? Or will everybody have to create their own Helipad, sort of?
You're missing something.

Amazon's supplies you with unique drop zones (green sheets about the size of letter paper) to place out exactly where you want the package dropped. They will text you prior to dropping it so your know to come outside.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I think they would make perfect targets, even with a .22 pellet gun though a 12 ga would be more sporting.
12 ga will get you busted. Better to use one of the 1100fps 22lr air guns available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies