Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM

525 posts, read 508,595 times

Advertisements

Is the Surgery Center of Oklahoma the model for free market healthcare? I saw a documentary on this hospital in Reason the other night. The prices are much better, but what are it's limitations?

Surgery Center of Oklahoma | Free market-loving, price-displaying, state-of-the-art, AAAHC accredited, doctor owned, multispecialty surgical facility in central OK.

Please review the site and notice it has prices listed for all procedures completed. Should this be the model moving forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
We don't have any "free" markets in the US.
All are highly regulated.

We have "regulated markets", not "free markets".

Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
They're doing the closest they can to "free market". Sadly, the limitations on the practice of medicine are probably making them charge 50 to 300% more than they would have to otherwise.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We don't have any "free" markets in the US.
All are highly regulated.

We have "regulated markets", not "free markets".
Ok....is this the closest thing to free market that medicine can be?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Until we remove a pile of agencies and repeal a vast number of mostly bad laws, yes.

The cost of medical care is, for the most part, driven by insurance and regulation, not value or need.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
They don't say they don't accept regular insurance though.
That's what will get them IMHO.

I looked up the cost of a broken bone (having just been through that with my son).
The price of about $1900 seems realistic (simple break with cast).
This would appeal to people with no insurance, high deductible and HSA plans.
They deal directly with the hospital.

But once you get insurance involved then they play the "negotiated fee" game back and forth.
This is going on with me right now.
My son broke his hand in Sept and I have a pile of "statements" showing them going back and forth on prices. Just got my first bill in Dec.

If they stay away from insurance they might have a good chance of succeeding.
If I were living out there I would go there.

I have a dentist that does not take insurance. He runs a cash business.
His prices are more than reasonable compared to other dentists in the area.
And he doesn't have to worry about any claims or paperwork regarding insurance.
If you have dental insurance then the onus is on you to do that work.

That's not "free market" though. That's just a business bypassing the middleman that everyone seems to think they need.

We're just going backward to a time when healthcare worked like this.
This hospital is going "old school".

I hope they succeed though and others pop up.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
For elective, non-emergency, and non-life saving surgeries, sure. Why not have competitive pricing?
But are you going to shop around for your cancer treatments, or have your spouse call around area hospitals while you're having a heart attack?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Comparing the price of the surgery that my son just had, the price is only about $100 less than the cost at UK medical center. But it is noted that the price for his surgery included his post op brace, muscle stimulation machine, and cryo cuff at UK, and those are not included at the OK center.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
For elective, non-emergency, and non-life saving surgeries, sure. Why not have competitive pricing?
But are you going to shop around for your cancer treatments, or have your spouse call around area hospitals while you're having a heart attack?
I think Cancer treatments could typically operate under a market mechanism to some degree because it has a higher degree of elacticity than a traumatic surgery. Obviously a heart attack is quite a bit different, but chemo, radiation, excisions of tumors, etc. all are usually planned or scheduled...therefore subject to comparison.

I've always been in favor for a single payer system, but my interest lies solely in whatever is the most cost effective for the consumer and what's long term sustainable for the country.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
No, you shop first. But emergencies are emergencies, and if insurance plays a role, that's the best one.

As for cancer treatment, YOUR INVOLVEMENT is more important than JUST shopping for a price.

Frankly, for most cancer's, I'd just say "Enjoy what life I have left, make my peace with God".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies