Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and break a law instead of just posting a comment that you can do this if you want (go big). Then you can try using this legal justification of yours as your defense. Get back to us after your sentencing, and let us know how that felony thing is working out for you.
People do everyday. It will only continue to grow. I enjoy going to flea markets and such and none of the money exchanging hands at places like that is getting reported on any tax form. Come January there are going to be millions and millions breaking the law. Far too many for the government to do anything about. They will have two choices. Abandon the law or do things that will cause them to get removed from office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please. Its not Obama thats going to cause this, its the truly insane levels of rhetoric and propaganda.
It's not "rhetoric and propaganda" when the administration acts completely unconstrained by law, and does so flagrantly defying the people to stop him.

Yes, it is Obama that's causing this, because YES, Obama IS doing everything he can to get the federal government to NOT obey the law and to do what he wants, for benefit of HIS agenda. It's not that we recognize and inform people what he's doing that's the issue - to complain about that is to say "I love the president breaking the law... and the only problem is you objecting said lawbreaking..."

Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.

Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said.

In the charged atmosphere surrounding Obamacare, Reid's decision only gives Republicans more ammo to attack Democrats already suffering politically from the law's botched rollout.

In September, Reid told reporters, "Let's stop these really juvenile political games -- the one dealing with health care for senators and House members and our staff. We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

I guess to Harry Reid it's irrelevant what the law says.

Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare - CNN.com

Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes he does, thats great!

We also have a right to mock him, and discuss it. Whats your point?
And we have a right to point out your complete lack of integrity.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Expert Testifies to Congress that Obama’s ‘Ignoring Laws’ Could Lead to Overthrow of Government | Mediaite

This is an incredibly profound statement. It's also very true.

Which leads me to question why liberals are SO unwilling to demand conformance to the rule of law...

Perhaps one might take a stab at answering the question.
What amazes me is that conservatives are only bringing this up now, while Obama is in office. The most blatantly lawless presidency in the last 100 years was that of George W. Bush.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If you wish to foment a violent revolution, you will find that most people disagree with you-and that is very relevant.
What makes you think ANYONE wants a violent revolution?

Why don't you address the issue at hand? When the government decides law is not relevant... why would the people obey the government or the laws it writes?

Law is only valid when it's believed in, and when the writer of said law is proven to neither obey that which it writes, nor enforce that which confines it, the subjects no longer recognize the law EITHER. This concept is not new, nor is this the first mention or debate over the idea.

Try holding authority by any other means than threat of violence when you say "Do as I say, not as I do".

Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
What amazes me is that conservatives are only bringing this up now, while Obama is in office. The most blatantly lawless presidency in the last 100 years was that of George W. Bush.
It's this kind of flagrant dishonesty that gets you totally disrespected. You can't say these things and argue you have any moral ground to hold.

You KNOW it's false. I know it's false. Sorry, I won't pretend you have credibility.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
If the President changes a law via a press conference, does Congress still need to ratify it ?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and break a law instead of just posting a comment that you can do this if you want (go big). Then you can try using this legal justification of yours as your defense. Get back to us after your sentencing, and let us know how that felony thing is working out for you.
Do you actually think? Or do you just make up stuff as you go?

My statement was:
Quote:
Precedent is not a justification or excuse. It is irrelevant.
Does "precedent" change what the law actually says?

Of course not.

"precedent" means nothing other than "I refuse to follow the law itself, I'm just going to go with what someone else said". Which is precisely what stare decisis means - to refuse to consider anything, just go with the last opinion.

Anyone defending it is defending intellectual sloth and rank dishonesty.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well if the OP wants to start breaking the law, be my guest. It really doesn't bother me if anyone on City Data wants to go and break the law, though if that happened the forum would get awfully quiet for 3-25 years.
If you were to address the actual subject... You'd lose the debate and you know it, so you make up an absurd straw man.

Oh, and I'll bet you break the law with impunity when you think you won't get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies