U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times

Advertisements

Amazon.com made headlines this week with the announcement of Amazon Prime Air, but it isn't the only company that's testing delivery drones.
Reports this week say UPS and Google are two other companies that are also testing delivery drones for their services.
Unnamed sources say UPS is "testing and evaluating" different ways that it could add drones to its fleet of brown delivery vehicles, according to The Verge. Though UPS has not confirmed this report, the company did not dismiss it either.
PHOTOS: Top 10 ways to take advantage of the 'sharing economy'
"The commercial use of drones is an interesting technology and we’ll continue to evaluate it," UPS said in a statement. "UPS invests more in technology than any other company in the delivery business, and we’re always planning for the future."
In Silicon Valley, Google is also testing delivery drones. Reports from as far back as February by news site 9to5Google say Google has been testing "mini-drone delivery systems" that it would like to use with Google Shopping Express, a same-day delivery service available in San Francisco and surrounding areas.

Amazon is not alone: UPS, Google also testing delivery drones - latimes.com

Corporate infringement of our constitutional privacy, a non-partisan concern for most of us.

Research surveillance drones and what they do before saying its all fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,683,645 times
Yeah, too much money in this one. It's at least a 2fer or BOGO if you prefer.

Domino's tests drone pizza delivery - Jun. 4, 2013

But there have been others being creative, as well, LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Ok this is pretty funny.

The world’s largest and most resilient BitTorrent site plans to redefine “cloud computing” with a plan to move at least some of its servers onto unmanned drones miles above Sweden.
In a Sunday blog post, The Pirate Bay announced new "Low Orbit Server Stations" that will house the site's servers and files on unmanned, GPS-controlled, aircraft drones.

The Pirate Bay to Fly 'Server Drones' to Avoid Law Enforcement - US News and World Report

Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,049,876 times
Sorry, I have complained and complained about the government's use of drones but what does this have to do with the 4th Amendment? Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Awww, but they are so cute and they can do tricks.

Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters - YouTube

Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, I have complained and complained about the government's use of drones but what does this have to do with the 4th Amendment? Maybe I'm missing something.
drone is a scary word

Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,239,384 times
I am also perplex how this plays on 4th amendment. I think this is cool and Im excited but every address I lived at the GPS coordinates was off by 500 to 1000 ft.
Amazon is to be delivery company for everything in the future as they will have a fulfillment center in many towns.
I'm surprise there isn't pizza delivery drones yet.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
If Amazon does go thru with this, sure hope they work out all the tweaks! SINCE i purchase a lot from amazon, not sure if i would or would not like their future venture with the drones.

Can't see a drone delivering something to me, don't know but who knows in the future maybe they will be used for all companies as Amazon. Future might look scary.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,188,178 times
Illegal surveillance:

Fourth Amendment legal definition of Fourth Amendment. Fourth Amendment synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
The American Revolution was fought, in part, to create a system of government in which the Rule of Law would reign supreme. The rule of law is often identified with the old saying that the United States is a nation of laws and not of men. Under the rule of law, the actions of government officials are prescribed by the principles and laws that make up the U.S. legal system and do not reflect the Arbitrary whims and caprices of the government officials themselves.

wow I never thought Id see the day an American could defend this. Warrants /surveillance at will. Wake up.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I believe this is the angle. Those I bolded, especially.

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution ...
quote:
Law enforcement officers need a warrant for most search and seizure activities, but the Court has defined a series of exceptions for consent searches, motor vehicle searches, evidence in plain view, exigent circumstances, border searches, and other situations.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I am also perplex how this plays on 4th amendment. I think this is cool and Im excited but every address I lived at the GPS coordinates was off by 500 to 1000 ft.
Amazon is to be delivery company for everything in the future as they will have a fulfillment center in many towns.
I'm surprise there isn't pizza delivery drones yet.
Did you see you see my earlier post on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies