Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'd love to read more about this from a less histrionic source. The only sites posting info are running identical articles.
This is all I could find.
A different story. Two groups protesting, the police separated them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I believe these protests occur every year

AFAIK Argentina only allows legal abortion in the event of rape ( good luck proving that)

Non religious crackpot site news:

Anti, pro abortion protesters clash in Plaza de Mayo square - BuenosAiresHerald.com

Protesters against and in favour of abortion clashed in front of the city Cathedral in Plaza de Mayo square. As tension mounted, the police was able to intervene and separate both groups.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
An abortion is a consequence. No one wakes up in the morning thinking, "What a great day to go to the doctor and have a painful, humiliating medical procedure performed!"

The problem for conservatives is that for many women an abortion is less expensive than a pregnancy (I know, how dare a woman think about her financial well-being!) and an abortion is safer than a pregnancy (I know, how dare a woman think about her health!) and an abortion allows a woman to work (I know, why a woman should suppress that nausea and vomit from morning sickness-a misnomer for sure, since the nausea and vomiting strike at all times of the day and night, and she should schedule her doctor appointments after work because there are so many doctor's offices open at night, and she needs to learn to work through back pain, swollen feet and legs, gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, and the like! Women need to grow a pair!) and an abortion allows a woman more resources to provide for the children she already has.

But, no, the woman was so stupid she went ahead and had sex, something human beings have an innate drive and instinct to do. Women shouldn't have that instinct, right? That is the reasoning behind female genital mutilation--that women shouldn't have a human drive and instinct to want sex. Women need to control themselves. And if they don't, they are just being stupid, immoral or irresponsible.
You contradict yourself. First you say pregnancy is horrible and women know it, than you say women should be able to have sex anytime they want. Doesn't that make the woman stupid? Having sex can result in pregnancy. You make it seem it's just a innate drive one can't control. But so many now use abortion as birth control so who cares. Why not take care in the first place and not go through either?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It is assault, and would be considered that much more unanimously if this were a group religious fanatics spraying paint on a bunch of people who were peaceably standing up for the right of women to abort.

Naturally. Of course, that doesn't exonerate the behavior described in the OP, the topic.

Not assault, but unjust discrimination and sexism? Sure. I happen to think people's right to speak freely should not be tampered with, and this includes people I disagree with. It's when they physically violate someone else and/or their property, they should have the book thrown at them.
The difference is the media would cover it if it were the woman being assaulted but since it was men being assaulted and protecting a church from vandalism the media looks the other way and the police let it happen. PC rules.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
If it was reversed and topless males attacked and spat on lesbians outside a gay bar - imagine the world-wide news of "homophobic rapists" attacking poor women! The Horror!!
Lol, pretty much.

Quote:
Women have been the receivers of centuries of discrimination and sexism at the hands of the Catholic Church. And the Church still holds to its discriminatory beliefs. So the frustration that fuels these protests is understandable. I think if one puts the degree of harm that the Catholic Church has done to women, and balanced it against the degree of harm that these women did, that the scales would show that the Catholic Church has done much more harm.

I think, as well, that the OP's source on this is extremely biased. As I pointed out earlier, some of this protest was about Catholics attacking a Jewish temple earlier in November when they were conducting a memorial about Kristal Nacht, and some of this protest was about the Catholic Church's continued discrimination against women, and the influence that the church wields in Argentina. It was not just about abortion.
None of this makes one iota of difference, in this case, for these women. They should be punished just as any random attacker (e.g., a man humiliating and spraying paint on a woman) would be.

And if they think otherwise, they are not even feminists. Just sexists wanting a better-sounding label.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You also have the right not to belong to the catholic church.
That would be a logical suggestion, if not for the fact that they keep sticking their noses into politics! Keep your (their) religion out of the laws, and I don't think anyone would care much about it. How many people do you hear complaining about "Jewish synagogue oppression?" Probably not many, if any, since we understand the concept of "just because we believe something, that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow our rules too." Why is this sooooo difficult for Christians/Catholics??

Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
P.S. Why am I not surprised that janelle is once again spamming us with "LifeSiteNews" articles? Get a better source, and then maybe we can talk about this issue with FACTS - as opposed to sensationalism, misleading headlines, etc, as LSN is so apt to provide. Can you even FIND this story from a legitimate source? Let's see.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Women have been the receivers of centuries of discrimination and sexism at the hands of the Catholic Church. And the Church still holds to its discriminatory beliefs. So the frustration that fuels these protests is understandable. I think if one puts the degree of harm that the Catholic Church has done to women, and balanced it against the degree of harm that these women did, that the scales would show that the Catholic Church has done much more harm.

I think, as well, that the OP's source on this is extremely biased. As I pointed out earlier, some of this protest was about Catholics attacking a Jewish temple earlier in November when they were conducting a memorial about Kristal Nacht, and some of this protest was about the Catholic Church's continued discrimination against women, and the influence that the church wields in Argentina. It was not just about abortion.
Do you have the link to that attack?

What harm did the Church do to women? Oppose abortions? What about the female babies that are killed in abortions?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Why am I not surprised that janelle is once again spamming us with "LifeSiteNews" articles? Get a better source, and then maybe we can talk about this issue with FACTS - as opposed to sensationalism, misleading headlines, etc, as LSN is so apt to provide. Can you even FIND this story from a legitimate source? Let's see.
The web site links to other sites, sites in Argentina. Plus Life News was spot on true when they reported on Kermit Gosnell and his abortion clinic of horrors. You don't have to look if it troubles you but others want to see and be informed about the truth.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That would be a logical suggestion, if not for the fact that they keep sticking their noses into politics! Keep your (their) religion out of the laws, and I don't think anyone would care much about it. How many people do you hear complaining about "Jewish synagogue oppression?" Probably not many, if any, since we understand the concept of "just because we believe something, that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow our rules too." Why is this sooooo difficult for Christians/Catholics??
Because we live in the world. Jesus told us the world would hate us but to still go out and speak the truth.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice. Being attacked by topless Argentinean women. I can think of worse things that could happen to me.

In any case, i don't know the tradition of protest in Argentina, so i'll just leave it at that. Not to mention that if the church has any standing in that country after what Argentineans have been through over the centuries, i sure as hell don't know how. Especially given the church's insouciant behavior during the Dirty War.
Wait what happened in Argentina with the church ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies