U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM

319 posts, read 364,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK some real life experience.

I have an ex, got on it for mood issues IE bi polar. She could work, she just doesnt want to. Her complaint while with me was that I was never home, and I should just quit and we'd be fine on her disability. A couple years of her, and *I* probably qualified for disability! She advises people on how to game the system these days.

She doesn't deserve it, but has it.

A friend tried the same route. She IS pretty unemployable....but...maybe she could get something. She has been repeatedly denied.

Another friend CAN absolutely get it-she has mental issues that prevent her from holding a job, meds help a lot, but not enough...but doesn't as her husband makes too much money.

Another friend has severe diabetes issues, probably will die within the next 2 years-cant get it because he keeps finding work for a couple months here and there. Trying to keep medical insurance enough that he can afford dialysis. In process, but probably will die first.

Another one, got his back and neck messed up at work, and has issues getting around. Not in my opinion employable. Gets disability.

Soooo Of the 5 people I know who have gone to see SS for SSI...two have it, one deservably, 2 dont have it but deserve it, and one doesn't have it or deserve it.
Yep.

I know a few people who get it too:

A guy I used to know got SSDI in less than four months. He's almost retirement age. I don't know the particulars, but his heart gave out, he was in the hospital for three months, and ended up getting two heart operations. He also has COPD and is on oxygen. He is essentially an invalid and, as he well should have, got SSDI in a couple of months with no problem.

A woman who lived next door to me for awhile got on SSDI for being bipolar. She's never held a job in her life, has been in and out of the hospital for years, and is famous throughout town (including with the police department) for being a holy terror everywhere she goes. It took her a couple of years to get SSDI.

A guy who used to date a friend of mine also got it for being "bipolar". He quit his high-paying job and filed for SSDI about a week later. He got it with no trouble in less than four months. As soon as he did, he ditched my friend and took off to Florida to live with some woman he met on Facebook and renovate condominiums. It seems to me that if he can travel cross-country by himself and renovate condominiums, he should not be on SSDI.

Another lady has congestive heart failure and no legs. It took her over two years to get SSDI. But the SSA just won't leave her alone. Seems like every five minutes, the SSA is sending her to another of their doctors... to verify she has no legs. What do they think she's going to do? Grow a pair?

This leads me to conclude that 1) policies and procedures vary with no rhyme or reason whatsoever within the SSA, 2) that not only is claimant fraud a problem, so is gross incompetence and waste within the SSA organization itself. If the SSA wants to look at ways to save money and eliminate unnecessary expenditures, that's all well and good, but it would be a good idea to START WITH THEMSELVES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 AM

6,209 posts, read 6,585,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Yep.

I know a few people who get it too:

A guy I used to know got SSDI in less than four months. He's almost retirement age. I don't know the particulars, but his heart gave out, he was in the hospital for three months, and ended up getting two heart operations. He also has COPD and is on oxygen. He is essentially an invalid and, as he well should have, got SSDI in a couple of months with no problem.

A woman who lived next door to me for awhile got on SSDI for being bipolar. She's never held a job in her life, has been in and out of the hospital for years, and is famous throughout town (including with the police department) for being a holy terror everywhere she goes. It took her a couple of years to get SSDI.

A guy who used to date a friend of mine also got it for being "bipolar". He quit his high-paying job and filed for SSDI about a week later. He got it with no trouble in less than four months. As soon as he did, he ditched my friend and took off to Florida to live with some woman he met on Facebook and renovate condominiums. It seems to me that if he can travel cross-country by himself and renovate condominiums, he should not be on SSDI.

Another lady has congestive heart failure and no legs. It took her over two years to get SSDI. But the SSA just won't leave her alone. Seems like every five minutes, the SSA is sending her to another of their doctors... to verify she has no legs. What do they think she's going to do? Grow a pair?

This leads me to conclude that 1) policies and procedures vary with no rhyme or reason whatsoever within the SSA, 2) that not only is claimant fraud a problem, so is gross incompetence and waste within the SSA organization itself. If the SSA wants to look at ways to save money and eliminate unnecessary expenditures, that's all well and good, but it would be a good idea to START WITH THEMSELVES.
See bolded. If she never held a job she does not and will not ever qualify for SSDI.
No legs does not qualify for SSDI. One must be unemployable. Sit down jobs are available in the millions. However the heart issue could qualify this person in tandem with the missing legs.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,169,837 times
The only person I know on disability grew up spoiled rotten and as an adult is a lazy, good-for-nothing piece of S. He's a moocher; always has been, always will be. Even on SSDI his wife works herself sick to take care of him and his expensive "needs". For example, he requires sedation dentistry because he finds the noise of the drill "frightening". Therefore, every crown he has (because he doesn't take care of his teeth because he's lazy and his fingers hurt too much to floss) costs $3,000.

Just putting that out there.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
10,982,920: More Americans on Disability Than People in Greece | CNS News

At some point even the Obama supporters have to admit that this president's policies are not working. We create more new recipients for SSDI and Food Stamps each and every month, then Americans who are getting jobs.

(CNSNews.com) - The total number of people in the United States now receiving federal disability benefits hit a record 10,982,920 in November, up from the previous record of 10,978,040 set in May, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration.

The record 10,982,920 total disability beneficiaries in the United States in November also exceeded the total number of people in Portugal (10,799,270), Tunisia (10,835,873) and Burundi (10,888,321).
Now, see here is where we need a government contract. Hire some Private Eye firm to follow these people around to find fraud.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
I had to laugh at your post exchange. I wouldnt have looked up the link for that other poster. Like most liberals they love having others do work done for them and then just sit back to reap the benefits.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM

21,757 posts, read 10,609,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
did you know we have 310+ million people living in this country, that is more than all the people living in greece.
lol

Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM

14,298 posts, read 7,731,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, I've heard about the states doing this. But as an individual, though, without state backing, getting on disability is extremely difficult. I did it myself, and they didn't just take my own doctors' word for it. They sent me for testing and evaluation by doctors chosen by them, not me. I had to submit the results of CAT scans and MRIs for evaluation also, not just doctor recommendation. And it took nearly a year to get through the process -- and I was accepted on the first pass while some people end up going through multiple appeals. Of course, that could just be my state. The state I live in has the second highest disability rejection rate in the country.

The process is rigorous but I can see where a corrupt doctor could circumvent it. As lengthy and detailed as it is, it does rely on the honesty of the medical professionals involved.
The states hire these companies to get their Welfare leeches off the state funded program and onto SSDI. I do not doubt that many of these people are just lazy good for nothings, which is sad, because some folks legitimately need some assistance, but the Welfare leeches brand the entire disability group with a bad rep.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,434,821 times
The problem is the FED has no agency to enforce laws investigate and prosecute waste fraud and abuse. Every person on SSDI should be re evaluated Bi Annual. There should be an army of investigators and enforcement officers investigating and shutting down fraudulent and abusive claims.

If liberals want to grow government you can start there and then start building something to protect the border

shovel ready

Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM

41,894 posts, read 31,743,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
From an NPR show on this topic: Moving People From Welfare To Disability Rolls Is A Profitable, Full-Time Job : NPR

UNIDENTIFIED WOMAN #2: The high blood pressure, how long have you been taking medications for that? And the sleep apnea, since about 2008. OK, let me change that date for you, OK? OK, that's perfect. Can you think of anything else that's been bothering you and disabling you and preventing you from working?

JOFFE-WALT: The Public Consulting Group (PCG) agents will help the potentially disabled fill out the disability application for Social Security over the phone. And by help, I mean, the agents actually do the filling out. When the potentially disabled don't have the right medical documentation to prove a disability, the agents at PCG will help them get it. They'll call doctors offices, X-ray centers, get records faxed.
Social Security Advocacy Management Services - SSAMS? | PCG : Public Consulting Group

Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM

6,521 posts, read 8,612,228 times
OHSA writes reams of new safety regulations every year yet millions of people are finding ways of scamming the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies