U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 AM

29,930 posts, read 34,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My two oldest children are millennials. One went into the navy right out of HS, and is training to be an aircraft mechanic. The other is in college, on a full ride scholarship, and works full time to pay his living expenses. He even refused our offers to pay his rent for a couple of months after his recent surgery.

Yep, both of them are lazy children who refuse to grow up.
You and I have done a good job as parents.

I have a friend who hires a lot of college grads for entry level jobs. His biggest complaint is dealing with Moms who call in questioning why her son did not get a raise or the promotion. They call in sick for their sons and just fail to let go overall.

It's not the kids as much as the parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 AM

30,411 posts, read 9,092,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's absolutely a political issue.

Dependents are what the Democratic Party needs. And these 'kids' are Dependents even at 30.

Coming from a military family, it pains me to say that even members of the military are being portrayed as the newest class of victims.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am a millennial. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a leftie, if anything I am moderate. I am registered as an independent, my parents are registered republicans. I believe we need to find fraud and ways to eliminate the fraud, not the entitlements altogether.

I would say that the problem is parents enabled many millennials. The reason this is either because of the parents had to work young (my parents both had this to subsidize their families without their will) or the parents just don't care and allow their kids do whatever and then complain when the fail tests or get fired from their jobs.

I actually have not voted Democrat while I was young. I couldn't trust Obama for 2008 and he didn't prove himself through 2012 to be re-elected in my opinion.

This is my thoughts. My generation was sold a lie that we heard enough that we believed it. Doesn't help that we heard it from many different voices and from different authorities whether it was parents, politicians, educators or guidance counselors. Now we go in and get out doing what we want and can't find it and then complained when we don't want to do labor because we didn't cultivate those skills. I rarely touched a drill after shop class in 8th grade. I am sure others in my age group have similar experiences.
FTR, I don't think I've ever voted for a democratic president. I've always been right of center but I come from a conservative family. I can see, however, how young people who haven't been paying the bills might be duped into thinking that hand outs are the right thing to do out of the goodness of their hearts though. I grew up hearing how the government needed to stop stealing from those who work hard and giving to those who don't work so I didn't buy that line.

The problem with education is everyone decided to get one so now there's a glut of educated people. Employers can be very picky. There was a time when a college degree really increased your chances of finding a good paying job but not anymore. The employment market is just different. I have a masters degree in chemical engineering and 20 years engineering experience and can't buy an interview. The only interest I get is from head hunters who are thrilled to see my resume who talk of placing me fast only to fade into the woodwork over the next several months.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM

44,587 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Quote:
The problem with education is everyone decided to get one so now there's a glut of educated people. Employers can be very picky. There was a time when a college degree really increased your chances of finding a good paying job but not anymore. The employment market is just different. I have a masters degree in chemical engineering and 20 years engineering experience and can't buy an interview. The only interest I get is from head hunters who are thrilled to see my resume who talk of placing me fast only to fade into the woodwork over the next several months.
You have mentioned something very important. I do not think my generation was sold a lie. I have never thought that getting a good education was a lie. It was more or less, when we were being told all of this, the economy was much better, the jobs were plentiful, and a college education worked for those who came beforehand. I feel like it was more or less the economy is crap, and with so many people coming out of university with degrees(even hard degrees), it means very little to many employers. It isn't that we were sold a lie. I was that things changed, and many people were caught off guard by the changes. It isn't that the millennials were anymore slackers than any other generation. It was more or less, we weren't prepared for any nasty surprises. That is the thing that is hurting my generation(at least those born between 1985 and 1991). We weren't prepared for any surprises. Many were taught "get an education, because being a singer, athlete, or actor isn't guaranteed". We listened, and then things took a very bad turn. One thing we weren't taught is that anything can happen and one must always be prepared.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 AM

642 posts, read 921,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Can you cite some studies?
Quote:
There are plenty of studies out there documenting left of center beliefs of the majority of Millenials.

Google is your friend unless your arms are broken.

And no, I don't work for you.
Here we have a thread about a generation of people being lazy, and here you are either too lazy or indifferent to even attempt to back up your point.

Quote:
Sorry you're so stupid.
Again, I'm not sure if you're here to debate, but if you are, you should be aware that throwing personal insults isn't going to be effective at proving your point or changing anyone's mind.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,492,037 times
Quote:
Creating a generation of perpetual dependency accounts for the left of center political views of these 'kids'. How pathetic they are.

more: Millennial narcissism: Helicopter parents are college students’ bigger problem.

so does this get you off basking in the misery of others or do you lack a soul also?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 AM

10,868 posts, read 6,577,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Here we have a thread about a generation of people being lazy, and here you are either too lazy or indifferent to even attempt to back up your point.

Again, I'm not sure if you're here to debate, but if you are, you should be aware that throwing personal insults isn't going to be effective at proving your point or changing anyone's mind.

I won't post links demanded by leftists which are simple to google, even by the stupids.

I don't work for leftists.

I read the studies. If they are too lazy to google them, let them wallow in their ignorance.

I don't post here to debate with leftists. I don't care about them at all. I'm here to support and inform their opposition.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:08 AM

544 posts, read 501,641 times
Quote:
It's absolutely a political issue.

Dependents are what the Democratic Party needs. And these 'kids' are Dependents even at 30.

You're talking out of your...

The reason that millennials are having a hard time "growing up", is because they were raised primarily by parents who had a nice house, 2 nice cars, 2 dogs, and 3 kids.. oh, and a job that paid enough usually for just one parent to work.

Those jobs just don't exist anymore.

You older generations don't know what real hard work for low pay is.

Sure you might know a little about what real hard work is for sure, but not for low pay.

Also, it's 100 times harder for someone to get a job today, and there is usually 10 times the qualifications needed for that job then what was necessary back in the old timers day.

I won't even mention the quality of the food, the terrible teachers, the abusive and oblivious parents that raised them, etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM

6,412 posts, read 2,260,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dunno, Im in a mixed family-IE some of mine, some of hers, and some of others.

Theres certainly a component in the raising of the kids...but...its not based on political views of the parents at all. Trying to make this a political issue is....incorrect. Its a issue about the parents mothering the child-left wing, right wing, they both do it.

There is no political issue here at all, trying to make it one is absurd. This is a parenting issue, and a personality issue.
Sorry, but if you has to reduce Liberal ideology into one concept, nothing would be more fitting than their philosophy of dependence on others and government.
The nanny state is the ultimate goal of progressives and it is being force fed to our children from liberal parents, the media and the schools.

Children raised by conservative parents stand a much better chance of being strong and financially independent.
And before you ask me to quote a source on that opinion, I got it from my 22 year old son who has never borrowed a dime from me and just bought his first NEW car with his own money.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 AM

544 posts, read 501,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Sorry, but if you has to reduce Liberal ideology into one concept, nothing would be more fitting than their philosophy of dependence on others and government.
The nanny state is the ultimate goal of progressives and it is being force fed to our children from liberal parents, the media and the schools.

Children raised by conservative parents stand a much better chance of being strong and financially independent.
And before you ask me to quote a source on that opinion, I got it from my 22 year old son who has never borrowed a dime from me and just bought his first NEW car with his own money.

Kids do NOT learn by lecturing to them.

Kids learn by their parent's actions.

If both parents are hard workers then their kid(s) will very likely be hard workers.

If one parent is a hard worker and the other parent is lazy, then the kid(s) will likely not be hard workers.

If both parents are not hard workers, then the kid(s) will very likely not be hard workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies