Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,612 times

Advertisements

Tipping..tipping and more tipping...where do you all stand on this?

I know the average person probably tips 15-20% when going out to eat, getting thier hair and nails done etc... but what about ohter things that maybe most don't tip? Is it fair to expect someone who is receiving flowers as a gift to tip the delivery person? How about furniture delivery? Most places if not all charge a decent delivry fee so are you still expected to tip the people that deliver it too? How about your mailman. Some people tip thier mailman around Xmas? How about when you are staying at a hotel and you have a few xtra towels brought up?

What do you think?

Last edited by sfw1979; 11-21-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I do tip the hotel housekeeping staff, but not the mailman. I make this decision based on what a person does and how much they get paid for doing it.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Tipping is for waiters the most, since they get royally reamed in the hourly department. If you get personal service, I usually think so (deliveries don't count IMHO unless they go above and beyond).

The big thing for me is quality...junk service gets junk tips. I tip very well for good service, even just a refill at a restaurant gets 15%. I have tracked the manager down to say "If you hire more people like this I'll never leave" plus a 30%+ tip. On the other hand I have given a penny tip because the service was so bad, I have tracked the manager down and said "This is the last time I frequent this restaurant because of my terrible service".

Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Don't tip the cow if it's awake.

Oh, cash tipping ... Depends on the service. I tip my hairdresser and wait staff, unless it's a self-service restaurant. I tip the pizza driver. I tip the housekeeping staff at hotels.

The mailman??? Forget it. He makes three times as much money as I do, and has a handsome pension to boot. Not to mention that half the time he puts my mail in my neighbor's mailbox.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Let's see, people I tip................. wait-staff, barber, delivery people (except UPS & Fed-Ex), washroom attendant (but that's a whooooooooooooole different story), motel housekeeping, valet attendant in the cheesy turtle neck shirt, wine steward, car wash attendant

People I do not tip................ mailman, airline stewerdess, massage therapist (the licensed one, anyway), stock broker (hell, I oughta shoot the bast***)

Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
In restaurants, if the service is acceptable we use the "double the sales tax and round it to the nearest dollar" method for tipping. Our sales tax is 8.625%, so that works out to either a 17% or 18% tip depending on the actual tax amount.

We do add the tip to the credit card total though. No sense missing out on any of those reward points!

I tip my hairdresser $10 (the cost of a cut is $30). I'm so glad to have someone I can trust to do a good job every time, I don't mind! The shampoo girl gets $2 or $3, depending on how many dollar bills I have left.

We don't tip the mail carrier because we get all our mail at our PO Box.

We don't tip the garbage collectors, they are Town employees and make more money and have more benefits than I ever have had!

We don't tip delivery men, because the store has already charged us some ridiculous amount (anywhere from $50 to $100) when furniture or similar items are delivered.

Most of the time we have found that hardly anyone takes the time to really give good service anymore, or to be careful about what they do if they are doing a repair or other service we've paid for. Most of the time such people leave the house or yard in worse shape than it was before they did whatever it was that we paid them to do!

We do give our "personal banker" at our local branch a gift certificate to a restaurant or store for Christmas.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I absolutely, positively, 10000% REFUSE to "tip" people in retail establishments. by this I mean the tip cup/jar stores like Starbucks and some other coffee shops all seem to have near their registers now. nope, sorry, I know you guys are getting paid minimum wage, or even higher in the case of most Starbucks, and people at Starbucks are getting much better benefits than me (I work PT and get NO benefits at all!). why should I give any money to someone who just had to take my order? Am I tipping them for not messing up my order? maybe if I get a penny or two, I'll leave those behind for the next customer (ie, leave it on the counter, and NOT in the tip cup) but I've even stopped doing this since I'm trying to save money (and yes, I KNOW I'd save tons of cash by not stepping foot into a Starbucks at all, but I have limited options for good coffee at my job!).

honestly, I don't find myself in situations where I have to tip often, just restaurants and bars, and at bars, I usually add an extra dollar for drinks up to $5, and give a bit more for drinks more than $5 (so around 20%, assuming they don't F up the drink and make it extra weak!)

Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
I only tip cops & "hit" men.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I absolutely, positively, 10000% REFUSE to tip people in retail establishments. by this I mean the tip cup/jar stores like Starbucks and some other coffee shops all seem to have near their registers now. ...Am I tipping them for not messing up my order?
I agree, I don't normally do that either. However sometimes (for instance at Dunkin Donuts or a deli) the person who takes your order is the same one who actually makes the coffees or sandwiches or whatever. If I were to go into one of those places with a list for a big order of many different coffees and sandwiches and other things (say, lunch for a half dozen people, or for a construction crew, etc) that takes 10+ minutes to prepare and pack up, then I would put something into the Tips Cup. Assuming of course that the counter person didn't have an "attitude" about being presented with a big order (and I've seen that happen more than once).

Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I usally tell the waiter to study harder next time ............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies