Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
State governments are unloading their welfare moochers onto SSDI, they are even hiring private companies to look for and assist people into going on SSDI. It seems like a real scam. go to a state, find a compliant doctor to assert disability status, the feds rubber stamp it, and a day of work is a simple trip to the mail box "Hello check."
Yes, I've heard about the states doing this. But as an individual, though, without state backing, getting on disability is extremely difficult. I did it myself, and they didn't just take my own doctors' word for it. They sent me for testing and evaluation by doctors chosen by them, not me. I had to submit the results of CAT scans and MRIs for evaluation also, not just doctor recommendation. And it took nearly a year to get through the process -- and I was accepted on the first pass while some people end up going through multiple appeals. Of course, that could just be my state. The state I live in has the second highest disability rejection rate in the country.

The process is rigorous but I can see where a corrupt doctor could circumvent it. As lengthy and detailed as it is, it does rely on the honesty of the medical professionals involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And the overwhelming most common disability for females is mood disorder.

Bascially, too lazy to work, not physically disabled, just whine, cry, and beg for the gov to declare I am mentally disabled, then sit back and get my freebies.
Lucky you for never having encountered another human being who suffers from clinical depression. Depression is a medical condition, just like any other.

Love how you brought a touch of sexism into your post too. Classy!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:29 PM

542 posts, read 691,599 times
Quote:

Bascially, too lazy to work, not physically disabled, just whine, cry, and beg for the gov to declare I am mentally disabled, then sit back and get my freebies.

I know these disability claims have gone up during the recession, as jobs have become harder and harder to get. Having any sort of disability (major depression, bipolar) is going to make it harder to get and keep a job. Have some compassion and grow a brain.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I looked at the disability numbers a few months back. Far and away, by leaps and bounds, the most common reason for being on disability is having a "mood disorder."
Disability became Part II to UE (Part I). Once the 99 week UE benefits ran out the next step was to claim disability. I guess the "mood disorder" had something to do with catching an attitude that they would have to find a job because UE ran out??? Certainly there are quite a few million who "qualified" under theft identity for disability. This administration would never look into the fraud being committed. After all, those that don't have should have, how they get it doesn't matter, nor does it matter who is paying for it.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:

LOL. Credible link please to support your claim?

And what would the overwhelming most common disability for men be, erectile dysfunction?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I know these disability claims have gone up during the recession, as jobs have become harder and harder to get. Having any sort of disability (major depression, bipolar) is going to make it harder to get and keep a job. Have some compassion and grow a brain.

You don't have to be "happy" to dig ditches or wash dishes.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
State governments are unloading their welfare moochers onto SSDI, they are even hiring private companies to look for and assist people into going on SSDI. It seems like a real scam. go to a state, find a compliant doctor to assert disability status, the feds rubber stamp it, and a day of work is a simple trip to the mail box "Hello check."
States with the highest disability claims tend to have the least educated workforce, highest poverty rates, the fewest jobs offering competitive wages and most vulnerable to factory lay-offs due to technology.

Top Ten:

10.Michigan- 6%
9. Missouri-6.1%
8. So. Carolina-6.3%
7.Tennessee-6.5%
6. Maine-7.4%
5. Mississippi- 7.7%
4, Kentucky-8.1%
3. Alabama-8.1%
2. Arkansas8.2%
1. West Va. 9%

Local economies in some adjoining W. VA and Kentucky counties are substantially dependent on SSDI. A few local law firms are SSDI mills with MDs and judges in their pockets.

Chronic neck and back pain is the most common stated disability.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Chronic neck and back pain is the most common stated disability. In some states it accounts for more than 1/3 of all claims.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States with the highest disability claims tend to have the least educated workforce, highest poverty rates, the fewest jobs offering competitive wages and most vulnerable to factory lay-offs due to technology.

Top Ten:

10.Michigan- 6%
9. Missouri-6.1%
8. So. Carolina-6.3%
7.Tennessee-6.5%
6. Maine-7.4%
5. Mississippi- 7.7%
4, Kentucky-8.1%
3. Alabama-8.1%
2. Arkansas8.2%
1. West Va. 9%

Local economies in some adjoining W. VA and Kentucky counties are substantially dependent on SSDI. A few local law firms are SSDI mills with MDs and judges in their pockets.

Chronic neck and back pain is the most common stated disability.
Aid to those areas should cease and they will naturally become de-populated. People will move to where they can obtain work or die.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

The process is rigorous but I can see where a corrupt doctor could circumvent it. As lengthy and detailed as it is, it does rely on the honesty of the medical professionals involved.
There are geographical pockets of known corruption. Adjoining counties in W. Va. and Ky. seem to be ground zero where almost 1/10 are on SSDI. The local economies are dependent upon it. A few law firms handle appeal claims. The law firms completed the documentation on behalf of their clients and paid MDs to sign off. Judges were paid to approve the appeal which means Social Security picks up the tab for legal fees and court costs. Nice racket, while it lasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies