U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM

25,044 posts, read 11,691,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The icing on the cake...they were raised by a single mother!!!!! Oh, the horror!
Yeah but look at your aggressive tagline under your name "New Jersey - Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten", you probably ate any that didn't succeed! You should really label them "my surviving kids".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

44,699 posts, read 43,237,894 times
There is something I've considered. There are many out there who have the potential to be great business people. I've learned something over the summer in terms of trying to start a business. One can have a great business plan in terms of what to sell, what the business is going to be. However, there is one major problem. You have to sell YOURSELF. It takes doing that to get an investment. There are people with ideas, but not much of a way to apply those places. Yes, there are some slackers in the bunch. But what about the persons who aren't slackers?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,404,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah but look at your aggressive tagline under your name "New Jersey - Where the Weak are Killed and Eaten", you probably ate any that didn't succeed! You should really label them "my surviving kids".....
What a ridiculous, jealousy-filled post!

Someone doesn't measure up, I guess!

Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,090,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What a ridiculous, jealousy-filled post!

Someone doesn't measure up, I guess!
Doubtless!

I have five children. From oldest to youngest: 1) An entrepreneur millionaire with an MBA; 2) a small business owner as well as facility manager with an up-and-coming, local enterprise; 3) a manager at an upscale restaurant; 4) a store manager for a very large grocery chain; and, 5) a dance instructor, judge and choreographer. I wouldn't call any of them failures and three of the five own their own homes. The other two are working on it. All of them have done it on their own after I ended up penniless following a divorce ending a long-term marriage.

Oh, yeah! I own my home, my car and have a comfortable income in retirement.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 12-06-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,681,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Sounds like this is hitting a leftist nerve, which means it's true and they don't want to deal with it.
Actually sometimes you can just stick stupid on a stick, and this thread makes a lollipop. I'm done, gonna find a real thread.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,886,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Sorry, but if you has to reduce Liberal ideology into one concept, nothing would be more fitting than their philosophy of dependence on others and government.
The nanny state is the ultimate goal of progressives and it is being force fed to our children from liberal parents, the media and the schools.

Children raised by conservative parents stand a much better chance of being strong and financially independent.
And before you ask me to quote a source on that opinion, I got it from my 22 year old son who has never borrowed a dime from me and just bought his first NEW car with his own money.
Um. This liberal (with a liberal family) bought his first car with his own money at 16. Well, I financed it (had to have a parent co-sign of course), but paid it off with my own money by the time I went off to college. I served tables in high school. It cost $9,000.

RIP Mazda Protege. You were so kind to me.

Today, I have zero debt. I don't buy your assumptions for a second.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:57 PM

27,445 posts, read 15,130,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Sorry, but if you has to reduce Liberal ideology into one concept, nothing would be more fitting than their philosophy of dependence on others and government.
The nanny state is the ultimate goal of progressives and it is being force fed to our children from liberal parents, the media and the schools.

Children raised by conservative parents stand a much better chance of being strong and financially independent.
And before you ask me to quote a source on that opinion, I got it from my 22 year old son who has never borrowed a dime from me and just bought his first NEW car with his own money.
Total BS.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 PM

10,876 posts, read 6,598,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
You're talking out of your...

The reason that millennials are having a hard time "growing up", is because they were raised primarily by parents who had a nice house, 2 nice cars, 2 dogs, and 3 kids.. oh, and a job that paid enough usually for just one parent to work.

Those jobs just don't exist anymore.

You older generations don't know what real hard work for low pay is.

Sure you might know a little about what real hard work is for sure, but not for low pay.

Also, it's 100 times harder for someone to get a job today, and there is usually 10 times the qualifications needed for that job then what was necessary back in the old timers day.

I won't even mention the quality of the food, the terrible teachers, the abusive and oblivious parents that raised them, etc.
My 20's were from 1974-83: two recessions, the latter worse than today's in terms of unemployment, with a period of runaway inflation between the two. This was followed by the collapse of industrial America in what is now called the rust belt.

I still managed to support myself without my parents' help for that time.

My dad's 20's involved the tail end of the great depression, followed by a stint on a B17 over Germany.

Cry me a river, crybaby.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,439,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
My 20's were from 1974-83: two recessions, the latter worse than today's in terms of unemployment, with a period of runaway inflation between the two. This was followed by the collapse of industrial America in what is now called the rust belt.

I still managed to support myself without my parents' help for that time.

My dad's 20's involved the tail end of the great depression, followed by a stint on a B17 over Germany.

Cry me a river, crybaby.
Your generation and the ones before it didn't have to deal with such a high cost of living and pressure to not fail under any circumstance. A lot of our generation are dealing with zero margin for error. I'm sure I could have supported myself working at McDonalds in the 70's.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM

10,876 posts, read 6,598,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Your generation and the ones before it didn't have to deal with such a high cost of living and pressure to not fail under any circumstance. A lot of our generation are dealing with zero margin for error. I'm sure I could have supported myself working at McDonalds in the 70's.
No you couldn't have.

You likely couldn't have afforded the gas prices of that era on the money you made from Mickey Ds.

You needed 20 percent down to buy a home and needed a stable job history to do it.

New cars were out of reach for most 20 somethings.

I lived with a roommate in rented apartments for that entire time, sometimes more than one.

We didn't have cell phones or the internet or laptop computers.

We didn't eat out much.

And at the end of it, industrial America disappeared and workers moved away en masse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies