Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The grades don't tell you whether it has been dumbed down or not. The material being taught does.

I don't about Harvard in particular, but high grades have become the norm in higher education. It is almost to a point where getting an "A" means you passed, and anything else means you failed. An A no longer means you did superlative work, it just means you got the general idea of what was being taught. My ex-wife worked at a college while she was getting her graduate degree herself, and this unwritten policy was the same both where she was doing the grading and where she was getting graded.

She was actually told by the administration at her school that a professor who turned out students with poor grades would be assumed to be a bad teacher and that the amount of students getting good grades affected how the school itself was seen in the collegiate system. She was basically unofficially ordered to inflate grades.

And it was the same in the classes she was taking. I personally got two A's. She was really busy with some community work she was committed to, so I wrote two papers for her. I stepped into the middle of a graduate class and got A's twice. Not because I'm super competent, because I'm not. I had no brilliant insights and I had very little knowledge of the subject. Certainly not graduate level knowledge. I just studied the class materials enough to put out a couple of papers that showed a minimal competence of the subjects, and got A's on both of them.

And this is why I force my online students to come onto campus to take exams (and to show their ID). This is the third time I've heard someone confess to this type of illegal activity on City Data alone.

Makes the grade inflation problem seem much less significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
And this is why I force my online students to come onto campus to take exams (and to show their ID). This is the third time I've heard someone confess to this type of illegal activity on City Data alone.

Makes the grade inflation problem seem much less significant.
In engineering major, it is no secret that some girls ask their boyfriend to do the project.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In engineering major, it is no secret that some girls ask their boyfriend to do the project.
Now that I don't actually believe. If you're a female engineering major, you have to be three times as motivated as a male.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:42 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I took some undergraduate chemistry classes a few years ago at a private university. 100 students in the two pre-med chemistry classes. Four of us consistently scored 90% (A- or above) on the tests. The average grade for the entire class was less than 69% (D+ or less) on each test, per the instructor. When grades were posted, there were miraculously numerous Bs and quite a few more As, a 21+ grade curve.

I concluded high GPAs don't mean much anymore. Students get a "participation ribbon" for paying tuition.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Grade inflation at Harvard is not a new issue, although I guess it's been making the news lately. It's well known joke amongst students at other Ivies that a C at their school would be an A at Harvard.

Probably true. However, the "C" student in the Ivies would probably get an "A" at most state colleges. I always found that peculiar when we would have Ivy League graduates applying for med school with 3.6 GPAs or under (one knew that would not cut it). Why in the world did they not go to an easier school and get a 4.0? I had a 4.0 at our state college. However, I doubt I would have had that same GPA at an Ivy, Notre Dame, Stanford level school.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Probably because an Ivy school is way more impressive than most state colleges. Maybe this person tried hard and still got 3.6 GPA . I dont see why you couldnt get into med school with that. Even in a foreign country.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sheds new light on Barack Obama's phony, unearned rise to the top.
A total of 8 presidents graduated from Harvard, including GW Bush. Other notable grads include, Mitt Romney, Al Gore and Ted Cruz.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The grades don't tell you whether it has been dumbed down or not. The material being taught does.

I don't about Harvard in particular, but high grades have become the norm in higher education. It is almost to a point where getting an "A" means you passed, and anything else means you failed. An A no longer means you did superlative work, it just means you got the general idea of what was being taught. My ex-wife worked at a college while she was getting her graduate degree herself, and this unwritten policy was the same both where she was doing the grading and where she was getting graded.

She was actually told by the administration at her school that a professor who turned out students with poor grades would be assumed to be a bad teacher and that the amount of students getting good grades affected how the school itself was seen in the collegiate system. She was basically unofficially ordered to inflate grades.

And it was the same in the classes she was taking. I personally got two A's. She was really busy with some community work she was committed to, so I wrote two papers for her. I stepped into the middle of a graduate class and got A's twice. Not because I'm super competent, because I'm not. I had no brilliant insights and I had very little knowledge of the subject. Certainly not graduate level knowledge. I just studied the class materials enough to put out a couple of papers that showed a minimal competence of the subjects, and got A's on both of them.
I can't believe you just publicly stated that you helped your wife cheat.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

And it was the same in the classes she was taking. I personally got two A's.
She was really busy with some community work she was committed to, so I wrote
two papers for her
. I stepped into the middle of a graduate class and got A's
twice. Not because I'm super competent, because I'm not. I had no brilliant
insights and I had very little knowledge of the subject. Certainly not graduate
level knowledge. I just studied the class materials enough to put out a couple
of papers that showed a minimal competence of the subjects, and got A's on both
of them.
So, you're a cheater and a liar.
Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies