U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,308,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Oh yes I do. I more than pay my share and give to charity as well.

Look, every job has a salary associated with it, sometimes as in fast food workers, within an industry it will fluctuate.

A restaurant chef makes more than a fast food cook, a private auto mechanic makes more than the oil change workers. An accountant makes more than a bookkeeper.

It all depends on how much work and time the worker puts in to qualify their own self for better paying positions.
Yes and the minimum wage should also be the minimum needed to survive.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

988 posts, read 1,042,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We should bring back slavery and then no corporation would have to pay a penny in salaries. Sound good to you? I've been subsidizing their workers with Medicaid and Food Stamps with my tax dollars. I guess that you don't pay taxes, which is why it does not affect you.
End all medicaid and food stamps. You don't work you don't eat.

Abolish the IRS and the current income tax code. Implement 9-9-9 via Constitutional amendment with those 9% rates set in stone. Pare the federal government down the a level consistent with the enumerated powers of the Constitution. Gut the bureaucracies. And that is just for starters.

How did the pioneers that settled the west ever make it without their check from the gubmint?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post

Abolish the IRS and the current income tax code. Implement 9-9-9 via Constitutional amendment with those 9% rates set in stone. Pare the federal government down the a level consistent with the enumerated powers of the Constitution. Gut the bureaucracies. And that is just for starters.

How did the pioneers that settled the west ever make it without their check from the gubmint?
Most people on food stamps work... But they aren't paid enough by the generous captains of industry to buy their own food. The free market has determined that they don't deserve food, and government has stepped in to feed them.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post

You mean the people who got Indian land for free from the government?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Most people on food stamps work... But they aren't paid enough by the generous captains of industry to buy their own food. The free market has determined that they don't deserve food, and government has stepped in to feed them.
Can the economy support $30/hour so they can get off snap, medicaid and free school lunches ?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,261,876 times
Quote:
It's people like you that are in support of not giving a working poor person a fighting chance to improve their lives .
Nothing in my post suggested or even hinted at that. You're inferring what you want me to have said, not what I actually did say.

Quote:
Makes so much sense to not allow portions of the population a chance to further educate themselves to increase chances of obtaining a better paying job or start their own business.
Again, I neither said nor implied that. Where do you get this stuff? Wait - don't answer. I don't want to be disgusted, since I know exactly where you're pulling it from...

Education is free, for those willing to work for it. One can spend every moment of their free time at a library, soaking it up. What's the line from Good Will Hunting? Something about a Harvard education being available at the public library for a few dollars in late fees? It may have come from a movie, but it's 100% true.

I was flat broke when I started my current business. Over 3-4 months, I scraped together about $1,000 to start it, mostly by driving to a neighboring state to work for a friend on weekends. That money was spent primarily on business licenses, furniture and desk phones. I built a PBX from an old, unused PC (Pentium 233MHz w/256mb of RAM) and free software. Built a website using free software on a server located in a friend's garage.

So when you spout off about people not being able to start their own business because they only make minimum wage, I have to laugh. I went from zero steady income and eating boiled pinto beans for dinner to making a six figure income and having a side of beef in the freezer in only five years. Can everybody do that? Probably not. But I did, and I don't have the benefit of a college degree or even a high school diploma.

It's about attitude and drive. If you have the "poor me, I only make X" attitude, then you're probably going to stay right there for the rest of your life. You MUST have an attitude for success and the drive to realize your dreams if you ever plan on being successful. It doesn't just happen, and you can't legislate it. It has to come from within.

Quote:
Typical right wing corporate worship with no regard for the average folks.
I AM "average folks."

Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can the economy support $30/hour so they can get off snap, medicaid and free school lunches ?
I don't think the amount required to get them off all government assistance is that high. But whatever the amount is, WE are paying the cost now, through government redistribution which conservatives claim to hate.

Well either mandate a living wage, or accept that government has to subsidize low wages so that people working full time for low pay can live.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:48 PM

35,216 posts, read 32,177,752 times
Quote:
Yes and the minimum wage should also be the minimum needed to survive.
Why work at all? Just get the gubmint to give you 33k a year. There is just as good a chance of that as giving 33k to the workers with so little skill.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM

35,216 posts, read 32,177,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nothing in my post suggested or even hinted at that. You're inferring what you want me to have said, not what I actually did say.

Again, I neither said nor implied that. Where do you get this stuff? Wait - don't answer. I don't want to be disgusted, since I know exactly where you're pulling it from...

Education is free, for those willing to work for it. One can spend every moment of their free time at a library, soaking it up. What's the line from Good Will Hunting? Something about a Harvard education being available at the public library for a few dollars in late fees? It may have come from a movie, but it's 100% true.

I was flat broke when I started my current business. Over 3-4 months, I scraped together about $1,000 to start it, mostly by driving to a neighboring state to work for a friend on weekends. That money was spent primarily on business licenses, furniture and desk phones. I built a PBX from an old, unused PC (Pentium 233MHz w/256mb of RAM) and free software. Built a website using free software on a server located in a friend's garage.

So when you spout off about people not being able to start their own business because they only make minimum wage, I have to laugh. I went from zero steady income and eating boiled pinto beans for dinner to making a six figure income and having a side of beef in the freezer in only five years. Can everybody do that? Probably not. But I did, and I don't have the benefit of a college degree or even a high school diploma.

It's about attitude and drive. If you have the "poor me, I only make X" attitude, then you're probably going to stay right there for the rest of your life. You MUST have an attitude for success and the drive to realize your dreams if you ever plan on being successful. It doesn't just happen, and you can't legislate it. It has to come from within.

I AM "average folks."

Extremely accurate post sir!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM

988 posts, read 1,042,747 times
Quote:
You mean the people who got Indian land for free from the government?
I reject the premise that anything was "indian land".

That was wooly mammoth land that the mongoloid native americans stole from the mammoths after they illegally crossed the Bering ice bridge about 10,000 years ago.

Why are you so racist against wooly mammoths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies